Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2023, 02:00 PM
kg

Rim brake pads for arc carbon track

I recently started riding Light Bicycle carbon wheels with the arc-cut brake track. They are tearing through my Swiss Stop Black Prince pads quickly. Despite the fast wear, are these still the best bet or is there another product people are liking?
Old 09-02-2023, 02:35 PM

I'm not sure what LightBicycle supplies with their wheels but I have had great success with them. My experience with black prince pad has been wonderful feel and power but quick wearing even on non-textured brake tracks. I have also had great luck with Shimanos carbon rim pads.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:01 PM

Following this thread. I’m running Black Prince pads on BTLOS rims with arc brake tracks. Great stopping power and modulation, but definitely wear quickly.

Greg
Old 05-09-2024, 12:10 PM

Did you find something that wore a bit better?

Any comment on how the braking is with the textured track vs rims without it?
Old 05-09-2024, 12:25 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Did you find something that wore a bit better?

Any comment on how the braking is with the textured track vs rims without it?
I rode and raced rim brake non-textured carbon for years and was never satisfied with braking performance. The arc-textured brake track with direct-mount rim brakes have been a huge improvement. The modulation is a little funky with some grabbing under certain circumstances but I can abide.

Since this post, my outdoor riding diminished for a variety of reasons. As a result, I haven’t run through the Black Prince pads yet. Although I haven’t tried the Yellow King on these, I used to tear through those even faster (I think) without the textured track. I took note in the other thread of someone’s endorsement of the Campy Red and might try those next.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:32 PM

I recently built some new wheels for my Hakkalugi rain bike. I used Light Bicycle AR36 rims with the upgraded brake track, along with Koolstop carbon-specific pads, part number KS-DR2CF2.

Build was described in this thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=305424

This combo works very well for me.

I can't say what the wear rate is relative to Swiss stop as I have no experience with them. I have a feeling that LB brake track does wear pads quickly because it's a bit of cheese grater in shape.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Following this thread. I’m running Black Prince pads on BTLOS rims with arc brake tracks. Great stopping power and modulation, but definitely wear quickly.

Greg

Same here. Are there any suggestions for a good compromise between cost, longevity and performance? The best options seems to be from campagnolo and Swissstop but those are also very expensive...
Old 05-09-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJersey View Post
Same here. Are there any suggestions for a good compromise between cost, longevity and performance? The best options seems to be from campagnolo and Swissstop but those are also very expensive...
Kool-Stop makes several variants of carbon pads, all available for quite reasonable prices ($11-18 per pair). Does anyone have experience with Kool-Stop carbon rim pads?

Greg
Old 05-09-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Kool-Stop makes several variants of carbon pads, all available for quite reasonable prices ($11-18 per pair). Does anyone have experience with Kool-Stop carbon rim pads?

Greg
I do! As mentioned two posts up in this thread, I have Kool Stop CF2 pads for the same rims as the OP - LB with the upgraded brake surface.

They work well. I don't have a lot of miles on them yet - maybe 200 - so no idea how long they will last. But they do stop nicely, even when wet.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
I do! As mentioned two posts up in this thread, I have Kool Stop CF2 pads for the same rims as the OP - LB with the upgraded brake surface.

They work well. I don't have a lot of miles on them yet - maybe 200 - so no idea how long they will last. But they do stop nicely, even when wet.
Thank you! My apologies for missing your earlier post. Please let us know how durable they prove over time.

Greg
Old 05-09-2024, 10:25 PM

I am using BTLOS white pads that I got with my BTLOS rims.
They have lasted a long time and still have a lot of life left.
Only complaint is the loud buzzing noise when braking.
I am not sure Black Prince would be quieter?
Old 05-10-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I am using BTLOS white pads that I got with my BTLOS rims.
They have lasted a long time and still have a lot of life left.
Only complaint is the loud buzzing noise when braking.
I am not sure Black Prince would be quieter?
Seems like most carbon rim brake pads make an interesting noise under braking - like a warbling hum. Fortunately it's not a squeal because we've all had enough of that.