Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I think a great price this early in the year. Maybe some of these if your door sills are not protected:

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__J...07131019A.html
I installed those on my Golf. Very nice. Take your time to avoid bubbles.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 AM

i had em done by local window tint guy

He'd never done vinyl door sills, but knew just how to approach it. He applied them wet and did some softening as needed with heat gun. Would have been bad for me, but he did it right. He did clear vinyl tape application on top of rear bumper too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post

I installed those on my Golf. Very nice. Take your time to avoid bubbles.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Update: After a frustrating experience at my local dealer which involved me ripping up a contract and making them refund me my deposit, I wound up heading down to the dealer that provided me the above prices to get a deal done on a GSW SE. The $22,118 was SORT OF a real number. The dealer's offer was actually 22,700 because all cars in New England come with this package that includes the floor mats, trunk liner, mudflaps which adds $600. Then I realized the price also includes the $500 recent grad incentive which I don't qualify for. But otherwise it was real. My adjusted price was about 23,200 then $450 for document prep, so all in $23,600 which was about $1,200 lower than my local dealership which pissed me off and gave me the run around. No haggling, no BS - Colonial VW of Medford advertises these prices online. Sticker says $28,390, price on their website says $22,700.

New car comes to me today, and I'll have both wagens for about 3 weeks until my buyback date.
Congrats. Colonial is the only VW dealer in New England that is operating like the DC dealers. Real prices with no haggling. You found the gotchas early which made it easier. BTW all VW's in New England don't come with those add ons, but they are installed at the port so you can't delete them anyway. You'll be happy that you have the mats and splash guards in a month or so. The other thing is that you might have been able to replace the recent grad incentive with an association incentive, like if you have a USA Cycling license.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Congrats. Colonial is the only VW dealer in New England that is operating like the DC dealers. Real prices with no haggling. You found the gotchas early which made it easier. BTW all VW's in New England don't come with those add ons, but they are installed at the port so you can't delete them anyway. You'll be happy that you have the mats and splash guards in a month or so. The other thing is that you might have been able to replace the recent grad incentive with an association incentive, like if you have a USA Cycling license.
The lady up here told me that they installed them at port and couldn't remove them and said, "what do you want me to do about it?" which is about where I lost my ***. I figured at the very least she could have offered them to me at her cost (which has to be about 1/4 of that $600 price tag), or offered to knock some of that $600 off the price since she was at invoice - which I know is really still a healthy money making number for her.

I was super frustrated with the style of operation there, where I was talking to my salesman who then had to go to her (the "sales manager") to get anything approved or signed, and it was like he was just a middle man and I wasn't able to actually talk to the person making choices. I just grew gradually more angry over the course of the 90 or so minutes they jerked me around until I finally lost it and stormed out (after ripping up the contract and getting a refund for my deposit).
Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 PM

Can anyone here shed any light on the document review process? I uploaded everything months ago and have been deemed "complete" but have been stuck at the Documents Review stage ever since (no offer or further info). I just tried to call the number but was told that the agents have no further information....I can't get rid of our TDI fast enough...already have a replacement and paying insurance on an extra car sucks.

Be patient or is there another way to push this?

Thx!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:38 PM

I may get myself expelled from here for buying this car but I'm besides myself with anticipation.

I put a deposit on it tonight. I've always wanted a sort of obnoxious car, huffing and whooshing and popping and such. It's a 2002, 23k miles, a compact (fits where the Golf parks), and so modified I'm somewhat worried about passing emissions. Owned by a completely OCD guy, which is the kind of guy you want to buy a car or bike from. The thing is so clean I'm betting it's cleaner than when it was picked up from the dealership. I actually apologized to the guy that I'd be turning it into a daily driver.

When I go pick it up (I have to buy winter tires first) I'll post. Until I have it in my hands it's not real so another week or so.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:29 PM

VW or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I may get myself expelled from here for buying this car but I'm besides myself with anticipation.

I put a deposit on it tonight. I've always wanted a sort of obnoxious car, huffing and whooshing and popping and such. It's a 2002, 23k miles, a compact (fits where the Golf parks), and so modified I'm somewhat worried about passing emissions. Owned by a completely OCD guy, which is the kind of guy you want to buy a car or bike from. The thing is so clean I'm betting it's cleaner than when it was picked up from the dealership. I actually apologized to the guy that I'd be turning it into a daily driver.

