Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantturtle View Post
So does this mean they'll expand into MTB? I thought the Walton brothers were more trail less road...
IT'S NOT WALMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude these clickbait titles is not helping these otherwise interesting discussions spiral into sh*T
Old 08-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantturtle View Post
So does this mean they'll expand into MTB? I thought the Walton brothers were more trail less road...
Crap, does this mean I'm doing it wrong when I wear my rapha kits on the MTB? J/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So they are grandsons of the Walmart founder and own an investment firm....not exactly 'Walmart guys', eh?
Agreed not exactly
Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
IT'S NOT WALMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude these clickbait titles is not helping these otherwise interesting discussions spiral into sh*T

Oh, I wholly understand Walmart did not buy Rapha literally but from what I've read, the brothers are more mountain bikers and if they're invested they might have some thoughts on the direction of Rapha. If they want to expand their line/brand, then they still have the MTB/CX/TT markets to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM

The reason RZC can buy Rapha is because of WalMart money. He didn't create an investment fund saving pennies from his day job as a bus driver.

His last name is Walton to Pete's sake, and grandson of Sam Walton.

Yes, its Walmart.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Member?

https://www.ialumbra.com/founder/

https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/trails-biking-hiking/

I ain't gonna complain about the Walton kids - at least one is helping to build mtb trails in Baja.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The reason RZC can buy Rapha is because of WalMart money. He didn't create an investment fund saving pennies from his day job as a bus driver.

Yes, its Walmart.
Ya' know - I was having a parallel chat with a pal elsewhere. No one I know is giving back all the money made in my industry from the Lance era. And from what I hear, his reign made a lot of people a lot of money. And then he was found out.

Why should the offspring pay the price for decisions their parents or grandparents before them made? By all accounts, the brothers are trying to do good, and for the cycling community at that. Sure, they are astute businessmen and will likely make a profit from this investment. But so what to that?

They are the investors, not Sam Walton.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 PM

I still wanna know if I can bundle a gallon of Mobil 1 with a pair of bib shorts and get free 2-day shipping.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, its Walmart.
Thanks dude, my sentiment exactly, except I chose flipping burgers...
Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I still wanna know if I can bundle a gallon of Mobil 1 with a pair of bib shorts and get free 2-day shipping.
Rapha Prime...
Old 08-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Again.......IT IS NOT WALMART.

Did the money come from WalMarts success? Technically yes. But I can guarantee you that the decisions made at this Trust Fund kids little pet project RZC, is completely separate from decisions made at the actual WalMart Executive offices.

You know what.....F it, I'm out. How do you block threads
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Ya' know - I was having a parallel chat with a pal elsewhere. No one I know is giving back all the money made in my industry from the Lance era. And from what I hear, his reign made a lot of people a lot of money. And then he was found out.

Why should the offspring pay the price for decisions their parents or grandparents before them made? By all accounts, the brothers are trying to do good, and for the cycling community at that. Sure, they are astute businessmen and will likely make a profit from this investment. But so what to that?

gets it.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Again.......IT IS NOT WALMART.

Did the money come from WalMarts success? Technically yes. But I can guarantee you that the decisions made at this Trust Fund kids little pet project RZC, is completely separate from decisions made at the actual WalMart Executive offices.

You know what.....F it, I'm out. How do you block threads
Nobody said it was WALMART - just WALMART GUY. Who was the son of the founder of WALMART, who got his money from WALMART. Sure its a different name of an investment company, but GMC is still a chevy...
Old 08-09-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post

And good on them for living their best lives, I don't begrudge them that, and I'm glad the money is going to at least some marginal good use.

But there are some (and count me in that basket) who think the economy-bending organization that is Wal-Mart, and the near unimaginable dynastic wealth that's been created by its practices -- they're the richest family in America at a hair over $130 billion -- can't easily be hand-waved away.

The family still controls 54% of the company that today still engages, in my view, in a bunch of scummy business practices. This isn't some long-detached fortune that was created centuries ago, like he's some farflung Du Pont sibling. Pop-pop created arguably one of the most destructive retail forces the world has ever seen and the family still calls the shots.

Cutting a couple of sweet mountain bike trails and being fast on a group ride and buying a clothing company ain't exactly absolution for that.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, its Walmart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Nobody said it was WALMART
Old 08-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Wal-mart guy buys RAPHA...

Aren't the Waltons the modern day robber barons? In any case, someone bought Rapha. They wanted to sell and they have the right to sell who they want to sell to. That said, I'll look at other options...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread