Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Vendor

Don't tease me.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Administrator

i get the angst, but if you really do like the frame - just have mike z put it in the frame jig and straighten it out. the problem doesnt look too severe to me, and once its confirmed straight, you'll have a nice frame with a story behind it.

i wouldnt waste any more time arguing with the builder.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i get the angst, but if you really do like the frame - just have mike z put it in the frame jig and straighten it out. the problem doesnt look too severe to me, and once its confirmed straight, you'll have a nice frame with a story behind it.

i wouldnt waste any more time arguing with the builder.
Something like this can be fixed without rewelding? Then I would definitely go that route.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Vendor

Yes. The milkshake ordeal was so uncool, but very delicious.

It could be entirely cosmetic. Seat stays are coped on angle and on an offset (to give them their "wrap" around the seat tube). I have seen many many many frames that have one seat stay with a "deeper" offset. The seat stay then falls closer to the centerline of the frame compared to the other seat stay. So while the stay is closer to the tire, the wheel is perfectly in line with the steering axis in the vertical direction. That is what we will check.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:09 AM

Just depends if it's really out of alignment or not. Could be just sloppy build.

Last edited by Ralph; 11-24-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Lanterne rouge

Kirk and Zank.
Zank and Krik.

Some of the people that make this place great.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Kirk and Zank.
Zank and Kirk.

Some of the people that make this place great.
+1,000,000 to that.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Man, this sounds like no fun.

The idea of waiting so long and not getting a perfect frame would drive me crazy.

I hope things work out and thank you for mentioning the builder.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Very cool that Mr. Zank can take a look at it. He'll be able to tell what is wrong in short order.

FWIW - someone above said this is merely a cosmetic issue. I couldn't disagree more on this. It appears the frame has a structural misalignment and it manifests itself in a few ways -

When the wheel sits off-center between the seat stays (assuming the stays themselves are equidistant from the frame center-line) it has a seldom talked about effect. When the rim is off to the left at the top that means it is also off to the right at the bottom by the same amount. This means that if the bike is dead vertical that the rear wheel will not be and will lean to one side...and...that the contact patch of the tire is not directly under the center-line of the bike. This means that in order for the rider to balance over the bike that it will need to lean to one side slightly so that the riders center-of-mass will sit directly over the tire's contact patch. This lean will make the bike turn slightly to one side (bikes change direction by leaning) and in order to go straight the rider will need to constantly steer the bike in the opposite direction.

This ends up making it so that when the rider is going dead straight that the rear wheel will not follow exactly in the path of the front but instead will be off to one side. This is often called "dog walking" because it can resemble the look that some dog have as they walk slightly sideways.

Will a bike like this still be rideable? Of course....the rider can pedal and go and squeeze the levers and stop and lean the bike and it will change direction. Will it handle as it should at speed? No, it will not.

I hope Mike can put the bike right for you and/or you can get a full refund. The frame should be fixed or replaced.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

dave
Old 11-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
Don't tease me.
Do you remember that time you ordred a large milkshake thinking I would order one too but instead I got a diet coke?