Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Polishing a matte finish to make more glossy?

Has anyone done this to their bike?
Can you give info/advice as to exactly how you did it? Before and after pics?

Thx!!!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:52 AM

It is posible but depends a lot of how the paint job was done, if the frame has a matte clearcoat I really dont know because never used such a clear. If the clearcoat is matte by sanding, then you sand and polish and the shine will come back.

If the bike doesnt have a clear but is like a matte paint, I do not know because never painted using those finish, you have to test in a neutral area that nobody will see like under a stay for example, sand and polish.

The other thing you can do is to clear again over the surface and the new clear will take care of your problem.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:04 AM

Yeah. If your bike has been given a matte finish, it's almost certainly accomplished by particles in the varnish that give it a consistent matte texture. You won't be able to sand it out to a gloss. You'll just sand it to more of the same matte finish.

The easiest, as mentioned above, is simply to have the bike clear coated in gloss. You just want to be able to cure the paint and want the frame completely clean so the clear coat adheres. I've done clear coats a couple times on really worn finishes, and if you find a local frame builder and ply him with beers, you can get it done really cheaply. There's also usually some rider around who likes to strip all the logos on bikes and will have enough ability with a spray gun to do the job for you.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM

I wonder how plasti dip's clear coat would work....
Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Depending on the finish, you might be able to "gloss" it using progressive stages of rubbing/polishing compound followed by wax. I did this to a matte finish Tsunami using just the polishing compound. Didn't exactly end up glass-like but more of a shiny matte. The result was less susceptible to fingerprints and smudges. I've done this to matte Enve forks with very good success also.

Give it a try in an obscure spot on the frame and see.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
if you find a local frame builder and ply him with beers, you can get it done really cheaply
Even without beers, $150-200 max for a pro- brand new-bike looking clear coat.
The only other expense(s) would be stripping the bike down to frame if you don't do this stuff yourself and any shipping cost if there is no one local.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 PM

How about just trying several coats of Carnuba? Or heck, just Turtle Wax.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 AM

I've never found that a polish or any kind of filler will significantly change a matte finish. It may make it a bit more reflective but it's not a gloss finish.