When I go pick it up (I have to buy winter tires first) I'll post. Until I have it in my hands it's not real so another week or so.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM

Gotta give some clues !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 PM
v a n i l l a

was this posted? mainly railing on the lack of timing for the offer.

http://jalopnik.com/why-volkswagen-t...lga-1789233795
Old 11-21-2016, 08:35 PM

This is a good read, VW has a riot on their hands

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Kaan and Associates have really messed this one up
Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 PM

Didn't want to jinx it. eBay listing just expired (he never took it down).

2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Nissan-...-/252636662263

Turbo, tuned, coilovers, sways, etc. 23.4k miles. Super clean, like you can run your finger inside the weather stripping and it comes out clean. Alternator has no corrosion on it. Looks cleaner than showroom. The thing looks magazine clean, beyond magazine clean.

He's the car version of the bike guy that cleans his cassette after each ride with a toothbrush. "I'm probably a bit OCD". His words. I apologized to him for wanting to daily drive the car.

I've always wanted a snap crackle pop car but usually didn't have the finances to do it myself, or, when I did, the will. I did buy a bunch of stuff for the Z and installed almost none of it. I did a bunch of stuff to my Civic but no engine mods. This thing... Intake makes that beautiful sucking noise, turbo spools up, the blowoff valve whooshes, there's a wonderful popping when you ease off the gas.

This car will make me smile every time I drive it. And yes, part of the smile is the ridiculousness of the car. It's one step below driving one of those bouncing air suspension cars that looks like it's having a seizure as it's driving down the road (which I would totally get as a 10th car or whatever if I had that kind of money).

Back in the day I was looking at the 2003 version of the car/Sentra. My debate then was Brembos or not since Brembos nixed another package I wanted, and it also deleted ABS. Instead I bought the Z. I like the 2002-03 SE-R nose better than the 2004+ ones. I thought if I had enough money I'd buy one of each primary color, red, blue, yellow. I figured that would look cool parked next to one another in my 3 car wide white-walled parking area (at the old house).

The Missus is totally supportive of me getting the car and in fact pushed me to go check it out because it was so close. That's the other thing. Normally these cars are in LA or SD or something, not 15 miles away from my house. So I went and checked it out.

I came back and told her, yes, it's obnoxiously loud, yes, it'll ride rough, and, yes, I want it. With that report she gave me the thumbs up to buy it.

My list of "things to do" are pretty short:
1. Snows and rims, literally so I can drive it back to the house.
2. Pass emissions. He has the original midpipe with the cat so at worst I'll have to buy the back part of the exhaust. Apparently the high flow exhaust sometimes sends a "missing cat" error code to the computer. The cats are there but high flow. I'll try emissions first with the current exhaust.
3. Remove the harness bar. That bar is all fun or whatever but Junior won't fit back there with the bar in place.
4. Remove NISMO from the windshield. The one thing I totally disagree with on the car.

As far as TDI stuff...

We haven't gotten any buyback money yet. We're leaning very heavily toward a new Civic hatch, 1.5 liter with a stick. That's what the Missus really wants and if I'm driving the Rice Krispies car then I'm 100% supportive of her driving the Civic.

Also I plan on sinking a required $2-3k or so into the Expedition. It's at 95k miles or something. I drive it maybe 2k a year so it has plenty of life, it tows the trailer, it wears snows all year round, it fits in our third bay, and it has three rows of seats. It needs plugs (a big deal for the Ford 5.4 liter 3v V-8), a radiator support (requires welding in a new one), and exhaust studs/manifolds (massive pain to replace rusted studs). I vocalized if I should get rid of it and get a cheap truck that "doesn't need work" for $5-7k and realized the folly of that sentence because any truck that is $5-7k needs work.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaWheelie View Post
Can anyone here shed any light on the document review process? I uploaded everything months ago and have been deemed "complete" but have been stuck at the Documents Review stage ever since (no offer or further info). I just tried to call the number but was told that the agents have no further information....I can't get rid of our TDI fast enough...already have a replacement and paying insurance on an extra car sucks.

Be patient or is there another way to push this?

