Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
takes a real 'special' kind of person to turn what's about to happen to Florida into a political discussion.
I'm not going to go 'there' other than to say (i) it's a current issue, (ii) presumably, this is a place where some degree of levity and lightheartedness is both welcomed and tolerated, (iii) I feel doubly punctured by your selective inclusion of only certain 'offenders' and (iv) I won't be casting any aspersions your way solely on account of the fact that we might disagree with respect to a particular topic. Have a nice day.

Last edited by PQJ; 09-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Let's keep on topic or is that off topic ?

It's a bad storm that is going affect a lot more people than it has already. Having worked medical missions in Haiti I know that country has little ability to take even a glancing blow to the northern part of the island.

If Miami takes a direct hit it's going to have a huge impact.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:13 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
It's a bad storm that is going affect a lot more people than it has already. Having worked medical missions in Haiti I know that country has little ability to take even a glancing blow to the northern part of the island.

If Miami takes a direct hit it's going to have a huge impact.

https://www.windy.com/?gfs,24.367,-76.520,6

Fortunately it looks like Haiti is going to be spared the worst of it.

Savannah may not fare so well;
https://www.windy.com/?gfs,2017-09-1....902,-83.661,6
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Savannah could get worked over really hard if the river floods.

I have family near the Ogeechee which isn't far away and they're heading out. They're just off the banks of it and no way sticking around to find out what a 3' surge would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
https://www.windy.com/?gfs,24.367,-76.520,6

Savannah may not fare so well;
https://www.windy.com/?gfs,2017-09-1....902,-83.661,6
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=BobO;2230637]https://www.windy.com/?gfs,24.367,-76.520,6

Thanks for that. They still have little ability to deal with the flooding that will occur.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
Well I'm right smack in it's path here in S Fla - but- since the winds rotate directions as it passes I should be able to plan my ride so I have a helluva tailwind both ways!
Man, if you mess up the timing on this, that's a nasty headwind!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 PM

I'm about 200 miles N of Miami....(NE of Orlando) and we don't know where the storm is going yet. But people are panicking. Grocery stores are cleaned out, and there is no gas around. People just go nuts.....and even if storm comes this way....it's about 3 days out for us. People buy all this water....and yet even though I have been thru a lot of power loss times thru the years with storms, have never lost water. We don't flood around here. Faucets still work. Pool has 18000 gallons clean water in it. Neighbors the same. Will ride Saturday probably. At least wife laid in a good supply of beer.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM

water purification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I'm about 200 miles N of Miami....(NE of Orlando) and we don't know where the storm is going yet. But people are panicking. Grocery stores are cleaned out, and there is no gas around. People just go nuts.....and even if storm comes this way....it's about 3 days out for us. People buy all this water....and yet even though I have been thru a lot of power loss times thru the years with storms, have never lost water. We don't flood around here. Faucets still work. Pool has 18000 gallons clean water in it. Neighbors the same. Will ride Saturday probably. At least wife laid in a good supply of beer.
seems overlooked in prep--I think I'd have a life straw or something similar if I lived in an area subject to flooding or other cause where water supply pumps could get knocked out. and a camping solar shower, 'cause who wants to deal with cold showers.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
seems overlooked in prep--I think I'd have a life straw or something similar if I lived in an area subject to flooding or other cause where water supply pumps could get knocked out. and a camping solar shower, 'cause who wants to deal with cold showers.
We keep a life straw a couple dehydrated meals, crank powered radio and a handful other things in our emergency kits in each of the cars. We also have more sophisticated water purification setups stored at the house that we use when camping and backpacking. Could always bust those out and the propane stove if things really got desperate. Though for us, a long term fend for yourself situation would likely be from a blizzard or ice storm which carries a different set of problems to mitigate.

We have friends in the FL/MIA area. By chance, they had planned a several week trip to PA and will miss all of it. Crazy lucky.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
This storm is a killer. Get out of there if you can. Harvey was bad because of the shear amount of water falling, and collecting in flood prone areas.

Irma is going to cause structural damage beyond anything in recent history. Based on what I'm reading, people are going to be talking about this one like we in New England talk about the Hurricane of 1938.
Once again, the wind gets the headlines and the water is what's going to kill people.
The storm surge and possible high tide could put everything under 20 feet of water, not counting waves.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM

It's spooky. We're on the space coast of FL. Bugging out tomorrow morning with my parents (50s/60s), three grandparents (85+) with varying levels of alzheimer's and general old people-ness, and my mentally handicapped aunt and uncle. I can't even imagine how disorienting and scary this is for my grandmother with alzheimer's.

I topped up with gas at about 8pm this evening, no line or anything at any of the gas stations on the barrier island. Publix this afternoon was out of almost everything bread-like besides some random bagels. Grabbed a couple packages of plain bagels and some peanut butter to add to our boxes of stuff we're taking.

No plain water at all. Some sparkling water - maybe like five cases. Some vitamin water, tons of sodas, not much gatorade/powerade.

We're only going as far as Orlando, which looks like it will still get potentially devastating wind, but at least won't get the 1-3 meters of swell in the intracoastal waterway that was projected as of the 5pm update according to the local papers. That puts about 1-2 meters of water in my parents' house, similar amounts in my grandparents' place and in the bike shop at which I work.

I was fully mentally expecting during hurricane Matthew last year to have no house, no job, and my car which we had to leave behind all destroyed. Was lucky then, who knows this time.

I know there are other paceliners here on the spacecoast, as well as other parts of florida..hopefully everyone is as prepared as they can be, and is able to get outta dodge and to somewhere with relative safety.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Man, if you mess up the timing on this, that's a nasty headwind!
that's what sag support is for!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 PM

Here in Tampa we're getting ready and mostly holding tight. Some areas on the coast are going to be evacuated. We've been lucky on wind and flood control is actually good in this region.

If no trees land on the house Sonic-Wife and I will be okay and we've plans B and C if we aren't.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
Here in Tampa we're getting ready and mostly holding tight. Some areas on the coast are going to be evacuated. We've been lucky on wind and flood control is actually good in this region.

If no trees land on the house Sonic-Wife and I will be okay and we've plans B and C if we aren't.
My in-laws are up in NC as of today, from Tampa. It seems that the course has Irma going right through that area as of now. Hard to know the wind damage once it goes inland. Rain may be the big problem.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Administrator

threads merged and renamed to keep the discussion centralized.