Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Lanterne rouge

NFS lube bio stuff

I like the regular stuff then saw this. Anyone try it?

http://www.nixfrixshun.com/nfs-ne-pl...cle-chainlube/
Old 01-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Descent fitness

Clever tagline, ne+ultra: You know they can never come up with a better product.
It should be 25% better, according to price.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:54 PM
aka RAEKWON

isnt the diff being biodegradable and not having a scent?

I dunno I just bought some NFS and its actually really nice. I have used it a bunch of times and it still looks full since you put only a few drops on it
Old 01-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
isnt the diff being biodegradable and not having a scent?

I dunno I just bought some NFS and its actually really nice. I have used it a bunch of times and it still looks full since you put only a few drops on it
I dont make a habbit of sniffing my chain so the smell isnt a problem. I have the original stuff but am running low after a few years or so. Time for more.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I dont make a habbit of sniffing my chain so the smell isnt a problem. I have the original stuff but am running low after a few years or so. Time for more.
same, I don't care about the smell either so I am just gonna keep buying the normal stuff.

Also last time I bought it they gave me a little travel size one, that alone will probably last for like 3 months or longer.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:15 PM
needs adult supervision

I'm about to try the original NFS. Any suggestions for applying it the first time? I've seen folks say apply it sparingly. Any tips appreciated. Thx.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I'm about to try the original NFS. Any suggestions for applying it the first time? I've seen folks say apply it sparingly. Any tips appreciated. Thx.
Used or new chain?
New, Shift small/small then I put 8-12 drops randomly around chain. Pedal backwards for a while then wipe off outer plates on the chain. Shift out of small/Small and wipe off cogs/chainring. Ride silently like a ninja.
Dirty chain, clean it with OMS then apply like above. Maybe twice. Good to go.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I dunno what way is the right way really is, they say something on their site, then silca which also carries it says something else.

They say to follow the 12-12-12 method but silca says for the first time to do something else which I copy pasted bellow

Working with the team at Friction Facts we have discovered that on a perfectly clean and dry chain, you need more than just the 12 drops in the 12-12-12 method. We are recommending one small drop per link for your first application with a solid 12 revolutions of the crank using a rag to wipe away the excess. After that, 12-12-12 is a perfect way to replenish your lube. From a noise and friction perspective, 12-12-12 every 300-400 miles with NFS is the equivalent of adding one drop per link every 200 miles with other wet lubes.

I did not put it on every link, I put 12 random drops then spinned the crank backwards a bunch and then wiped and its been working great.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:23 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Used or new chain?
New, Shift small/small then I put 8-12 drops randomly around chain. Pedal backwards for a while then wipe off outer plates on the chain. Shift out of small/Small and wipe off cogs/chainring. Ride silently like a ninja.
Dirty chain, clean it with OMS then apply like above. Maybe twice. Good to go.
what is OMS?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I dont make a habbit of sniffing my chain so the smell isnt a problem.
I don't care what anybody says. That's funny. Count me in as one who is not a chain sniffer and NFS user.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
what is OMS?
Odorless Mineral Spirits.
Sorry.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
I don't care what anybody says. That's funny. Count me in as one who is not a chain sniffer and NFS user.
eh, i kinda like the industrial smell. the wife hates it, but whatever, my bike is running 2 watts more efficiently and that's what matters

Quote:
Odorless Mineral Spirits.
Sorry.
ha, thanks, everyone degreases in a different way, didn't know if i was missing out on the latest and greatest that i haven't heard of.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
Back in the ChainL using days I recomended it to a guy. (ChainL is second best to NFS IMO) I gave a small sample to a guy who complained about the smell and the mess. He applied the whole bottle. No wonder it smelled.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
eh, i kinda like the industrial smell. the wife hates it, but whatever, my bike is running 2 watts more efficiently and that's what matters

ha, thanks, everyone degreases in a different way, didn't know if i was missing out on the latest and greatest that i haven't heard of.
Yeah, I dont like water based cleaners where a oil based lube will be used.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:31 PM

The original NFS does have a slight petroleum odor which is no big whoop to me, but I can see where it might to someone keeping their bikes inside, close to living space. Hence the new formulation.

Apply it to a clean chain first time. I invert the bottle and put the tip on either the inside or outside plate with slight pressure until I can see a bead form. Then just hold it there and backpedal quickly through a couple of revs. You'll barely use just a few mLs. Repeat on the opposite plate. I usually let it sit overnight and then wipe down the side plates before I head out and I'm good to go. Wipe down again after every ride and that'll pretty much keep you going for a long while.