Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 03:13 PM

Semi OT: Return to cycling/activity post Dengue Fever

Hey PL,

Anyone on here ever had a bout with Dengue Fever? I am 100% sure I am recovering from a case acquired on a trip to the tropics during Feb vaca week.

Symptoms first started early last Friday (23-Feb) and 5+ days later, I am just now barely (barely) starting to feel semi-human again. I'm 41 and in good overall health (eat/sleep well, very active) and I think this has been the worst illness I've ever battled. It's just miserable. Here's a run down of the symptoms from the CDC...that basically what I have had in a nutshell (I don't have any of the severe/life threatening stuff, just "regular"): https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/symptoms/index.html

For anyone here's that's had Dengue before, please tell me about your recovery and return to activity? I am trying to find guidance about what steps to take and over what time frame to take them in terms of ramping back up to "normal" activity, but I'm not finding much in terms of great resources/info in searching around...

If anyone's got experience to share I would appreciate it.

Last edited by jcs7282; 02-28-2024 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:36 PM

Dengue is certainly possible but, these days Covid is much more likely, especially after a long plane flight. Dengue used to be called (maybe still is) “break bone fever” because of the severe body aches but I’ve also seen people with Covid with severe myalgias.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:49 PM

Go to any half decent infectious disease or tropical medicine doctor and they'll test for antibodies/antigens.

Dengue has a few strains and people can react differently. For me it was an intermittent, cyclical/recurring fever every three days or so, with some other symptoms mixed in, that lasted 3 months before I really was recovered enough to be fully active again. Not knowing what I had, the tropical institute in Antwerp ran a bunch of tests and found positivity for Dengue. PM me for more in depth description or questions.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:50 PM

I hear you, but Dengue is rampant where we visited and I have had COVID before...and this ain't it