Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 11:55 AM

SRAM Etap Hydro 1x

Has anybody seen a setup using SRAM Etap hydraulic and some type of wolf tooth or other adaptation to run a 10-42 cassette 1x ?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM

I've got a buddy doing it though I'm pretty sure he's 11-36. SRAM xsync 42 or 44 up front.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 PM

Only 1 person knows of someone doing this? I would have thought this would be more popular with the surge in gravel bikes and 1x drivetrains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Only 1 person knows of someone doing this? I would have thought this would be more popular with the surge in gravel bikes and 1x drivetrains.

If anything I would say eTap might push those with a gravel bike to stay with a double. It doesn't require any extra cables to be run and you can always use the road chainring or subcompact chainrings to get a wider gear range. That being said I love my 1x and not sure if it's cheaper to source individual eTap parts or if eTap levers come with brake lever only for the left side only? My guess is most kits are drivetrain upgrades, shifters, FD, and RD.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
If anything I would say eTap might push those with a gravel bike to stay with a double. It doesn't require any extra cables to be run and you can always use the road chainring or subcompact chainrings to get a wider gear range. That being said I love my 1x and not sure if it's cheaper to source individual eTap parts or if eTap levers come with brake lever only for the left side only? My guess is most kits are drivetrain upgrades, shifters, FD, and RD.
Ummm, guess you have never shifted with an ETap group. You need the left shifter to go up the cassette and the right one to go down the cassette. Tap both sides at the same time and the front derailleur shifts. Works well, very intuitive.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:

I have etap on my gravel bike and it would definitely be a step down to reduce this great groupo to a 1x, so I'm not surprised it's not a very popular setup.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Ummm, guess you have never shifted with an ETap group. You need the left shifter to go up the cassette and the right one to go down the cassette. Tap both sides at the same time and the front derailleur shifts. Works well, very intuitive.
doh!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Since ya gotta have a LH shifter on there anyway, why not add a front der and inner CR? And not have to contend with YUGE gaps in cogset or not high enough or low enough, gearing?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Pretty sure 10-42 wouldn't work with the existing eTap RD and a standard Woolf Tooth product.

I'm not riding eTap, but did set up red wifli 2x10-42 for a very specific road ride (extended 24+% sections) and even with the wifli cage, RoadLink, and b-screw swap it was a close fit for the 42. eTap short cage RD would need to be retrofit with mid or long cage. Theoretically should work to allow use of eTap RD, but....

As previously noted, need both eTap levers.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Pretty sure 10-42 wouldn't work with the existing eTap RD and a standard Woolf Tooth product.

I'm not riding eTap, but did set up red wifli 2x10-42 for a very specific road ride (extended 24+% sections) and even with the wifli cage, RoadLink, and b-screw swap it was a close fit for the 42. eTap short cage RD would need to be retrofit with mid or long cage. Theoretically should work to allow use of eTap RD, but....

As previously noted, need both eTap levers.
Or you could just use an XX1 derailleur.

It works. Well.

Sidenote: eTap rear mech, aside from the obvious gearing limitations, lacks a clutch. Makes it kind of "meh" for gravel 1x atmo.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Sidenote: eTap rear mech, aside from the obvious gearing limitations, lacks a clutch. Makes it kind of "meh" for gravel 1x atmo.
Exactly.
While no SRAM wireless 1x clutch derailleur exists, I will tolerate a single shifter cable. It helps that the Force1/CX1 rear mech works incredibly well.

Is the XX1 derailleur functionally any different than a long cage Force 1 derailleur?

Instagram
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Or you could just use an XX1 derailleur.

It works. Well.

FWIW SRAM product management told me XX1 would not pull properly with red levers. Suggested CX1 RD. I still question that (XX1) but it was a one time only mod for me. Or will be a 1x/year thing if repeat the ride. Bought an 1190 11-32 cassette before deciding to go XD route so have a cassette I'll never use. May swap for an XD compatible RD and keep it in parts box.

My guess is there will eventually be an electronic option for 10-42.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
FWIW SRAM product management told me XX1 would not pull properly with red levers. Suggested CX1 RD. I still question that (XX1) but it was a one time only mod for me.
I wonder why they said that. I would have thought it was the clutch, but the CX1 is a clutch RD. FWIW, I use 11s Red levers to shift an XX RD (10s non clutch) over an 11-32 11s cassette. Works perfectly. My experience has been that Exact Actuation is Exact Actuation is Exact Actuation, though I have not used a clutch RD.

Quote:
Bought an 1190 11-32 cassette before deciding to go XD route so have a cassette I'll never use.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=209383
Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 AM

I think I'd go nuts using 1x on a gravel/road bike.

The cog jumps are already pretty annoying IMO once you get to a 12-30 or 12-32 cassette.

Yes Compact chainrings are annoying but at least they let you keep your cog spacing a little tighter in the back.

I get 1x for a MTB but IMO gravel bikes still need some tight spacing for going fast on easy pavement/dirt areas where you need to put a lot of power down for a long time and you have to deal with winds... all cases where having the cogs spread way out can seem annoying.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 AM

^ This is where I came down on the subject. I lowered my gearing at the crankset and with a 14t difference in chainrings and retained the reasonable gear jumps of 11-28 or 11-32 cassettes.