Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
True, and both need to be punished appropriately.
I agree....appropriately...
Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I find it amazing how many people are willing to excuse deliberate fraud by a company to fail to comply with a federal statute. I like VWs but this should be punished severely. Laws only matter if deliberate breaking of them results in significant punishment.
This is right on. I'm always amazed at how people seem to equate the things they buy with their core identity, but I guess that's what happens in a culture of consumption. For my part, I've loved my Sportwagen TDI, but I expect never to do business with VW again.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 PM

Did I mis something?

Has it been proven, other than in newspaper articles, that this actually happened?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Did I mis something?

Has it been proven, other than in newspaper articles, that this actually happened?
yeah ceo apologized
Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Did I mis something?

From the Yahoo article linked earlier:
"We have admitted to it to the regulator. It is true. We are actively cooperating with the regulator," a Volkswagen spokesman said on Sunday"
Old 09-20-2015, 09:25 PM

Other Volkswagen news https://vid.me/YdCg
Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Did I mis something?

"We have admitted to it to the regulator. It is true. We are actively cooperating with the regulator," a Volkswagen spokesman said on Sunday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/volksw...130056594.html
Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
I find it amazing how many people are willing to excuse deliberate fraud by a company to fail to comply with a federal statute. I like VWs but this should be punished severely. Laws only matter if deliberate breaking of them results in significant punishment.
Agreed 100%. This really is egregious, and quite rare in its scope and brazenness. Criminal charges against individuals would not be out of place.

I've heard suggestions that VW acted in good faith, but that appears to be BS because regulators have been asking very specific questions about varying emissions levels, and the company denied at length.

VW has announced an external investigation. German legislators are asking if similar tricks were used in Europe.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:47 AM
ergottWheels

Sales on new models halted. I wonder what this means for owners. I do love the car and hope the fix (I assume there has to be one at this point) doesn't drastically effect the car. I could afford a loss of a few hp over the loss of mileage.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tells...ars-1731923302
Old 09-21-2015, 05:10 AM
Epic=No Smiles

There won't be any performance impact of mileage impact - the NOx catalyzer is effectively a heated element in the exhaust pipe that traps specific exhaust particles. It's all downstream from the combustion chamber. The fix is to put a new program on, or "reflash" the engine management computer so the computer tells the NOx catalyzer to stay on all the time.

The only impact will be you'll have to replace the NOx catalyzer more frequently. Perhaps every 30-40,000 miles rather than never. But given this, consumers will never pay a dime for that.

Last edited by christian; 09-21-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 AM

stock market weighs in

Volkswagen's stock price falls 20%, follow the link: http://www.usnews.com/news/business/...emission-tests

Last edited by bthornt; 09-21-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
There won't be any performance impact of mileage impact - the NOx catalyzer is effectively a heated element in the exhaust pipe that traps specific exhaust particles. It's all downstream from the combustion chamber. The fix is to put a new program on, or "reflash" the engine management computer so the computer tells the NOx catalyzer to stay on all the time.

The only impact will be you'll have to replace the NOx catalyzer more frequently. Perhaps every 30-40,000 miles rather than never. But given this, consumers will never pay a dime for that.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:40 AM

Sales of new and used 4 cyclinder TDI's halted. This affects values. I imagine some lawsuits will follow. This mess will take a while to unravel.

But hey.....We have a orphan Mercury we inherited from my wife's Mom. Not worth much, so we just drive it.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:49 AM

I loved our 2013 Jettawagon TDI but we traded it in for a 15 Rav4 back in March ( more room for the baby). I am really surprised that VW would willingly violate the law like that. I wonder how high up the ladder that decision went?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 AM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

Quote:

I am confused. So if this has no impact on the performance of the vehicle then why did they turned it off and only to be on while tested for emissions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
autoscam, boring threads