Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 11:32 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey.d View Post
Keith’s contract expires this year- Bontrager name will be phased out.
I didnt realize there was a documented known reason for moving away from Bontrager as a product brand, and definitely didnt realize the known reason is that Trek only leased or 'owned' the name for a specific number of years. So it was a 30 year agreement and Trek no longer owns the brand after this year?
Old 04-19-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I didnt realize there was a documented known reason for moving away from Bontrager as a product brand, and definitely didnt realize the known reason is that Trek only leased or 'owned' the name for a specific number of years. So it was a 30 year agreement and Trek no longer owns the brand after this year?
At least Keith Roval will never take his name away from Specialized!
Old 04-19-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Not having used a rear facing radar on my bike, a few questions:

What size vehicles do these detect? I'm guessing they detect cars and trucks, but what about motorcycles and other cyclists?

If you are riding toward the front of a paceline, do the bicycles behind you interfere with detecting motor vehicles approaching from behind? What about when riding in a multiple line group (such as a group riding in a line two abreast)?

What angle of view do they have? Will they detect approaching vehicles in tight curves?

If there are multiple cars approaching from behind, say 100m or less apart, does the radar beep or flash continuously? In which case, is the radar useful when riding in city traffic?
For Varia anyway, It does not beep continuously. It beeps I believe when a vehicle comes into tracking distance, and then you have visual tracking of distance from you on the head unit until all clear (ie. vehicle passes you). If other vehicles come into tracking distance while one is already being tracked, they just show up as additional dots in the visual tracking. But you don't get a beep (if I recall correctly) unless you were fully clear and a new vehicle enters your space.

I've had it detect cyclists behind me. I must have been going slow :-) I don't think pacelines affect reading of cars. In fact, some people share their signal. Eg. a group of 3-4 riders can all share one Varia's tracking. The tricky part is, the distance reading is only from the whoever's got the actual Varia on their bike (objects may be closer than they appear).

For the 510 anyway, a snippet from the manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg variaDetection.JPG (52.3 KB, 45 views)