Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2016, 06:06 PM

i got some a while ago, still going through the bottle but haven't found it longer lasting or better at all than other options. it lasts about as long for me as any other lube. it doesn't stay cleaner or anything either. essentially i've found most lubes to function similarly, with factory lube being the longest period i have to go before reapplying.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Lanterne rouge

For a good long lasting lube I go this route.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 AM

haven't tried NFS, but Chain L has a fairly distinctive odor.

it smells like 'victory'...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
haven't tried NFS, but Chain L has a fairly distinctive odor.

it smells like 'victory'...
Haha I was going to say the same thing about Boeshield doubt I will ever experience any other chain lube Iam extremely happy with Boeshield.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I dunno what way is the right way really is, they say something on their site, then silca which also carries it says something else.

They say to follow the 12-12-12 method but silca says for the first time to do something else which I copy pasted bellow

Working with the team at Friction Facts we have discovered that on a perfectly clean and dry chain, you need more than just the 12 drops in the 12-12-12 method. We are recommending one small drop per link for your first application with a solid 12 revolutions of the crank using a rag to wipe away the excess. After that, 12-12-12 is a perfect way to replenish your lube. From a noise and friction perspective, 12-12-12 every 300-400 miles with NFS is the equivalent of adding one drop per link every 200 miles with other wet lubes.
I'm still working through my regular tube and have tried both the twelve drop only method and the silca "every link" method. Not surprisingly, the latter method lasts longer, though not 10X longer. Beats me if the "every drop" method makes me faster or the chain last longer, which is what the Silca/Friction Facts testing suggests. It does pick up more gunk though.

Thing is, at $20 bucks for a minuscule 2oz tube, I'd never buy the either version of the stuff (my regular blend was from a friend) -- that's, what, $2 bucks per lube. And I've come to doubt it really lasts any longer than any of the other miracle lubes that pop up every couple years. Well, OK, I sorta always doubted it.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I dont make a habbit of sniffing my chain so the smell isnt a problem. I have the original stuff but am running low after a few years or so. Time for more.
If you ever put your bike in the back of your car & drive with the windows up, you can notice the smell. I might be sensitive to the smell, but the original can be nasty.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 PM

Ooh that smell

Chain L and to a lesser extent NFS smell like heavyweight gear oil used in car and truck differentials. Not saying that's what they are just that they smell very similar. They are the only chain lubes I've ever successfully used on my SRAM Red equipped bike that keep the drivetrain quiet over multiple rides. ProLink Gold wouldn't keep my SRAM Red quiet for 20 miles. I thanked the shop that recommended the Chain L for my Red, told him it made it almost as quiet as Shimano. He said I was a funny guy, guess he thought I was kidding him. I bought some of the new biodegradeable NFS when they had the free shipping deal at Christmas. Still have almost 2 full bottles of NFS so I probably have a lifetime supply~
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Over the years I've tried quite a few different chain lubes, so far A.T.B has been working great for me. Easy to use, doesn't attract a lot of gunk, long lasting...a little goes a long way.

https://www.facebook.com/ATB-Chain-L...5335410958698/

William
Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Lanterne rouge

Anyone use Wax?
I have a friend that swears by Squirt?
I have been on NFS for three hears or so and its about gone. It worked but the wax stuff is attractive due to the cleanliness.
I know another guy on Molten speed wax but thats a hassle I am not willing to take on.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 PM

NFS lube bio stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
Anyone use Wax?

I have a friend that swears by Squirt?

I have been on NFS for three hears or so and its about gone. It worked but the wax stuff is attractive due to the cleanliness.

I know another guy on Molten speed wax but thats a hassle I am not willing to take on.

I use Squirt. It keeps the chain clean and lasts reasonably long. Easy to reapply and no wiping required. Chain wear is good too. Haven't tried NFS, but I'm thinking about it. I do like a clean chain but assume NFS lasts longer and keeps the chain quieter.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I like the regular stuff then saw this. Anyone try it?

http://www.nixfrixshun.com/nfs-ne-pl...cle-chainlube/
I switched to NFS' biodegradable stuff recently. I like it and it's lasted at least 500 miles, including a few wet rides, without a reapplication. It's definitely a very clean chain lube. I can't compare it to the original.

Only point of comparison I have is Boeshield T-9. T-9 was very, very gunky, and it also didn't last as long as NFS. I never had the chance to switch to NFS' original formulation; by the time my bottle of T-9 was done, they'd released the biodegradable formula. I doubt it's twice as good as the original, but considering how slowly I will be going through that bottle, I'm willing to pay the premium.

Anyone else had the chance to compare it to the original formula? Curious to know.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
i got some a while ago, still going through the bottle but haven't found it longer lasting or better at all than other options. it lasts about as long for me as any other lube. it doesn't stay cleaner or anything either. essentially i've found most lubes to function similarly, with factory lube being the longest period i have to go before reapplying.
Exactly, me too. I never bought into the whole 'use sparingly' instructions, and apparently neither did the boys at Silca. It makes sense...every link in the chain needs lube, not a lot, but some. I went through my small container of NSF using normal application methods. It worked fine, still got very dirty after not much use.

Rock n roll gold is an great low cost option, works great, and gets high praise on friction facts, one of the 'fastest' lubes out there.

I'm considering trying the ultrasonic cleaning method followed by Molten Speed wax....more than anything just for fun, something different to try.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Anyone use Wax?
Yes. Paraffin wax from the market, a pie tin, and a steamer pot. Pie tin cantaining the wax atop the pot full of water. While washing bike, place coiled chain atop the wax and turn on the stove. Fish out the coiled chain with a bent paper clip and hang on the stove hood above the pot until cool.

Easy peasy. Clean, quiet chain. No mess.

Occasionally I try the new lubes that everyone talks about, but always return to the wax. Just too clean and easy.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 PM

I've tried all the alternatives and I'm sticking with NFS. I have some NFS+ as well and my major reason to favor it is that if I'm handling my chain a lot (like on the track), it cleans off from my hands a lot more easily. Both the NFS lubes outlast anything else I've used. I've had a rather contrary conversation with Josh (who makes the NFS) because he has yet to come out with a pumpkin spice scented NFS for the holiday season. He offered a bacon scent as an alternative, but that's so very declassé.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:12 PM

I mixed NFS with 10% acetone (going to try 20%), one drop per roller from a needle oiler on a clean chain. Works much better because it penetrates inside where it's needed. The outside is stays cleaner too.

Also trying Lilly Lube, which is a penetrating lube that has extreme pressure additives developed by a mechanical engineer. Too early to tell, but it's working well thus far on my gravel bike. Very quiet and chain looks fairly clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro