Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM

Assos Bib Short Question

I posted a WTB in the classifieds...however.

Anybody ride both: T.MILLESHORTS_S7 and FI.Mille S5 and find them equally comfy? I really like the S5 including the non stepped chamois and the small grippers on the legs vs modern super wide.

Anything else Mille S5 riders like as well? Don't need to be Assos but love em.

Thanks in advance

Also Rapha Classics don't do it for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Assos Shorts

So I have worn all three of the shorts you refer to. Honestly the Rapha's are very good so my experience is different than yours.

There is a definite difference in the two Assos shorts. I believe the S5's are good for trainer rides and shorter club rides, I would never ride them on a long ride. I think the compression and the pad denisty is better on the S7's. I would suggest that if you can get the S7's on sale, they are a great short, regular price is just a little to pricey.

I don't think either short is bad, but I really believe the S7's are better.

Ray
Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
So I have worn all three of the shorts you refer to. Honestly the Rapha's are very good so my experience is different than yours.

There is a definite difference in the two Assos shorts. I believe the S5's are good for trainer rides and shorter club rides, I would never ride them on a long ride. I think the compression and the pad denisty is better on the S7's. I would suggest that if you can get the S7's on sale, they are a great short, regular price is just a little to pricey.

I don't think either short is bad, but I really believe the S7's are better.

Ray
Thanks Ray,

Rapha Classic is a great short but didn't fit me. You find the S7 similar in fit to the Mille S5? I don't love super compressive shorts and I love the pad in the S5 even up to 70+ miles.

Chamois and fit feel the same...S7 gets the nod for denser pad and more compression? S5 is a simple 4 panel short...is the S7 also?

How about length? I have reg and it's perfect.

Thanks much
Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks Ray,

Rapha Classic is a great short but didn't fit me. You find the S7 similar in fit to the Mille S5? I don't love super compressive shorts and I love the pad in the S5 even up to 70+ miles.

Chamois and fit feel the same...S7 gets the nod for denser pad and more compression? S5 is a simple 4 panel short...is the S7 also?

How about length? I have reg and it's perfect.

Thanks much
I actually cannot remember how many panels the S7's are, but they fit really good. I don't know if I would call them more compressive, but they seem to be thicker so I would characterize them as consistently compressive.

I am a short guy and I follow the Assos fit guide and dont find them long, but I would say above the knee and I am longer torso shorter legs. For me I consider the S7s the go to short, I will typically ride the S5s on my 25 to 40 mi rides or rides in my cycle class.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I actually cannot remember how many panels the S7's are, but they fit really good. I don't know if I would call them more compressive, but they seem to be thicker so I would characterize them as consistently compressive.

I am a short guy and I follow the Assos fit guide and dont find them long, but I would say above the knee and I am longer torso shorter legs. For me I consider the S7s the go to short, I will typically ride the S5s on my 25 to 40 mi rides or rides in my cycle class.
thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Be aware that the various models of the S7 bibs fit differently. The t.mille is a more generous comfort fit. The t.equipe has the more compressive fit.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:17 AM

I'm lanky so I ride the Equipe S7, not the Mille. It's now my go-to bib. Everything else I own is inferior. I've been picking up a pair every few weeks as funds become available.

I'm 5'10" 150lbs and I wear a medium. I could probably wear a small, which is what I wear in every other bib short, but that was their recommendation. With the medium, I don't even know they're on. The only drawback is that the leg band wrinkles a little when standing up off of the bike. On the bike, no issues.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Be aware that the various models of the S7 bibs fit differently. The t.mille is a more generous comfort fit. The t.equipe has the more compressive fit.
Thanks yes. That's why I like the Mille I think in part at least. Love the chamois and leg grippers. I ride long and tour quite a bit. I also use relatively cushy saddles these days.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I'm lanky so I ride the Equipe S7, not the Mille. It's now my go-to bib. Everything else I own is inferior. I've been picking up a pair every few weeks as funds become available.

I'm 5'10" 150lbs and I wear a medium. I could probably wear a small, which is what I wear in every other bib short, but that was their recommendation. With the medium, I don't even know they're on. The only drawback is that the leg band wrinkles a little when standing up off of the bike. On the bike, no issues.
Thanks for the knowledge.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 PM

I have both S7 T.Equipe, which are very compressive and the S5 Mille (and the S5 FI.Uno!)...I find no performance advantage in the S7 T.Equipe's over either of the S5's,, I rate them 90% on my personal scale....
Actually, my go to bibs for long rides are Sportful Total Comforts or Super Comforts
Just personal preference.....I'm always looking for the 100 percenters!..
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
I have both S7 T.Equipe, which are very compressive and the S5 Mille (and the S5 FI.Uno!)...I find no performance advantage in the S7 T.Equipe's over either of the S5's,, I rate them 90% on my personal scale....
Actually, my go to bibs for long rides are Sportful Total Comforts or Super Comforts
Just personal preference.....I'm always looking for the 100 percenters!..
Thanks for the input. Not sure if I know Sportful. D0 they also make running gear?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 PM

I have a set of the S7 Equipes. The Rapha Classics are a much more relaxed feeling short (imo). If they didn't feel good, you might want to try the Pro Team shorts. Much more compressive, a better fit (again, imo). Like my Classics, love my PT. Might size up in PT, though. I did.
Also, we have a sponsor that makes some very nice shorts. Catella. Very comfortable. In the bar above...

Last edited by makoti; 08-17-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Not sure about running gear..I think Sportful is the sister company of Castelli...
Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM

if you are done with the "camel toe" look of assos bibs, try Isadore bibs. Comfiest bib i have found, and no annoying "camel toe".

climbers are my favorites, but the signature and echelon bibs are quite nice as well. signature prob has the least compression and longer day pad
Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Riding Along

I have the FI.Mille S5 and the S7 Neopro bib shorts. They have the same fit (compression and length) and the same thickness of pad. Below the waist they feel indentical. I do not like high compression bibs, and they are both just right. However, the new design of the straps on the S7 shorts is in every way better than the S5 line. Super comfortable and the lower cut on the front makes peeing so much easier. The fabric on the S7 is much better wearing then the S5 shorts as well. My S5 shorts have 1/2 the miles of the S7's and are fading from UV light. The S7 look the same as the day I bought them. The bonus is that the Neopro's are the least expensive shorts that Assos sells!