Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 10-16-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
where's waldo? I like how the silca pump made an appearance...but, where is the ottrott?

hampco is looking good tim.
Thanks, Paul. I have a few more miles on it now and it strikes me as one of the best descending bikes I've ever ridden--so amazingly smooth and stable. Everything else is stellar, too, but it's noticeably nice downhill.

In the pic with the new Hampco and the Firefly, next to the Firefly is the Paramount and next to that is the Ottrott.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:28 PM

I think the safe is pretty impressive too. I can't imagine what that thing weighs!

Does the Hampsten descend as well as the Legend I got from you? That thing is unbelievable.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:39 PM

Pretty Bike. A nice change from the sea of bare/matte carbon frames out there today.

Nice work.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Thanks, it's a great bike; really fun to ride.

Bill, the descending is definitely in the same ballpark as the Serotta.

Tim
Old 10-16-2016, 10:25 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
In the pic with the new Hampco and the Firefly, next to the Firefly is the Paramount and next to that is the Ottrott.
def where waldo...I can see the F3 logo on the fork if I stare with single malt in hand
Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Beautiful frame!
One small issue. The middle strip is the wrong orientation. It's suppose to be angled the other way.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:22 PM

I noticed that right away, but according to Steve Hampsten, Andy had two versions of that color scheme. The one that Curt Goodrich used as a model is in Jan Heine's book apparently (not that I knew it existed). So I got the rarer, more valuable version . . . .

The one you're thinking of looks like:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 PM

It's nice to know that you appreciate the finer details. In any event, I did not know that Serotta (or John Slawta) painted some with a different angle for the seat tube stripes.

Where did the bike in the picture come from? It's a later replica of the Huffy. That bike has vertical rear dropouts and a carbon fork.

The original had horizontal dropout and steel fork. GCN has a video of a nicely restored Huffy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqHLNGl3xQ

BTW, who made your Hampsten?
Who made the wall display stand? It's really cool.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 PM

Great stuff! That team bike is on the wall at my LBS, Signature Cycles, in Greenwich, CT. I live about 15 miles from there. Interesting that it's a later replica; would not have noticed that.

Peter Graham builds the new Hampsten Cycles carbon frames in Seattle. He's the former head guy at MadFiber Wheels, iirc. He builds them exclusively for the Hampstens. When Andy Hampsten saw an early picture of the frame, he said it'd look good with Gavia Pass slushcicles hanging off of it. It's a custom frame that retails for around $4,200 for F/F (plus a little extra for the 7-Eleven paint job).

Not sure who made Signature's wall fixtures, but they are cool and they come in a wall version and a floor version for displaying bikes.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 PM
"Quasi" Dealer

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5095.jpg (47.8 KB, 445 views)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 AM

Sweet!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM

Well, it's been a few months and I've been tweaking the Hampco a bit. I did indeed lower the bars, partially by removing spacers and partially by going with a Thompson stem that's 10 degrees. There was a mystery creak that Signature Justin solved for me that was a weird one-off: a piece of black plastic masking tape under the seat collar. And I've been running Shamal Milles (maybe my favorite wheels for their all-around competence) with 28mm Corsas. I thought I might take this to Mallorca but the Firefly won out because I wanted to try the disc brakes over there. I put a Potenza RD on it with an 11-32 cassette in anticipation of the trip and it works seamlessly, btw.

Cell phone pic from Monday:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM

I ogle that bike every time I walk in. It is so perfect. If I owned it, I'd ride it on Sundays, and display it the rest of the week on the living room wall. Well, ok maybe on my home office wall.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
The one you're thinking of looks like:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM

That is so nice

That is so nice and made even nicer by it being my size-ish. Bikes just look 'right' when theyre my size!

Love the wheels. Love everything.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:08 AM

A beautiful bike that you won't see everyday. Made by nice people. Then again I am a bit of a fanboy of the family.