Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Black Mountain Road?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:39 PM
That guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
The new CAADX disc would probably fit the bill. I bought one for a winter roadie/summer gravel bike, mainly down to the geometry. The stays are nice and short and the BB is not too high, but it still fits at least a 35c tyre, but you could probably get a 40c in there. It rides like a charm on the road, have been really impressed considering the price. Plus, they look cool in green (well mine doesn't cos it's the size of a gate).
Thought about the caadx. But then remembered how much I hate their BB set up.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
I currently ride a supersix evo himod and love it to death. I've also picked up a DB Haanjo for commuting and occasional backpacking trip. I've been riding a lot less these days and am now dealing with apartment life and would like to combine the two. I'm looking for soemthing that will fit 30's with fender and 42x650b for bike packing and I'd like it to have the handling of my supersix. While I love the the flexibility of the Haanjo it has a 69* HTA in my size and is not an inspiring road bike.

I'm sure I could have something custom made, Davidson and Hampsten are down the street, but what do I do about a fork? I dont want a cross fork with tons of empty clearances. Will an ENVE Gravel fork fit a 650x42? Are there other options?

Thanks!
Wow! I'm in the same boat, with a S6 Hi Mod, and was about to get the Haanjo too. I want a road bike the can go off road, and the Haanjo, as cool as it is, is a bit more slack than desired. I looked at Open Cycles' UP and it gets rave reiews (haven't ridden one). However, it's got gobs of tire clearance and looks silly with 25s or 28s on the wheels. And it's uber expensive. Also ridden the Synapse disc, and the geometry was too upright for me, compared to the SuperSix. Then...

A couple weeks ago, I was at a cycling event and laid eyes on a near-to-be-released Ritchey Outback. I took it for a test ride and fell in love. I'm getting one. It seems to check all the boxes:
  • 12mm TA, with flat mount
  • BSA BB (no funky press fit)
  • 7cm BB drop
  • no rack or fender mounts (it's a performance oriented bike!)
  • road geometry
  • fork axle to crown is 38.3 (not cross sized at 39.5!)
  • tire clearance up to 38ish, or 40ish-not too much, not too little

To be sure, it's not a SuperSix. But it's also a more performance oriented bike that most everything else that's been offered in this thread, and get's my vote as the best n=1 bike for a rider who loves a SuperSix, but wants more versatility.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/new...ce-bike-48025/

Last edited by mistermo; 10-22-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:30 AM
ZhugeLiang

Some of my bikes can "do it all', that's not the question. The real issue is, "can I?" I don't have the necessary skills and abilities.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Thought about the caadx. But then remembered how much I hate their BB set up.
The BB is just a normal BB30 shell. I bought an alloy sleeve which I was going to press in so I could use threaded cups, but I just got a converter BB instead which I also pressed in. Not had any issues so far.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
These are basically the same thing as my Haanjo. I'm maybe looking for a bike built around a ENVE gravel fork or something like a Mr. Pink but with discs.
In your original post you said you liked your Haanjo but the 69* angle wasnt the most fun on the road.

A lemond Poprad Disc has 73* sta and clearance for 43s.
And it’s disc so you can run 650b easily.

I guess my question is what’s wrong with the Poprad? Do you want something more road capable? More camp capable? Higher zoot?

Just trying to get a better idea of what you’re looking for.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 PM

me too weisan pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Some of my bikes can "do it all', that's not the question. The real issue is, "can I?" I don't have the necessary skills and abilities.
different horses for different courses
if space and pocketbook allow, of course
Old 10-22-2017, 12:57 PM

If you don't like the adventure or gravel bike look....another option is the slightly more relaxed long distance riders....like the Cannondale Synapse, and Trek and Giant both have their versions. These bikes have slightly longer head tubes, slightly shorter top tubes, and usually lower BB than crit bikes. Carbon or aluminum and parts of your choice. They are designed for more comfortable riding than a pure race bike. They make great riders.....maybe 28 MM is biggest tire you can run though...depending on bike. May have to jury rig for fenders. Probably what most road riders s/b riding. Design is kinda like race bikes of the 70's.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:11 PM
formerly Landshark_98

333fab either custom or airlandsea.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Mosaic GT-1. Sure I’m just a little biased , but I think this bike is aimed directly at what you’re after. I’m running 700-38’s right now with an Enve GRD fork. I’d be very surprised if it couldn’t fit a 650-42.

I don’t think it looks like a gravel bike either (if that concerns ya). Geometry is not so upright. I would place it directly in between a gran fondo “stage race” style road bike and what most folks call a gravel/adventure bike.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:17 PM

EndPoint Coffee Grinder

I can't talk about it much as I don't own one, but it seems to check all boxes and it's pretty attractive looking.

Focus Paralane comes to mind as well for a lighter option

Last edited by TunaAndBikes; 10-22-2017 at 06:19 PM.