Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Classics Fan

It appears that Amazon has carefully studied the strategies that FIFA and the IOC use to decide where to host the games.

These cities are falling over each other.

As far as California's business climate, I don't know enough details to know for sure. I've heard a bunch of anecdotal information that there are some serious headwinds there. I've heard of atleast 3 companies that have moved to Texas from California because of taxes. And I've heard a number of stories that suggest Silicon valley is not a sustainable model, and some VCs are now considering it a strike against a company to be located there.

My general feeling on Amazon is that over the next 5 years or so, they (along with google and Facebook) may face a real threat of anti-trust action because of their size. As such, I don't know that the 50,000 new employees will ever be fully realized.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
No, they think the vast majority would live on the rather large site.
that's even more laughable than 50k employees commuting there. for those not familiar with boston, the proposed amazon site there is ringed by 2 scary roads (no shoulder, one divided road), adjacent to the airport, and constrained by the ocean on 2 sides. it's a weird bit of land that's been a dog track for the last 80 years.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Older Than You

I would think an east coast location would be the best. Whoever gets it will inherit a huge traffic problem.

Dallas/Ft. Worth has submitted a package deal to Amazon. Still lots of empty space available, no state income tax, international airport, and a skilled workforce.

Unfortunately housing has become more expensive in the last few years. Four years ago houses in my neighborhood were going for around $150K. Some are now asking close to $300K.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
It appears that Amazon has carefully studied the strategies that FIFA and the IOC use to decide where to host the games.
Can't speak to FIFA, but the IOC is rapidly finding out that most places have discovered that hosting the Olympic Games is terrible.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM

in the race to get the hq prize, will there be doping involved?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post

Unfortunately housing has become more expensive in the last few years. Four years ago houses in my neighborhood were going for around $150K. Some are now asking close to $300K.
$300,000 will get you a mediocre one-bedroom condo in San Diego. I'm not making this up.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Not much different in Toronto...maybe even worse.

I think the average detached house price is around 1million.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ntb1001; 10-22-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
OK guys lets keep politics out of it.

Thanks

How can you take politics out of this? It's basically Amazon shaking down States and cities for incentives.

While the east coast would be a no-brainer, I think in the next 2-3 years Amazon will purchase a CLS/3rd party provider to gain control of the final mile delivery and LTL segment of their supply chain and delivery to the end user. That said, I think upper Midwest makes a ton of sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 PM

Chicago will get it.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 PM

I'm with the Philadelphia movement. Close to major east coast hubs.
Coming from a NYC guy, it pains me to say something nice about them, but they have good schools, arts, restaurants. All stuff a big influx of employees with $100k+ incomes want.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
I've heard it said that big companies know well in advance where they want their new business to be. They just use approaching other cities as negotiating leverage to get tax advantages where they wanted to be all along.
Exactly. And this is one of the most data-driven companies in the world - the decision was likely made long ago.

KJ
Old 10-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Chicago will get it.
Detroit...we need a pool..pick location and time it's announced...winner gets a paceline cap..
Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
that's even more laughable than 50k employees commuting there. for those not familiar with boston, the proposed amazon site there is ringed by 2 scary roads (no shoulder, one divided road), adjacent to the airport, and constrained by the ocean on 2 sides. it's a weird bit of land that's been a dog track for the last 80 years.
Suffolk Downs is a horse track, Wonderland in Revere, which has also put a bid in, is the dog track. They are probably about 2 miles from each other. Either one would suck. It is already a traffic nightmare around both of them. Lynn also put a bid in which probably has the most space at the around the old GE factory which would go for pretty cheap. They'll even throw in the PCB's and jet fuel contaminated soil for free!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Detroit...we need a pool..pick location and time it's announced...winner gets a paceline cap..
I'm down with Detroit. Makes sense in the grander scheme.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 AM

I'll take a guess it ends up somewhere in one of the coastal (east or west) regions in FL. Favorable biz climate, no state income tax, lifestyle attraction for the workforce. Major companies have been moving backoffice operations in the Jacksonville and Tampa metro areas for the past several years.