Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
JRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieKate
Hmm, didn't this thread start with watching women in bikinis in the rain?
For once, thread drift made the discussion more interesting and thoughtful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieKate
dauwhe, thanks for the article on Lolo Jones. I will watch her with a more educated eye.
I was curious because she came from the city where I grew up (but in much more difficult circumstances!) So I did a bit of googling, and she sounds like an interesting person. She raised money to help one of the Iowa flood victims, and has donated money and equipment to the high school track team.

Lots of stuff here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...NEWS/808120374

Dave
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM

I didn't find Jones' reaction at all condescending towards her fellow competitors or "hogging the spotlight". She trained for years, was the favorite, was running a brilliant race, and made a rare and fatal mistake at the worst possible time, which she admitted. NBC first showed a fair amount of footage of Dawn Harper celebrating, and then showed maybe 20 seconds of LoLo down on the track, after which she spoke very eloquently with Bob Neumeyer.

Yes, for 10-15 seconds she was down on the track, I think in real shock at what had just happened. She was initially just devastated, as Gail Devers was. I think I would have had the same reaction. I've seen many other athletes at these Games let their emotions out, and I think they have every right to do so: it's their entire life.

Frankly, I thought she was extremely gracious and well spoken after the race (some "losers" don't even grant interviews): she congratulated and hugged the winners, and she said,"It's the hurdles: if you don't clear them you don't deserve to be champion". What is crass about that?

Are people criticizing May/Walsh for their celebration? Or Michael Phelps chest-thumping on the deck? Or any of the other jumping, leaping, screaming, smiling, flag-waving winners?

As far as Rogge's comments re: Bolt, they are idiotic, imho. Rogge is out of touch with the "modern era" and needs to pull that stick out....

What Bolt did was absolutely amazing, and he had every right to celebrate, I think. It's well known that he is a ham; it's also true that many sprinters use every psychological tactic they can, and the relief they feel after a win like that must be incredible. He also congratulated his competitors, and I see nothing wrong with doing a bit of reggae jig after doing something unprecedented in history. He is funny, and I think he actually creates a good vibe with his competitors. I loved Maurice Greene for the same reasons: he ran his races well, and let his emotions show, and everyone respected him. I like "emotional" athletes, and I far prefer them to the pent-up, "correct", nervous nellies....

The four highlights of "crassness" I have seen during these Games are Bela Karolyi's jingoistic rants; Chris Collinsworth's ass-kissing and totally useless "commentaries"; and the 2 women pole-vaulters, Isinbayeva, who won, and then said she loved being a "diva", and did completely ignore the other women, and Stuczynski, who got silver and then acted as if the entire world had collapsed.

Lolo:
Video of the entire race (sorry, Swedish commentary) Is Dawn Harper consoling/acknowledging LoLo?
Photo/video of the race/LoLo's reaction Her real tears are under the stands, alone and in private.
Her post-race comments Where's the crassness? She congratulates her competitors, with real grace.
Gail Devers' comments Understanding.
Her work and community service She seems like an amazing person, and she comes from an extremely tough family/personal background.

Pure class; no crass....
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

This is a real Olympics original: Heart-warming back story followed by gut-wrenching competition followed by ad nauseam dissection of the situation.

Nothing personal guys, but in my book this one rates a big

YAWN
Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM

I thought she was classy as well. Kind of like the Swedish hurdler who also ate it. Yes, she is also fine. And yes, she also hugged the other competitors.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Kevan's Rose

I often find it interesting how we so often criticize how a world class athlete, performing at a level most of us can't relate to, reacts in certain situations. The incredible preparation, time, energy, and personal sacrifices they make are staggering. They work for years and they often see their amazing efforts simply almost instantaneously change into bitter disappointment. They react emotionally and it is fully understandable as to why. They are humans first and athletes second.

LoLo Jones is an emotional individual. She showed some. So what? She was bitterly disappointed. Very shortly after the race she was interviewed and she handled it with class. In addition, she congratulated the winners after the race. What do you expect? A robot??

Sandy
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
88mike

LoLo was nothing but classy after the race.
cheers - Fixed October 16, 2007
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
YAWN
then again, there's always beach volleyball on a rainy day...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Did you see the slow motion images of the race shot from the side? Poetry in motion! Incredible.