Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 09-17-2014, 03:20 AM

Team Zanconato cyclocross bike

2009 team Zanconato cyclocross bike. Mike built this for me when I was racing on his New England cross team. Only took me half a decade to post some decent pictures!

The road riding here in Beijing is spectacular. Unfortunately I have to ride through about 7 miles of hellish traffic to get out to those wonderful roads. Lately it just seems like too much trouble and also too dangerous to ride through the traffic.

Luckily, I found several gravel trails that start near my house, and continue for miles. I have no idea how far it goes. 30-40 miles out, maybe 1,000 miles out. For the next couple of months I am designing several all gravel routes, up to 35 miles long, with almost no traffic.

I rode much of the gravel on my Seven road bike the other day, but near the 30 mile mark, I was so tired it was just not fun.

I think this cross bike will be the perfect bike for these gravel rides.

The frameset uses PegoRichie tubing and (from what I remember...) and weighs around 2200 grams for the frame and fork. It is a beautiful color called bitter sunset orange. Natural sunlight makes it look orange, otherwise it looks almost brown. Built up with sram 10 speed, powermeter, hand built dura ace/open pro wheels, michelin mud...right around 19.6 pounds. Not light, but solid.

I used a dremel to create a sealed pulley from a derailleur pulley. Works well.

Zank logo.

Our original team, Hup United.

Lots of tire clearance. Mini V's are very powerful.

Last edited by yashcha; 09-17-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Firewall problems
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM
ZhugeLiang

Yashcha-pal, when I grow up, I want a bike just like yours. The color, the build, the tubing everything is just perfect!

Curious, are you in China for temporary work assignment or are you based there permanently?

Would love to see some pictures of some of the places you ride on and the gravel roads that you speak of.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 AM

I would love to take credit for the choices on this bike, but it was all Mike. I just gave him my body specs and he chose the tubing and geometry. Having raced and traveled together he knew what I liked, which is orange, and he really chose a nice version of it.

Our family is posted here with my wife's job for the next four years. If the air is good, I will spend a good four hours mapping out a ride this weekend. I will take some good pictures. At times I am overwhelmed by the sheer size of this gravel mapping project.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Sorry for the sizes of the pictures, having serious VPN/Firewall issues and can not fix them.

Last edited by yashcha; 09-17-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Never mind. finally fixed!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

hooray for orange zanc's! hot tubes does some very nice work. very nice!

i too would love to see some of the landscape out there where you ride, i love seeing far away places and the routes people ride.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Thats a good looking bike. Love the see pictures of Beijing riding as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Very nice! Orange Zanc's rule... but I'm a little biased.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM
needs adult supervision

Beautiful bike, looks ideal for gravel roads.

A question about bikes and cyclists in Peking: in photos, you often see many many people riding bikes through the streets. What is the approximate composition of the riders and bikes? Are the majority basic transportation types of bikes? Are there, say, mountain bikes sprinkled in, or some 'race' bikes? Are most of the riders using bikes as transportation vs how many might be riding for fun or sport or fitness? Just curious to understand a more granular view of all those bikes. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Beautiful bike, looks ideal for gravel roads.

A question about bikes and cyclists in Peking: in photos, you often see many many people riding bikes through the streets. What is the approximate composition of the riders and bikes? Are the majority basic transportation types of bikes? Are there, say, mountain bikes sprinkled in, or some 'race' bikes? Are most of the riders using bikes as transportation vs how many might be riding for fun or sport or fitness? Just curious to understand a more granular view of all those bikes. Thanks!
I am surprised at how few bikes there are here in Beijing. From the pictures I had seen in the past, I expected huge waves of people commuting on bikes. The reality is that most people now take the bus, drive in cars or mopeds, or take the subway. People seem to only ride their bikes if they can not afford anything nicer.

The only race bike I saw was ridden by a foreigner.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
Very nice! Orange Zanc's rule... but I'm a little biased.
We are part of a small and elite club of Bostonians with orang Zanks, where ever we may be in the world!

I had plans to go take some Beijing ride pictures for you guys this weekend, but I threw out my back, and also the air is terrible.

Instead I will take some pictures of Beijing's tribute to the show Friends. Apparently watching that show is how most people learned english and western culture. They replicated the cafe here, as well as Joey's apartment.

Last edited by yashcha; 09-19-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 AM
commuter racer

That's a really lovely orange bike! I would say my white and blue zank cx is the perfect bike and my favorite ever.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Probably the prettiest bike in China.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 AM

Last week, I went up north to stay at a Eco-Resort near the Great Wall. Unfortunately there were torrential downpours for most of the trip.

On the two days that it was clear, the air totally cleared up, and the hiking and lounging was very nice. There was an issue with the car service and there was not enough room to bring the bike. That was a real shame, but it gave me a nice opprtunity to go hiking up to the Great Wall with the family, and to scout out some riding for next time. As promised, I took some pictures for you guys.

Eco resort grounds:

Very long climb up to the Great Wall. The wall is located along the top of the ridge.

Road outside the resort:

Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Awesome... a Zanc in China.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:55 PM

great pictures. Thanks for sharing.