Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post

I ordered on the evening of the 24th and it arrived the afternoon of the 31st. Packaging is truly first rate. Took me about an hour to assemble the bike and set it up according to my fit specs. No complaints whatsoever- everything was well organized, instructions were clear (keeping in mind that I build a couple dozen bikes a year) and the parts and pieces are well finished and installed. Derailleur and brake settings were spot on and required no adjustments.

So, two days and two rides.

One: Got it together in time to ride it in our Thursday Night Grand Prix, a ride for which this bike was made: fast, fast, fast with no rest at all. Picked up two tenths on my average MPH, which is good, but not so dramatic that I'd attribute it all to the Canyon. Carved the corners nicely, even with the Continental 28's (soon to be replaced by Vittoria Corsa Graphene 25's), freehub is on the loud side. Got to get used to the shift points on the 52/36 crankset, not a combination I'm used to.

Two: What my daughter calls 'Dad's Training Ride', but what the locals refer to as 'The O Loop'. 32 miles from Burke down Rt. 123 to Occoquan Regional Park, with a steep descent into the park itself and of course the same way out, which is a pretty decent interval hill. Rode this with my buddy Gary, who's 40 pounds lighter and rides a Project One. One of those people you love to hate sometimes as they disappear in the distance. In other words, not a easy ride. Now getting used to the shift points, we were pretty quick...in fact, faster than I've ridden that route in some time, and I do it several times a week. Really like the modulation from the disc brakes.

So, two rides, two days, two data points, both good. You'll probably note in the picture that I'm slammed the stem in order to get my regular fit. It feels right, but I should probably do a professional fit session to tidy things up.

Thanks for the report.

Also interested.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Test Ride!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hey, thanks for your helpful comment </sarcasm>.

Look, at 6'4" most of my local shops won't stock bikes in my price range and size, either. If I want to demo a wide range of manufacturers' bikes in XL, XXL, 61-62-63cm, I'd have to drive 2 hours down into Los Angeles. Hence demo programs, because the idea that shops need to pre-order their inventory is a disincentive to stock anything outside the first standard deviation of the bell curve. There's one, maybe two places within an hour of me where I could walk in off the street and test ride a decent bike in my size. That's not Canyon's fault. I'll see if they're headed to Sea Otter next time around -- demo programs like that are about my only chance of riding a 3T, Breezer, Ellsworth, Felt, GT, Ibis, ... should I go on?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:55 AM

Canyon/ Giant

The bikes are manufactured by Giant. I will love to see how an on-line company actually handles the inevitable frame warranty. That is where you will thank god you purchased your expensive bike from a well established bike shop
Old 09-02-2017, 04:32 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
which model is this? congrats - more reports please.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:36 PM

^^^

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...cf-sl-disc-7-0
Old 09-12-2017, 03:27 PM

An interesting tidbit from James Huang on Canyon's US move. Their website is limited with models not because they don't have frames ready to go in the warehouse, but there's no Shimano Ultegra parts to hang on them.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/jra-...kes-want-wait/

Quote:
The problem wasn’t that Canyon didn’t have framesets in stock; it didn’t have parts to install on them. If you dig a bit deeper, all of those missing models have one thing in common — Shimano’s new Ultegra R8000 groupset — and Canyon is far from alone in this situation.

Shimano announced its new Ultegra R8000 groupset in early June, and at the time, the company stated that parts would begin shipping that month to retailers, with complete deliveries industry-wide by August. Well, here we are in mid-September. Although a handful of online retailers show parts in stock (and already discounted, I might add), many top-tier brands are still struggling to get any meaningful quantities to install on new framesets. Trek began shipping Ultegra R8000-equipped bikes last month; Specialized not until this month. Giant has bikes now, but Canyon USA’s site still doesn’t show any Ultegra R8000-equipped bikes on hand.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Glory bound

Anyone else notice that these come with a torque wrench?
Also, carbon assembly paste.
I thought they shipped more or less ready to ride?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
Anyone else notice that these come with a torque wrench?
Also, carbon assembly paste.
I thought they shipped more or less ready to ride?
Carbon seatpost + carbon frame = paste and a torque wrench.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Paste is also used on the stem/bar junction, as is the torque wrench.

Third data point: second time I rode my Endurace SL disc on the Thursday Night Grand Prix, now equipped with Vittoria Corsa Graphene 25's, I picked up another full MPH in average speed. Found myself carrying much more speed through the corners than on my Merckx steel bike...so much so that I was downshifting one too many gears on a handful of uphill corners, which means there should be a little more yet to wring out of it.

Again, I'm impressed.

Last edited by rccardr; 09-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM

I will probably buy an exceed this winter. The difference in spec for the price compared to similar bikes from specialized, Santa Cruz, norco, devinci etc is significant. And the geometry looks excellent
Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 PM

I've been eyeing the Exceed as well and agree it looks like a great price relative to Trek/Spec etc.

But I'm concerned that they haven't gone to Boost spacing yet where everyone else seems to have. Don't want to be stuck with the "old" standard...
Old 09-12-2017, 11:54 PM

Never been riding in that area.. basically you take the trail that goes next to 123 all the way to the park?? it is kind'a narrow but never seen too many people using it...

Quote:

32 miles from Burke down Rt. 123 to Occoquan Regional Park, with a steep descent into the park itself and of course the same way out, which is a pretty decent interval hill. .
Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Never been riding in that area.. basically you take the trail that goes next to 123 all the way to the park?? it is kind'a narrow but never seen too many people using it...
That's pretty much it. We live on the east side of Fairfax County Parkway so I just noodle up through a housing development and pick up the FCP, then hook up with 123 and take it south to Occoquan Park. If solo, I usually do the trail just for safety- it's bumpier and has more elevation change, but once you know where the bumps are you can make excellent time on it. If with other riders, I'll use the shoulder- much faster but then you've got cars and trucks whizzing past at 60 mph ten feet or less away. As an old retired guy, I can do these in the middle of the day when there's less traffic.

We also usually take the Thornbush/Roseland side route, which adds a few miles and more elevation. For another five miles of really steep hills, do the Peniwill side route off 123 another mile or two down from Roseland.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethjs View Post
I've been eyeing the Exceed as well and agree it looks like a great price relative to Trek/Spec etc.

But I'm concerned that they haven't gone to Boost spacing yet where everyone else seems to have. Don't want to be stuck with the "old" standard...
As long as the tire clearance is okay (at least a 2.3, ideally), I don't really worry about Boost/non-Boost. It's not like wheels are going to stop existing for 12x142 any time soon, and they might even be cheaper! Plus I can swap them with my CX bike in an emergency.

But yeah, I hear ya. With MTB it feels like the ground is constantly shifting.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Third data point: second time I rode my Endurace SL disc on the Thursday Night Grand Prix, now equipped with Vittoria Corsa Graphene 25's, I picked up another full MPH in average speed. Found myself carrying much more speed through the corners than on my Merckx steel bike...so much so that I was downshifting one too many gears on a handful of uphill corners, which means there should be a little more yet to wring out of it.

Again, I'm impressed.
Thanks for the nice reports. I know it's impossible to isolate variables, but if you had to conjecture, what do you suspect are the top two or three things that make it noticeably faster than, e.g., the steel Merckx (Corsa Extra?)?