Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
This is how N+1 and many other more serious problems start.
Shrug
Old 12-16-2021, 04:22 PM

I have to admit that scrolling through the new arrivals at TPC has become a routine.

My only gripe is regarding their saved search feature. One of mine is "Moots". So when a Moots hits the site you'll get an email informing you. But the email alert comes several, several hours (maybe almost a day) after the bike hits their site.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:36 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
My assumption is that these guys move through more used bikes than anyone else on the planet and they have a pretty good idea of what a given bike can sell for. You're not a buyer for that bike at that price, so move along.
What he said.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:40 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
My Dad had one and used to say how much he loved it and how much other people loved them. I thought it felt horrible when I rode it. I think it's just "confirmation bias" talking
Ahh, I get it…FIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I love Moots but I don’t think that this YBB Vamoots is a good bike
Old 12-16-2021, 04:52 PM
v a n i l l a

why the angst on price? most people here have bikes that probably cost at least 10x more than the general population would pay for any bike. does it matter?
Old 12-16-2021, 05:07 PM
ZhugeLiang

Just chatted with a pal during our group ride this morning who was telling me how happy he was to be able to find a Trek Checkpoint in his size at Pro's Closet and also got a pretty decent trade in value for his wife's ebike.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
My assumption is that these guys move through more used bikes than anyone else on the planet and they have a pretty good idea of what a given bike can sell for. You're not a buyer for that bike at that price, so move along.
Yes and no.

They're not like "lil old me, just sellin' my wares on my site for a fair price..." they've become as much a technology company and a media company as they are a used bike company.

Just an onslaught, full court press on Google shopping results, Instagram, Facebook, the ads on many websites. If you use the internet, you will be force fed TPC listings without even trying.

Even my favorite Youtubers and bloggers have gotten kickbacks from TPC to show off a new-old bike they got through them.

It's just weird to be fed all this stuff to be led to a... $2000 second tier Colnago with a patch job repair. According to their own intake criteria they don't even make offers on repaired carbon bikes so how and why did this one get through?

Last edited by Pegoready; 12-16-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:24 PM

Are we even sure that was "repaired" cause it seriously looks like duct tape.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:25 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Right?

I would put more blame on the people who pay ridiculous prices, than the vendors who list items for ridiculous prices....it's like feeding stray cats.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
When I look at their site I see a ton of outdated, overpriced, beat up inventory - and it does irk me that undoubtedly some people new to the sport are getting duped...... and that is really unfortunate. That may just be how capitalism works, but I'm not obligated to like it.
Along those lines, i think what bothers me is the "certified pre-owned" designation. if you have a certified pre-owned program, presumably that means the best bikes get that sticker and the lower stuff does not. i think it's somewhat irresponsible for them to provide a reassurance like that on a carbon frame with such an eye sore of a repair, unless they have intimate knowledge of it's integrity.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Along those lines, i think what bothers me is the "certified pre-owned" designation. if you have a certified pre-owned program, presumably that means the best bikes get that sticker and the lower stuff does not. i think it's somewhat irresponsible for them to provide a reassurance like that on a carbon frame with such an eye sore of a repair, unless they have intimate knowledge of it's integrity.
They did say the repair was done by a repair shop local to them and comes with a 5-year warranty. Presumably they have some sort of relationship with the carbon repair shop. This doesn't seem like a situation where they just received a frame with a random carbon patch on it and called it certified.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:54 PM
aka RAEKWON

Id love to know if they bought it already "repaired" or if they paid to get it repaired and now are selling it. I think the latter since they know exactly who repaired it and has a 5 year repair warranty.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
Are we even sure that was "repaired" cause it seriously looks like duct tape.
Not duct tape. It's gaffer's tape. Much stronger.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-16-2021, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
They did say the repair was done by a repair shop local to them and comes with a 5-year warranty. Presumably they have some sort of relationship with the carbon repair shop. This doesn't seem like a situation where they just received a frame with a random carbon patch on it and called it certified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Id love to know if they bought it already "repaired" or if they paid to get it repaired and now are selling it. I think the latter since they know exactly who repaired it and has a 5 year repair warranty.
that could be right. i guess if i were seriously interested i would call that company and get the scoop, including any background info and confirming the warranty is indeed transferrable to new owner.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
It's just weird to be fed all this stuff to be led to a... $2000 second tier Colnago with a patch job repair. According to their own intake criteria they don't even make offers on repaired carbon bikes so how and why did this one get through?
Well, some cars on the used car lots are cream puffs, and some are not.

On the other hand, this particular bike has a CPO tag, right...and in the car biz, only the cream puffs get CPO designation. That usually involves a thorough inspection and fixing *anything* substantial. Most CPO programs would decline a car with duct tape on the fender (or more likely bondo).

TPC is just degrading their own brand by selling this bike, and by tagging it as CPO.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy