Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Best recommendation in this thread. I do this for all high-value items. You can change the delivery location from your residence or business to a FedEx store through their website. No more waiting at home for a bike frame or hoping for it to not be stolen from your porch.

Greg
I do the same thing. I have it shipped to my house, then intercept with an exception to deliver to the local FedEx/Kinkos that's on my way home from work.

I've had two small packages from the UK, from two different vendors, shipped via DHL. Four days from order to delivery. I intercept and tell them to put the package in between the storm door and front door, and that's just what they do.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Best recommendation in this thread. I do this for all high-value items. You can change the delivery location from your residence or business to a FedEx store through their website. No more waiting at home for a bike frame or hoping for it to not be stolen from your porch.

Greg
me too. store is a few miles from my house and the staff are nice and professional. no drama with fedex deliveries.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 PM

I want to vent about my FedEx experience (via BikeFlights). I had a bike worth >$3k shipped to me to be signed for only by me personally. My building in Brooklyn has an issue with package theft so it was made very clear that I had to sign for the package personally. I took the day off work to be there when it arrived to be sure. What did the driver do? Made up a fake name, signed for it himself, and dumped it in my lobby. He may as well have written 'STEAL ME' on it and left it on the sidewalk. When I saw it had been delivered, I ran down and sure enough - no package. A claim was immediately filed with bikeflights which led to a series of panicked calls from fedex, bikeflight, and even the driver himself - who had the nerve to accuse my super of stealing it. Thankfully, a retried gentleman I knew well in my building had seen it sitting there and brought it inside thinking I was at work. I must say that experience left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
I want to vent about my FedEx experience (via BikeFlights). I had a bike worth >$3k shipped to me to be signed for only by me personally. My building in Brooklyn has an issue with package theft so it was made very clear that I had to sign for the package personally. I took the day off work to be there when it arrived to be sure. What did the driver do? Made up a fake name, signed for it himself, and dumped it in my lobby. He may as well have written 'STEAL ME' on it and left it on the sidewalk. I must say that experience left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

I've had drivers take and leave tags on my door WHILE I AM HOME!!! And say no one was there. I called in and told them the situation and they blamed me! I was like, look at the time! what time does he say he was here. It's 1 minute later! How is this my fault?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I've had drivers take and leave tags on my door WHILE I AM HOME!!! And say no one was there. I called in and told them the situation and they blamed me! I was like, look at the time! what time does he say he was here. It's 1 minute later! How is this my fault?
Well, you should have planned your bathroom breaks better.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
aka mbrt

I can't comment on shipping international or to a private residence, but I've shipped a couple of million dollars' worth of tooling via FedEx over the last few years without an issue. I know my experience is anecdotal but maybe FedEx is not the best for your application. My wife has had no problems with UPS or USPS for the stuff delivered to our house.

Ray
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
should have taken this guy'd advice and avoided FedEx:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204628
Yes, you could have taken that guy's advice. Except that I had a bad experience with USPS, and someone just reported a bad experience with UPS. What do you want to do, deliver in person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Ouch!

IME, they can all screw up. Cross your fingers and ship.
Seems like there is no good way to do things otherwise. If it's a valuable thing, then I'd probably require signature confirmation. I did resolve to ask people what shipping they preferred if the item justified it (e.g. lockring put in first class mail, probably no other option, but a pair of shifters - I'll ask).
Old 10-03-2017, 06:08 PM

I just got a shipment from the Rapha sale via Fedex. Everything was in there, but someone had opened the package and stuck two more unopened fedex packages in there and then resealed the box with packing tape. The other packages were not even shipped from the same part of the country or for delivery where I live. I called fedex and they are picking them up but it really makes me question how well they manage packages. Someone is missing packages and if I hadn't called they would never have any idea where they went.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:48 PM

They left our new dehumidifier sit on the front of our porch today in the rain. No big deal as I got home early but 3 more steps would have put it under the eve of the house. I sure wish people took more pride in thir work.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
This just happened to me last week with some shifters. Not that I was waiting from them, but wife and I are at home all day... we live in a brownstone and when I opened the street level to leave to go find something for lunch, there was a mound of packages, including a ups tag saying I had to pick up at a location. They were so lazy they couldn't ring the bell...
Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 PM

IMO all depends a lot of the driver, if the driver sucks..... well....
Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
IMO all depends a lot of the driver, if the driver sucks..... well....
This thread is making me mighty nervous as expecting some Shamals to be delivered tomorrow. Am hoping Ultra is correct. The local FedEx in Greenpoint, Brooklyn is bad and their customer service from that office is worse. Earlier this year, wasted three days waiting for them to deliver a bike flights package. Finally had to go to their location to pick up, after they told me they didn't know where it was. Local UPS guy is a nice guy who I've actually talked with, unlike the FedEx folks. Apologies when he's late, talks about things. Maybe it's because we rescued a baby raccoon together. I kid you not
Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 PM

Last week I came home to five UPS packages stacked one on top of the other on my porch so that they were taller than the porch walls and visible from two sides of my house. The one on the bottom was stamped "Medicine - Refrigerate Immediately" all over the place and the recipient address was many miles and zip codes away from mine. Thankfully, the addressee's phone number was printed on it so I called and had them come pick it up. Otherwise, what was I supposed to do, call some UPS 800 number and be on hold forever trying to find the right person to figure it out?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Do you have your logo printed on the box? If so next time you get boxes made up skip the logo.

dave
diversion labels? Ed's Cat Poo --- only the finest feline feces delivered to your door!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Greg
I do this too, even though I have to drive 5 miles to the Fedex center. Well worth it.