Thx!
You can't push anything. The help line won't even give you status unless you escalate to level 2, and they are pretty much clueless. You are in the same state as many, waiting for the auditors to sign off and present your offer. Plan on about a month after approval.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:13 AM

Getting too old for that kind of stuff Left to my own devices I'd likely wind up in a mitsubishi evo or something

You're going to roll like Ali G

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Quote:

2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V.

Turbo, tuned, coilovers, sways, etc. 23.4k miles. Super clean, like you can run your finger inside the weather stripping and it comes out clean. Alternator has no corrosion on it. Looks cleaner than showroom. The thing looks magazine clean, beyond magazine clean.

He's the car version of the bike guy that cleans his cassette after each ride with a toothbrush. "I'm probably a bit OCD". His words. I apologized to him for wanting to daily drive the car.

I've always wanted a snap crackle pop car but usually didn't have the finances to do it myself, or, when I did, the will. I did buy a bunch of stuff for the Z and installed almost none of it. I did a bunch of stuff to my Civic but no engine mods. This thing... Intake makes that beautiful sucking noise, turbo spools up, the blowoff valve whooshes, there's a wonderful popping when you ease off the gas.

This car will make me smile every time I drive it. And yes, part of the smile is the ridiculousness of the car. It's one step below driving one of those bouncing air suspension cars that looks like it's having a seizure as it's driving down the road (which I would totally get as a 10th car or whatever if I had that kind of money).

Back in the day I was looking at the 2003 version of the car/Sentra. My debate then was Brembos or not since Brembos nixed another package I wanted, and it also deleted ABS. Instead I bought the Z. I like the 2002-03 SE-R nose better than the 2004+ ones. I thought if I had enough money I'd buy one of each primary color, red, blue, yellow. I figured that would look cool parked next to one another in my 3 car wide white-walled parking area (at the old house).

The Missus is totally supportive of me getting the car and in fact pushed me to go check it out because it was so close. That's the other thing. Normally these cars are in LA or SD or something, not 15 miles away from my house. So I went and checked it out.

I came back and told her, yes, it's obnoxiously loud, yes, it'll ride rough, and, yes, I want it. With that report she gave me the thumbs up to buy it.

2. Pass emissions. He has the original midpipe with the cat so at worst I'll have to buy the back part of the exhaust. Apparently the high flow exhaust sometimes sends a "missing cat" error code to the computer. The cats are there but high flow. I'll try emissions first with the current exhaust.
3. Remove the harness bar. That bar is all fun or whatever but Junior won't fit back there with the bar in place.
4. Remove NISMO from the windshield. The one thing I totally disagree with on the car.

As far as TDI stuff...

We haven't gotten any buyback money yet. We're leaning very heavily toward a new Civic hatch, 1.5 liter with a stick. That's what the Missus really wants and if I'm driving the Rice Krispies car then I'm 100% supportive of her driving the Civic.

Also I plan on sinking a required $2-3k or so into the Expedition. It's at 95k miles or something. I drive it maybe 2k a year so it has plenty of life, it tows the trailer, it wears snows all year round, it fits in our third bay, and it has three rows of seats. It needs plugs (a big deal for the Ford 5.4 liter 3v V-8), a radiator support (requires welding in a new one), and exhaust studs/manifolds (massive pain to replace rusted studs). I vocalized if I should get rid of it and get a cheap truck that "doesn't need work" for $5-7k and realized the folly of that sentence because any truck that is $5-7k needs work.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Ali G...one of my favorites after Tony Clifton!

Good for you getting a fun car. I like to see people indulging that...and with mods done well, you save an almost infinite amount of time, money & hassle. (Though some people like me really enjoy the building/designing process). My cars are several decades less developed, but the Weber carb induction noise and naturally high-revving Fiat Lampredi motor yields the same grins. Enjoy & congrats on the green light from the boss too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:

2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V.

As far as TDI stuff...

Cool choice. Lot of work done and looks like it was done well - which is important for a car that heavily modded. Easy to blow one of those motors up if you don't know what you are doing and just keep bolting things on and cranking up the boost.

I had a same generation Sentra GXE (2001 I think) - was the first MT car that I drove exclusively. Was a good little car. Sold it to buy an Audi A3 4 mostly trouble free years later.

Drive the ever loving snot out of that thing. That's what it was built for. I foresee some HDPE/AutoX in your future as well.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads