Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 04:51 AM
powered by red

Alltrack

I just ordered an Alltrack SE with a 6 speed MT. The car will start being built the week prior to Christmas, with most likely a late January delivery.

My son who got the TDI as a hand me down is very excited.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
I just ordered an Alltrack SE with a 6 speed MT. The car will start being built the week prior to Christmas, with most likely a late January delivery.

My son who got the TDI as a hand me down is very excited.
What did the dealer offer you for incentives?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
What did the dealer offer you for incentives?
I find the whole dealer incentives concept amusing. Dealer incentives are a come-on, to a certain extent. But giving a dealer the price you're willing to pay, and then walking out, tends to get a good reaction.

I mean, you figure a good price for ANY car, good for you that is, possible for them to accept. And then you negotiate off that.

Don't ask the dealer what the price is. Tell the dealer what you're willing to give them.

Dave, who increasingly is thinking of a straightforward move to a 2017 Golf Sportwagen
Old 10-31-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
I find the whole dealer incentives concept amusing. Dealer incentives are a come-on, to a certain extent. But giving a dealer the price you're willing to pay, and then walking out, tends to get a good reaction.

I mean, you figure a good price for ANY car, good for you that is, possible for them to accept. And then you negotiate off that.

Don't ask the dealer what the price is. Tell the dealer what you're willing to give them.

Dave, who increasingly is thinking of a straightforward move to a 2017 Golf Sportwagen
Point taken. I guess what I really meant to ask is what did he pay compared to MSRP?

That said, I was sort of looking at the whole thing from a "what are you going to do to keep me in a VW?" perspective. And use that as my jumping off point. Obviously, if their answer isn't close to what I want to pay, I'll negotiate from there and have decided at this point I'm totally willing to walk.

My local dealer has told me so far that they haven't heard anything about incentive pricing from the mother ship, and when I indicated that I may be interested in an alltrack - they told me they're currently selling them at MSRP.

I've also still got my name down on a 2015 TDI, but with no fix in sight yet, not holding my breath there either.

Starting to warm to the idea of being in a Subaru Forrester within 6 months.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
...and when I indicated that I may be interested in an alltrack - they told me they're currently selling them at MSRP.
Call me cynical, but when the dealer told you that, they were lying.

Call me realistic, but when the dealer told you that, that's what car dealers do.

Call me experiential, but when the dealer told you that, it contradicted what my dealer told me, which indicated a price around dealer invoice.

Dave, who says even dealer invoice is too high a price and regarding the Alltrack the prices will be coming down by early 2017 when a greater flow of the vehicles will be reaching US dealers
Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 AM

tell em what you're willing to pay

and if it's in any sort of realm of reality, then walk out the door. then wait by your phone about 24 hours. then expect a call letting you know they are willing to deal. start low, be serious about being ready to buy, then meet someplace lower than they said they were originally willing to do. Just know YOUR true bottom line and don't get emotionally addicted to new car smell .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Call me cynical, but when the dealer told you that, they were lying.

Call me realistic, but when the dealer told you that, that's what car dealers do.

Call me experiential, but when the dealer told you that, it contradicted what my dealer told me, which indicated a price around dealer invoice.

Dave, who says even dealer invoice is too high a price and regarding the Alltrack the prices will be coming down by early 2017 when a greater flow of the vehicles will be reaching US dealers
Old 10-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Time & Bikes

An in-general, not directed at anyone specific here comment about car-buying negotiations.

Generally, don't even let the dealer suggest a price. That gives the dealer leverage. If a salesperson even starts to mention a price to me, I say "Hold that thought, please. You're getting way too granular right now."

By researching the market first online and being the first one to offer a price, that gives the buyer more leverage. And then, more so with auto sales than most things we buy, truly and actually walking out the door can -- not always, but can -- be helpful.

Dave, who says of course no sense in initiating price negotiations unless that's the exact vehicle you're wanting to buy
Old 10-31-2016, 09:53 AM

Besides experience selling men's wear, pharmaceuticals, building materials, motorcycles I worked 36 years as a real estate broker so I have some experience in sales/negotiations. I would always prefer the other guy to name the first price. Heck, sometimes it may be lower than your target price. In a car purchase there MAY be dealer incentives that you don't know about. As has been suggested above there usually comes a time when a buyer has to walk away and wait for the dealer to come back to him. That might be the next day or when you have your hand on the exit door. I always try to be very polite and pleasant because nobody REALLY wants to give a jerk a good deal. I have received good deals because the dealer knew I was the kind of guy who would TELL people that ABC Motors was a good place to do business.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:14 AM