Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'm not sure if they'll fit 32s, but check the Domane series from Trek. Or the Scott Addict series

If you open up to discs, then it's an easier question to answer

M
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I'm not sure if they'll fit 32s, but check the Domane series from Trek. Or the Scott Addict series

If you open up to discs, then it's an easier question to answer

M
Agreed. I'm liking the idea of being able to switch between 700x32-ish and 650(b)x47-ish. I'm still enough of a retrogrouch to hold off for the time being, but I wouldn't rule it out for the future.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
funny you mention this.. i just mounted some brand new bon jons to a set of belgium+ this morning (tubeless).. park caliper reads right around 35.85mm at 55 psi.. I leave the air up for a while right after mounting.. i usually run these at 45r 40f
regardless.. plenty of clearance with the br-r600.

The gravel kings mentioned above^ measure 37.46mm on an 18mm internal rim as well.

I dont' have a ton of time on the mr pink but it feels damn good with the carbon fork.. i had the pink one, and ended up sizing down and bought bmeryman's frame. Its a practical bike that can handle a big tire and feels great at speed and getting to speed. I ride 95% gravel so keep that in mind as far as my review is concerned. may not translate to roadie life idk. One thing that sucks is airing the tires down to pull the wheel but thats the only negative ive experienced. good luck with your search
Paul Racer brakes > calipers for that reason. Plus better power and modulation than calipers. My all-road bike has 2 sets of (alu rim) wheels/tires for pavement and gravel, I love the Pauls with both. They're expensive, but the one component that you'll move to the next bike when you move on, assuming you don't drink the disc Koolaid in the meantime. As long as I'm using alu rims, I don't see a need for discs on a gravel bike, no complaints about the Pauls. Opinions vary

Last edited by zennmotion; 09-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:41 PM

If steel is ok with you, consider a Milwaukee Road (Ben's Cycle) made by Waterford. Slightly sloping long in the back 73 x 73 pretty light, mid reach brakes, 35s fit fine, 28s with fenders. Mine has been a CX racer, commuter, placeholder while waiting for a custom, and lately a trailer puller.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
My ears perked up at this as I have exactly what you describe:

Good bike, does what I ask it to do nicely, but only has room (barely) for 700x30 alas.
Awfully pretty bike, there.

I'd run across the reference on the iBob list, but now can't find it... Perhaps another model, perhaps I'm just misremembering.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM
extremely tall

Black Mountain Cycles road.

Ticks all your boxes.

http://blackmtncycles.com/tech-info/road-frames/
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
Black Mountain Cycles road.

Ticks all your boxes.

http://blackmtncycles.com/tech-info/road-frames/
D'oh!

Can't believe I forgot that one. I've looked at them many times and rode with Mike Varley at the end of last year's Eroica California. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I just got a little chubby, is that normal? this bike is dead sexy man, im envious. One more for the list.
lol I just saw this. thanks buddy!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
D'oh!

Can't believe I forgot that one. I've looked at them many times and rode with Mike Varley at the end of last year's Eroica California. Thanks for the reminder.
Had one. Kinda heavy and dead feeling to me. Your results may vary. The Genesis replaced it. Like the Genesis better. But, currently have my eye on a Gunnar Sport. Made in the USA and all. Damn I'm fickle...
Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 PM

Gunnar

I have a Gunnar Sport with the steel fork and love it. I have two sets of wheels, one with mavic GP4 and Vitorria 25mm Corsa Elites and another with DT 440s with Hutchinson 32mm Sectors set up tubeless. I have fit Jack Browns 33mm with ease so most 35mm that are true to size should fit.

Have had the bike since 2007 and love it enough i am going to send it in for a respray.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 PM

I absolutely love my Gunnar Crosshairs. Think you can run up to 40mm tires, but it's as responsive and fast as a road bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
I have a Gunnar Sport with the steel fork and love it. I have two sets of wheels, one with mavic GP4 and Vitorria 25mm Corsa Elites and another with DT 440s with Hutchinson 32mm Sectors set up tubeless. I have fit Jack Browns 33mm with ease so most 35mm that are true to size should fit.

Have had the bike since 2007 and love it enough i am going to send it in for a respray.

Hey Ken, would love to see a pic of your Gunnar Sport!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 AM

https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadini
Old 09-10-2017, 12:32 PM

More steel option: Salsa Casseroll, Rawland Nordavinden, Honey Winterando, Rivendell Roadeo, Cielo Sportif

And the mythic Cervelo R3 "mud", if you can ever find one.
Trek Domane RSL and Colnago EPS are possible candidates, as per this thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=201843
Giant OCR circa '06-'08
Trek Pilot

Still curious about other options that are lighter weight than steel, if you think of any.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 09-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
More steel option: Salsa Casseroll, Rawland Nordavinden, Honey Winterando, Rivendell Roadeo, Cielo Sportif

And the mythic Cervelo R3 "mud", if you can ever find one.
Trek Domane RSL and Colnago EPS are possible candidates, as per this thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=201843
Giant OCR circa '06-'08
Trek Pilot

Still curious about other options that are lighter weight than steel, if you think of any.
Check out the Specialized Roubaix. Its a true do-it-all bike, and is suitably lightweight. Pretty much the same for the Domane, and Giant has their version too. But I like the Roubaix the best.