Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 09:49 AM

Thankfully VdP was going so fast at the time that his spokes acted like a solid barrier to the hat!

But kidding aside, what an awfully malicious (stupid?) thing to do.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:57 AM

I'm guessing it was more stupid than malicious--seems like something a child would do "just to see what would happen." Doesn't mean she shouldn't face consequences for it, but it's just too odd to be anything but stupid.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:10 PM

Intent

Depending on which viewpoint footage you view ,it’s obvious there was real intent to get the hat in amongst the spokes/fork and the look on her face isn’t some naive childish giggle it’s more along the lines of ‘well I tried ‘ ,funny enough decades ago I went to Paris to watch the worlds cyclo cross which his father Adrie won and it was the first time I’d encountered the Dutch/Belgie/French business of throwing beer and spitting on the athletes as they passed [warning political content :- to paraphrase Clinton I neither inhaled nor partook ]
Old 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm guessing it was more stupid than malicious--seems like something a child would do "just to see what would happen." Doesn't mean she shouldn't face consequences for it, but it's just too odd to be anything but stupid.
I agree - she just looked like a stupid person indulging a whim and ignoring what what the potential consequences would be. I have a 12yr old boy, and he wouldnt have done that, which says something.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:25 PM

Her lawyer comment didn`t age well....

"No right-thinking person would do something like that, right?”
Old 04-16-2024, 12:42 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Yunge View Post
Her lawyer comment didn`t age well....

"No right-thinking person would do something like that, right?”
From what I saw she's trying the "I had a few drinks, give me a break" defense which is not a strong defense.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:42 PM
Randomhead

MvDP got taken down a couple of years ago by fan detritus, right?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:37 PM

Make old girl ride down a hill on a bike and have someone put an aluminum bat in the front spokes. That'll cure it. While we're at it, use the bat on anyone who light flares or incendiary devices around bike races. That stuff is toxic.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 04-16-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:08 PM

It was clearly intentional and spectacularly stupid but I don't believe it was malicious.

As cyclists, we all know that if the cap had got jammed between the tyre and the fork, Mathieu could have gone over the bars, but I suspect she wasn't that clued up, maybe not even slightly - if she had been, she would likely have been scared to even try it, given the prospective consequences for her as well as for the rider.

Don't know why she did it, she probably doesn't either, especially now, but I really don't think it was with the intention of bringing the big man down. How you take it from there, though, is up to you.

Last edited by kylecycler; 04-16-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:10 PM

When I first heard of this several days ago, in my mind's eye, I pictured a man as the culprit. #stereotyping Does this make me guilty of misandry?
Old 04-16-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecycler View Post
It was clearly intentional and spectacularly stupid but I don't believe it was malicious .
Not sure I can follow this logic... Do something that could seriously injure or kill a rider in the middle of a crowd of spectators, but it is ok because it was done for fun?
Old 04-16-2024, 06:21 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Not sure I can follow this logic... Do something that could seriously injure or kill a rider in the middle of a crowd of spectators, but it is ok because it was done for fun?
I'm guessing the thought is similar, in an extreme way, to murder and negligent homicide.. the former was done with intent and the latter was a result of someone's negligence.. wasn't done on purpose, but the person is still held accountable.. certainly the lady threw the hat on purpose, but did she intend to harm the rider (maybe she did) or just thought "it would be fun"? at least that's my very uneducated understanding of negligence from watching some tv and taking a business law class.. so take it with a grain of salt..

the act was wrong and I hope she is held accountable for sure!

Last edited by fourflys; 04-16-2024 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecycler View Post
It was clearly intentional and spectacularly stupid but I don't believe it was malicious.

As cyclists, we all know that if the cap had got jammed between the tyre and the fork, Mathieu could have gone over the bars, but I suspect she wasn't that clued up, maybe not even slightly - if she had been, she would likely have been scared to even try it, given the prospective consequences for her as well as for the rider.

Don't know why she did it, she probably doesn't either, especially now, but I really don't think it was with the intention of bringing the big man down. How you take it from there, though, is up to you.
I respectfully disagree. If the woman had no idea a hat could send the rider over the bars, *what was the purpose of flinging a hat at his bike*?

If you watch the first video of the frame-by-frame slow motion, you can see she even timed the throw to ensure the hat hit the front wheel. It was intentional, malicious, and the old creep knew exactly what she was doing.

Last edited by dgauthier; 04-16-2024 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I'm guessing the thought is similar, in an extreme way, to murder and negligent homicide.. the former was done with intent and the latter was a result of someone's negligence.. wasn't done on purpose, but the person is still held accountable.. certainly the lady threw the hat on purpose, but did she intend to harm the rider (maybe she did) or just thought "it would be fun"? at least that's my very uneducated understanding of negligence from watching some tv and taking a business law class.. so take it with a grain of salt..

the act was wrong and I hope she is held accountable for sure!
In my state I could make a great argument that anyone at a cycling event would have some knowledge of how things work and would know that tossing the hat AT the wheel would/could cause a wreck. Negligence and intent have an extremely gray line between them.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
In my state I could make a great argument that anyone at a cycling event would have some knowledge of how things work and would know that tossing the hat AT the wheel would/could cause a wreck. Negligence and intent have an extremely gray line between them.

I saw an article a few days ago on a Belgian site that showed a different cell phone angle of the women. She actually walks up, looks left and right to see if anyone is watching her, then aims and shortarms the cap at the wheel. Clearly premeditated. The article also said that in Flanders, there is a specific law that says when a cap is thrown into spokes of a bike, the cap is considered a deadly weapon. This seems in order for a cycling nation like Belgium to have that one covered.