Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Bertin value? And a very special Schwinn

Helping an old coach of mine (Mike Fraysse) clean out his basement full of parts and bikes from all eras. I have a grasp on outlets/prices on most of it but there's quite a few of you on here that have far more knowledge on vintage road bikes. I haven't sorted it all yet, but on top of the bikes below there's a 55cm Vitus 992, there's probably 80 sets of vintage tubular rims (I was thinking of trying to sell them as a lot), a few Paris Sport bikes, vintage road/track/aero bars and some other odds and ends left.

Any input on the following would be appreciated:

Bertin 56cm c-c top tube, 138mm ht, 56.5 c-t seat tube
Normal superficial paint scratches but paint all and all is good. No dents. Lugs all look great.
10 speed Huret Svelto groupset
Stronglight 170 cranks 52/39 chainrings
Weinmann 610 brakes
Beri Stem
Belleri St Etienne Handlebar
Weinmann rims to Sunshine hubs
Carideng 27 1/4 tires

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 04-21-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:43 PM

This one is an oddball. I may have luck on ebay or locally being down the road from the velodrome. It's a 1968 Schwinn Paramount tandem track bike, Owned by the Campbell brothers (buddy and gary). Have the measurements but not right in front of me. Comes with a campy headset and 40h record rear hub (extremely rare)

Old 04-21-2020, 04:53 PM

You might try the Classic Rendezvous Google Group. You do need to set a price there, so maybe eBay would be the best bet.

Or maybe, if things improve by then, the Trexlertown swap meet will happen this fall.

Bertin is an undervalued brand. I bet the bike would make a great commuter for someone, but I doubt it would fetch more than $300, unless you find a Bertin collector. It's not worth parting out the bike, since the components and wheels are not really desirable on their own.

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-21-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
You might try the Classic Rendezvous Google Group. You do need to set a price there, so maybe eBay would be the best bet.

Or maybe, if things improve by then, the Trexlertown swap meet will happen this fall.

Bertin is an undervalued brand. I bet the bike would make a great commuter for someone, but I doubt it would fetch more than $300, unless you find a Bertin collector. It's not worth parting out the bike, since the components and wheels are not really desirable on their own.

Sweet thanks for the suggestion. There's not many in the sold section on ebay, didn't figure it to be all that collectible but just looking for a ballpark to list it at.

I sure hope the t-town swap happens in October, I've lugged my stuff there from hours away for years and now that I live down the road the swap gets cancelled...my luck.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:44 PM

Old 04-21-2020, 06:12 PM

Wow, lost of vintage stuff there.

Mike Fraysse is certainly a big name in New York and New Jersey cycling history. I'm curious why he doesn't put these things on eBay? He already has a lot of small parts listed there: https://www.ebay.com/sch/mike_frayss...p2047675.l2562.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Wow, lost of vintage stuff there.

Mike Fraysse is certainly a big name in New York and New Jersey cycling history. I'm curious why he doesn't put these things on eBay? He already has a lot of small parts listed there: https://www.ebay.com/sch/mike_frayss...p2047675.l2562.
He's got more than he can handle at the moment so I'm helping him out with the loads in the basement. He's also in his 70's now and packing bikes, wheels, etc is a bit much these days
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
He's got more than he can handle at the moment so I'm helping him out with the loads in the basement. He's also in his 70's now and packing bikes, wheels, etc is a bit much these days
That's very kind of you. Good luck! I hope all these things go to people who appreciate them.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:43 PM

Any pics of the Paris-Sports?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC rider View Post
Any pics of the Paris-Sports?
Just some crappy ones. Haven't taken them out of the basement yet, will post them when I do
Old 04-21-2020, 06:53 PM

By the way, I really don't know much about the Bertin brand, and I was surprised to see that this one was made in Belgium. I thought they were all made in France. I just did a search and found information here on the Bertin blog:

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...de-in-belgium/

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...dre-made-them/

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...-models-types/

This could be worth more than my estimate. You might want to contact the owner of the Bertin blog for his opinion.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Administrator

i know when you get the itch the inspiration is there, but this may be the worst time in decades to try and sell anything.

maybe a good time to pull stuff out and clean it up, but this is not a good time to gauge the used or new market. so many people are tightening their wallet strings and waiting to see what happens next.

just a thought.

also, i hope t-town happens in the fall also!
Old 04-21-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
Just some crappy ones. Haven't taken them out of the basement yet, will post them when I do

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing them.
I also hope T-Town happens. I need my Yocco's fix!!!

Last edited by WNC rider; 04-21-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i know when you get the itch the inspiration is there, but this may be the worst time in decades to try and sell anything.

maybe a good time to pull stuff out and clean it up, but this is not a good time to gauge the used or new market. so many people are tightening their wallet strings and waiting to see what happens next.

just a thought.

also, i hope t-town happens in the fall also!
I run an ebay store on the side and bike stuff has done great the past few weeks, between people realizing it's one of the few things they can still do right now and these stimulus checks it's been surprisingly good. Probably not a long term thing but definitely a pleasant surprise on my end.

Tags
schwinn bertin