Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 08:14 AM

I can usually find used Force carbon arms for half new, if patient. Last set I did have to buy new as needed gxp 165's and they're rareish. 172.5's easy, bb30 easy, just a difficult combo.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I guess if you needed to get fancy matchy-matchy cranks a spider based power meter might be that expensive, but you can get a one for about half that. If you've already got an interchangeable spider crankset, then a Sigeyi power meter spider is only about $380. If you don't have a compatible crankset, then you can currently get an SRAM Rival 22 crankset (3 bolt spider interface, with chainrings) for about $100, for a cost of $480 all-in. If you want carbon crank arms, then get an SRAM Force 22 crankset for about $230, or about $610 all-in.
It's much easier situation if you're on SRAM, that's for sure. For me, one I strongly dislike the aesthetics of SRAM cranksets other than RED, and two, one of my main bikes is BB90 so no 30mm compatibility. I also have a pretty strong preference towards Shimano everything for front shifting reliability.

Waiting for Shimano to get their act together and commoditize their crank-based power meters...
Old 04-06-2024, 05:20 PM

Anyone see the cranks actually in stock yet?
Old 04-15-2024, 03:06 PM

Posting as a heads up. Anne-Marije Rook at Cyclingweekly has a review PM, and she saw that the Campy PM is reading higher than other sources on a few test rides.

GPLama said on his YouTube that Campy hadn't reached out to him, but he expressed a lot of concern based on the Cyclingweekly article.

I think I said elsewhere that Keith Wakeham, a power meter engineer, was working on this PM. He actually worked with Campy until 2019 or so. So, those molds in the arms may have been his design. He was also concerned about the accuracy.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Posting as a heads up. Anne-Marije Rook at Cyclingweekly has a review PM, and she saw that the Campy PM is reading higher than other sources on a few test rides.

GPLama said on his YouTube that Campy hadn't reached out to him, but he expressed a lot of concern based on the Cyclingweekly article.

I think I said elsewhere that Keith Wakeham, a power meter engineer, was working on this PM. He actually worked with Campy until 2019 or so. So, those molds in the arms may have been his design. He was also concerned about the accuracy.
Keith's take: https://youtu.be/KfAvHdTVT4g
Old 04-06-2024, 07:11 AM

Makes sense , seems like even cheap power meters meet the 2% goal?

Also, I would just like to say that if you only had 1 meter or one type with matching errors across bikes nobody would notice these errors and I doubt it would impact training effectiveness.

I wonder how much a riders FTP changes day on day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
1% is good. 2% is ok-ish. Above that is a problem. At 3% that's 9w at 300w output. That's enough to materially change my FTP which is what all my zones are based on. 10w over/under FTP is a big difference.

Edit - Also, those values are +/-. So worst-case, the differences between two different meters are double the above values.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:21 PM

Non-replaceable battery btw. once that thing is toast you have to send it in to get the battery replaced. That would cost you another $1k
Old 04-05-2024, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Non-replaceable battery btw. once that thing is toast you have to send it in to get the battery replaced. That would cost you another $1k
Checked with Campagnolo,NA, not $1000 for a new battery, not even close..more like $850 or so..

Sarcasm...I guess you forgot the or or

Lessee, how much is a SRM? I forget...
Old 04-05-2024, 07:39 AM

*duplicate post
Old 04-05-2024, 07:39 AM

SRM offers a PowerMeter Comprehensive Service for $200, which includes battery replacement, recalibration, and QC test at least this is for the SRM 9

You can also upgrade other, select SRM to rechargeable USB based SRM 9 boards for $850
Old 04-05-2024, 08:54 AM

Definitely an expensive piece of kit but pricing seems to be inline when compared to the SRM esp the campy version which looks to be around 2700 on their site once you add rings. Sounds like the WRL one has a ti axle compared to SRM's steel one.
Id be interested to see a comparision between the two as far as function/reliability/
I do dig the way it looks...
Old 04-05-2024, 09:12 AM

The folks over at Weight Weenies think that the SR WRL power meter was made in partnership with SRM, based on the description of the status LEDs. Looking at the manuals for each, I have to agree that the status LED operation appears to be identical, which certainly implies similar firmware:

https://www.campagnolo.com/on/demand...00_02_2024.pdf
https://srm.de/wp-content/uploads/20...al_v1.4_en.pdf
Old 04-05-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The folks over at Weight Weenies think that the SR WRL power meter was made in partnership with SRM, based on the description of the status LEDs. Looking at the manuals for each, I have to agree that the status LED operation appears to be identical, which certainly implies similar firmware:
I would have thought this was obvious just by looking at the thing without the flashy LED's.

No need for Campy to start from ground up here if they can partner up. They'd have learned from Shimano's repeat stuff ups too in the PM space.

My curiosity is around the commercials between the two companies, seeing as though Campy branded PM may eat into SRM's own sales. Clearly a compromise was struck that is of benefit to both parties.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:14 AM

in italy is roughly 1700€ which is not bad at all considering that Stages single side is 900€.
Shimano DA power meter with chainrings is 1200-1300 and it's made in alloy.

For once I think Campagnolo did not set an outrageous price for their component. and integrated battery is a big thing. Much better insulated from the elements compared to replaceable batteries and, in my book, not an issue at all, actually a big plus. Steve Jobs teaches...closed systems are always superior.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
Definitely an expensive piece of kit but pricing seems to be inline when compared to the SRM esp the campy version which looks to be around 2700 on their site once you add rings. Sounds like the WRL one has a ti axle compared to SRM's steel one.
Id be interested to see a comparision between the two as far as function/reliability/
I do dig the way it looks...
This