Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Villa dominated that match beyond anything I thought people thought could be done to City.
Indeed. City folded like a cheap suit without Rodri. But the lack of attacking intent was still glaring. Two shots (albeit both on goal) total. I think the record low before this was the match at Arsenal this season, where City had 4 shots (1 of which on goal). Incidentally, another match for which Rodri was suspended.

LFC, even when it was running rampant against City (3-1 in the title winning season and the 2018 UCL quarterfinal tie where LFC won 5-1 on aggregate), wasn't able to neutralize Pep's City to this extent.

Not having De Bruyne certainly doesn't help, but I always thought that Gundogan was the more influential player who got them ticking along when the going was tough.

Last edited by echappist; 12-07-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:30 PM

Anyone watch the Copa America draw tonight?
For the final team in Group C (which USA is in), they showed that selection as the play-in winner between Honduras and Costa Rica. However they immediately switched it to the Brazil group and the last team selected (Bolivia) was entered into group C.
Just curious!
Old 12-08-2023, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Indeed.

Not having De Bruyne certainly doesn't help, but I always thought that Gundogan was the more influential player who got them ticking along when the going was tough.
Good point about Gundogan. Its funny I look at him and I see Gattuso - just facially - but he certainly plays with more finesse and skill than Gattuso ever did. I say that as a Milan fan by the way

Last edited by Beldar77; 12-08-2023 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:40 AM

Starting 4 center backs should impact your attacking, I don't think even Pep can overcome that. DeBruyne out combined with Gundogan being gone creates a real hole there. I still expect City to put together a string of matches that will be hard to match.

LFC has struggled to defend all year and only getting thinner at the back as the season goes on.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
Starting 4 center backs should impact your attacking, I don't think even Pep can overcome that. DeBruyne out combined with Gundogan being gone creates a real hole there. I still expect City to put together a string of matches that will be hard to match.

LFC has struggled to defend all year and only getting thinner at the back as the season goes on.
To be fair, City plays with 3 CBs and one 1 RB. On paper, it's a 4-1-4-1, with one of the actual CBs with a nominal starting position at LB, but in reality, it's more of a 3-2-2-3, which is quite reminiscent of the Cruijff 3-4-3 diamond.

The same system, with optimal personnel, can generate a lot of big chances, but it's presently missing Stones and De Bruyne. On the replacement of De Bruyne with Alverez alone, City misses the set-piece deliveries and defensive nous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Good point about Gundogan. Its funny I look at him and I see Gattuso - just facially - but he certainly plays with more finesse and skill than Gattuso ever did. I say that as a Milan fan by the way
Though they have different roles on the field, both also exhibits a level of intensity and grittiness that is needed in a championship-winning squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Anyone watch the Copa America draw tonight?
For the final team in Group C (which USA is in), they showed that selection as the play-in winner between Honduras and Costa Rica. However they immediately switched it to the Brazil group and the last team selected (Bolivia) was entered into group C.
Just curious!
Only saw the final results. Are you planning on attending any matches? Very few host cities in the northern part of the contiguous 48. Quite different from 2016, when Chicago, Seattle, Foxborough, and Philly hosted (in addition to the Meadowlands).
Old 12-08-2023, 05:02 PM

Against Villa they started Akanji, Stones, Gvardiol and Dias in one position or another.

They're all really good (center backs), but Pep can move them around all he wants that doesn't make them great players at other positions overnight. And no matter how they play or how adaptable they are they're all defenders. Stones did well in the role Pep put him in last season. But for example I don't think Gvardiol has been that amazing on the left, but he is a quality CB.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:57 PM

Ah yes, you are right! That part somehow escaped me.

It’s like a fancier version of a Tony Pulis squad. Not even Sean Dyche plays with four players who are primarily CBs by trade.

I had been under the impression that it was 3 true CBs + either Walker or Ak, but since Rodri was suspended, he had 2 CBs play as DMs and then two more CBs.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:23 PM

Speaking of Dyche that was a good win for Everton against Newcastle.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:25 AM

Mourinho was sacked (for the 5th time) 2 weeks ago by Roma, yet no one has commented - Any thoughts, or is he irrelevant at this time.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:38 AM

I wouldn't say irrelevant. the 'Not so special One' is a little more fitting.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Mourinho was sacked (for the 5th time) 2 weeks ago by Roma, yet no one has commented - Any thoughts, or is he irrelevant at this time.
I guess the fact he was dismissed from a not-so-marquee team probably had something to do with it. I'm sure he'll get another offer soon.

I heard that the Roma tifosi actually adored him, so I have no idea what's going on.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess the fact he was dismissed from a not-so-marquee team probably had something to do with it. I'm sure he'll get another offer soon.

I heard that the Roma tifosi actually adored him, so I have no idea what's going on.
Very much so. I felt bad for DeRossi. Glad that he got a win in his debut.
Hope he gets more out of Lukaku, Pellegrini, Dybala and El Shaarawy - they have the horses.
Rumor - joining Napoli after season ends.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Very much so. I felt bad for DeRossi. Glad that he got a win in his debut.
Hope he gets more out of Lukaku, Pellegrini, Dybala and El Shaarawy - they have the horses.
Rumor - joining Napoli after season ends.
Sorry that you have to sit through this drivel after the spectacular performance of last year.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry that you have to sit through this drivel after the spectacular performance of last year.
Haha - Just wish ADL would back off. But it's calcio, and I love it.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Won the conosolation bracket European championship.
Spent a LOT of money and not a lot of progress up the table.
No one really pays attention to mid-table.

Good article about it: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story?id...splits-opinion

I just hope we don't get him in MLS.