Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecycke View Post
Man, that Alfa Stelvio a couple posts up sure is pretty...

My wife has a BMW X1. I think the X3 is roughly the same size, just a bit taller, maybe a smidge longer, and would likely be too small for your needs. 4 adults with gear is going to be a stretch.
X3 depending on the year is actually quite larger than the X1. If you want 10 years out of it, I would say stay clear of x3 (had one before).

I just tried the new redesigned Rav4. Surprised at how spacious it is; enough for 4 and efficient with a hybrid engine.

You may want to look at slightly used Audi A6 quattro. That thing is spacious, fun to drive, huge trunk and a hitch doesn't detract. I'm biased as that's my current whip.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
(...)
I don't need the latest driver assist do-dads though.
(...)
Oh, I thought so too. Don't knock them until you've tried them.

You *haven't lived* until you've experienced Autonomous Cruise Control. Over Memorial Day weekend we drove up highway 101 through Santa Barbara, where holiday traffic combined with construction caused highway speeds to drop to a stop-and-go walking pace. The car *drove itself* through miles of traffic hell, while I just steered. Not having to accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake reduced my fatigue.

Blind Spot Monitor helps me keep my eyes on the road. I still do a shoulder check before doing a lane change, but if the Blind Spot Monitor shows a car nearby I don't even need to turn my head. This keeps me from taking my eyes off the road to do a shoulder check only to see I can't execute a lane change yet.

I still look for and see cross traffic when backing out of a parking space, but the Cross Traffic Alert invariably beeps *before* I see it, so I keep my foot on the brake. How is this bad?

*If you maintain a proactive role as a driver*, driver assist technology provides a net increase in safety. Saying you don't want it is like saying you don't want traction control or anti-lock brakes.

The only really desirable car on your list is the Highlander, which has these features in recent models.

Last edited by dgauthier; 06-01-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post

...If you're buying a vehicle for fashion then you're wasting your money.
You might believe that you would be wasting your money, but that does not mean everyone else would be wasting their money. We all have different value systems.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 AM

I've had 2 Highlanders. Passed the first one on to a friend and it's still on the road with over 200,000 miles on it. My 2012 with 70,000 miles on it has been trouble free. There's plenty of room in it for four adults, luggage and bikes on a hitch rack (Class 3) on the back. It's comfortable for long trips. The gas mileage isn't great and it's hardly sporty, but it meets some of your requirements well.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM

Although it will be new to market so unproven, I'd be awfully tempted to check out the new VW Atlas.

I love the Outback, but I'm not sure how comfy it would be for 4 adults for long trips, the seat bottoms are a bit on the short side compared to other luxury SUV's/Crossovers.
I used to have a Ford Edge, nice car, but horrible reliability IMHO.

I currently have a '15 Honda Pilot which I love, but I agree they are a bit boring. But super comfy, big, tons of room, and super reliable and hold their value.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM

Outback is super comfy and a great car. It's the only big wagon out there for the money, imo. I just hate the cvt.

Mazda is value priced and adds a bit of sportiness for not much money.

The new Volvo xc60 should be a winner. My wife has the new xc90 and it looks like a smaller version of that (no third row, but same engine)

BMW was cramped for me, plus I don't like the fact that it is a german car made in usa. I don't know why, but that bugs me. Outback is made here too, btw, not sure on the mazdas.

What's your budget?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Although the CR-V is in a long list, I like it a lot as a smaller SUV. Drives more like a car even though it is slightly underpowered. I have a 2007 version and probably will replace it with another one when (and if) it dies. The newer ones probably has many more convenient features. But there is always the RDX.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Outback is super comfy and a great car. It's the only big wagon out there for the money, imo. I just hate the cvt...
We just bought a 2017 Outback. I was unsure of the cvt. They have changed them from how they were a few years ago. They have "shift points" programmed so it feels like a regular automatic. It even has paddle shifters. My wife has no idea what a cvt is, and to her it drives and shifts just like any other automatic.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
We just bought a 2017 Outback. I was unsure of the cvt. They have changed them from how they were a few years ago. They have "shift points" programmed so it feels like a regular automatic. It even has paddle shifters. My wife has no idea what a cvt is, and to her it drives and shifts just like any other automatic.
My gripe on ours was the time to engage. (2014 2.5). Put it in reverse or drive and it seemed like an eternity til everything engaged. Backing out of our driveway with an oncoming car was unnerving.

I sat in the newer ones and the interior is improved ( not that it was bad). It was an awesome car though, overall. Quiet, efficient, capable, and big in the backseat.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:17 PM

If you're open to a truck, look into a Honda Ridgeline. I owned one for 5 years and it was the most useful vehicle I ever owned - tons of storage, tons of interior room, drove like a minivan. Would hold 3 or 4 bikes in the bed, or two road bikes with wheels on rolled into the back seat with the seat up.

I downsized to a wagon, but will probably own another one of those things at some point.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions so far. Should add, I already have a 2013 (prior-gen) Highlander that I love, and will be kept. This is replacing a Honda Odyssey. So that is why the Highlander is high on my list.

I drove the 4Runner, wanted to like it. But being a truck based SUV, I didn't love it.

I would love a wagon. There is no good reason that the Outback isn't higher on my list. Wish there were more options out there in a decent sized wagon. Really wish there was still a Mazda 6 wagon.
2017 VW Alltrack
Old 06-01-2017, 12:33 PM

I bought a Toyota Highlander SX this weekend. I give it a thumbs up
Old 06-01-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Outback is made here too, btw, not sure on the mazdas.

What's your budget?
All current Mazdas that are sold in the USA are made in Japan.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Last edited by Anarchist; 06-06-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Recreational User

We have a 2016 Highlander. No complaints and would purchase again. Traded in Outback. If any specific questions just ask. I have a Thule T2 4 bike on rear and a massive top box on top for those long trips. Our other cars are a Honda CRV and a VW Eurovan camper van.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"

Last edited by alembical; 06-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.