Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM
cnighbor2

any new frame

shouldn't any new frame have the oversize bottom bracket shell
I know bill Davidson is very busy building Ti frames with that BB
Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 PM

TBH... OS BB works on say a carbon bike. On a steel bike, standard BSA is fine. With a carbon bike, you can transfer all of that pedal and power directly into that huge junction of lightweight carbon. On metal bikes, not so much. I'm no frame builder, but don't swallow the industry pill saying you need OS headtube and BB. I know plenty of guys who still build modern frames with standard BSA bottom brackets, and they're plenty fine in the stiffness department. There are some advantages to OS BB, like attaching oversize chain stays and creating tire clearance. All of which can be done with a standard BSA BB as well..

My speedvagen has a Standard BSA BB, and I've never felt flex all of the years I've owned it.

Steve Potts is a builder, I'll have a frame from one day. He's in a league with the Ti greats (Eriksen, DaSalvo, etc)

Last edited by denapista; 08-16-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Can't comment on the road offerings but did buy an MTB frame from Steve soon after he re-hung the Potts-shingle after separating from WTB. Bike is (still) awesome and the purchasing experience excellent. I'd say move forward with confidence if you decide what he offers is for you.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 PM

You could also try Erik at Alliance.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Do you mean the frames are heavy relative to other makers' titanium? I do not have a good idea of what straight titanium tubes vs butted means in real terms.
I will at least share my perspective because I am sure I had a similar conversation with Steve.

He builds bikes with Ti tubes that are appropriate for the rider, like builders do, and will generally challenge a request if he does not see the value. Big head tubes for small guys as an example.

I do not think the idea is that he in any way over engineers or overbuilds his frames. He simply draws the line at straight gauge tubes as butted tubes are suspect to a greater chance of side impact and he simply does not want to have you drop you bike sideways on a boulder and puts a dent in your Potts. Straight gauge allows him to build you a bike tuned for you without carving off extra weight at the expense of durability.

I hope I have provided a fair and accurate perspective.

Regarding weight. Butted vs. non-butted Ti for a road frame might be around 0.2lbs difference at least based on what I have seen from Ti frames by Seven Cycles as an example.

Dancing banana added at request of my 12 year old daughter

Last edited by kingpin75s; 08-16-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
I will at least share my perspective because I am sure I had a similar conversation with Steve.

He builds bikes with Ti tubes that are appropriate for the rider, like builders do, and will generally challenge a request if he does not see the value. Big head tubes for small guys as an example.

I do not think the idea is that he in any way over engineers or overbuilds his frames. He simply draws the line at straight gauge tubes as butted tubes are suspect to a greater chance of side impact and he simply does not want to have you drop you bike sideways on a boulder and puts a dent in your Potts. Straight gauge allows him to build you a bike tuned for you without carving off extra weight at the expense of durability.

Well put. Although I wasn't a big fan of the Type II transition to 44 HT via ZS headset aesthetic he was adamant (strongly opinionated might be better) about my needing a steel fork (as opposed to then available Ti of CF) and 44 HT. No regrets.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post

Regarding weight. Butted vs. non-butted Ti for a road frame might be around 0.2lbs difference at least based on what I have seen from Ti frames by Seven Cycles as an example.

Dent resistance is one of the reasons I went straight gauge as well. Bikes get really roughed up in the the broomwagon.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 PM

Potts is one of the nicest people I've ever met! I'd also look at Caletti, I love those adventure road bikes.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:38 PM

People get sold on double butted tubes (Pricey upcharge), but never informed of how thin the walls are and easily they will dent. If you're looking for a lightweight bike to begin with, going with a metal bike shouldn't be your first option. That wasn't directed to the OP, just in general. It's like car guys buying really heavy cars to make them fast and removing everything inside to make them lighter. It's almost counterproductive. Just start with a lighter canvas in the beginning.

When I ride Tam, I see a guy with a hardtail Potts and everyone stops and stares at that MTB. There's an understated beauty in simplicity. That would explain Steve Potts bikes.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Carl Strong will build both straight gauge and double butted. His feelings on the matter regarding durability may be reflected in his warranty:
- Straight: lifetime
- Double: 5 year
Old 08-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
People get sold on double butted tubes (Pricey upcharge), but never informed of how thin the walls are and easily they will dent. If you're looking for a lightweight bike to begin with, going with a metal bike shouldn't be your first option. That wasn't directed to the OP, just in general. It's like car guys buying really heavy cars to make them fast and removing everything inside to make them lighter. It's almost counterproductive. Just start with a lighter canvas in the beginning.

When I ride Tam, I see a guy with a hardtail Potts and everyone stops and stares at that MTB. There's an understated beauty in simplicity. That would explain Steve Potts bikes.

The understated simplicity of his logo is appreciated too..
Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

And, of course, if you're in the 59-61cm size range, you can just hang out here and wait for Clean39T to cycle through the field of Ti frames.

He makes a good point...
Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM

I'm a 54cm in case anyone decides this thread makes them want to sell their Potts
Old 08-17-2017, 05:28 PM

This thread is making me p!$$ed I didn't buy the Potts that popped up for sale on Aspen CO craigslist a few weeks ago..
Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Fit

Unless you are getting a ti bike from someone like Tom Kellogg (and go to see him)- I would say that you should know the exact geo or at least the exact contact points that you want to end up with.

Not all frame builders are bike fitters- Even terrific frame builders.