Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 PM

sore sit bone --> muscle mass (loss of) due to injury/aging/etc

so i fractured my pelvis in 2015. in the 2 seasons since i've had a recurrent sore sit-bone in the exact spot where my fracture occurred. just the one side (left), the other is fine.

i figure the (healed) bone/muscle/etc tissue in the injury area is less "tough" and perhaps is complicated by loss of muscle/padding (if i poke a finger into that area of meat, it's slightly less meaty that the same area on the other side) plus i'm about to turn 50 and i'm finding its harder to maintain muscle mass in general.

i figure i'll really hit the squats and lunges this offseason to put more meat back there. wondering if anyone else has experienced sit bone discomfort issues related to dimished padding on one's backside due to whatever and how you addressed it.

Last edited by wallymann; 08-16-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 PM

According to my Orthopedic guy....(who is an avid cyclist), losing "padding" over your sit bones is part of the aging process. Happens to all of us eventually. You can tell by all the saddle problems that pop up on here by aging riders. When young, we could ride/sit on anything. You may have a leg that is riding/functioning shorter, even if it doesn't measure shorter. I do better on proper width saddles with some padding, and shorts with thick padding.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-16-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Sore Sit bones

So 50 is not old, not by a long shot, that is unless you are willing to accept that 50 is old. I am 10 years older and while I have my aches and pains I think I feel as good as I did at 40.

I understand the injury and I think anything you do to build strength in the lower body will only help your cycling. But I also think that you should get a professional bike fit. I finally had my first about 4 years ago and I have had a second one about a year ago, I have had good results and actually have thought about getting a "medical fit".

I would suggest that there are things that can be done with a fit that will help, including getting the right size saddle for your sit bones.

I would advise against a "padded saddle" or thickly padded shorts. I find that shorts with a dense pad, not thick, work the best. I also find a saddle that is the right width for your sit bones will make a difference. You can have your cleats shimmed to help with a difference in leg length. You could do all of this by trial and error or spend a few hours with a good fitter.

You are "young" by a lot of standards, do not allow yourself to think you are getting old or you really will be.

Best

Ray
Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 AM

sore sit bone --&gt; muscle mass (loss of) due to injury/aging/etc

I'm having a very similar problem. It may sound a bit daft but since becoming a vegetarian just over 1 year ago and stopping pretty much all gym work, I've lost close on 7 kilos (and I'm fairly sure that's muscle not fat). Ever since, the saddles I've always used have been causing problems - like you I've put it down to a loss of muscle mass
Old 08-17-2017, 08:39 AM

I don't think much about it but didn't realize there was a whole lot of "padding" over sit bones to begin with-at least where my sit bones hit the saddle.

Hip rotation forward?

Also, is it possible that the healed hip bone has built up extra material.

Squats and lunges are a great idea. Study how to do them properly so that you don't injure yourself.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
According to my Orthopedic guy....(who is an avid cyclist), losing "padding" over your sit bones is part of the aging process. Happens to all of us eventually. You can tell by all the saddle problems that pop up on here by aging riders. When young, we could ride/sit on anything. You may have a leg that is riding/functioning shorter, even if it doesn't measure shorter. I do better on proper width saddles with some padding, and shorts with thick padding.
The past few months I've been having issues on sore sit bones and getting comfortable on my saddles. Has been bugging me since these are the same saddles I have been riding since I started riding (selle italia flites and slrs). I've been experimenting with different saddles now and still haven't found anything that works.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM

I'm 72 and have experienced many of the symptoms mentioned above. I finally had to give up my beloved Giraldi Regal that has served me well for over 30 years. I found the Selle Anatomica with the cut out works great for me as if flexes along with my hips as I ride. It moves with you and offers support but it is not rigid with padding like most. Also raising the bars really helps for comfort as you are not as stretched out and forcing rear end down at an angle to the saddle but you lose a bit of aero.

Last edited by bobswire; 08-17-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Leather saddles

I am a big proponent of leather saddles. I use the Berthoud narrow saddles but they all work well except those with very thick unflexible leather. Berthoud has a selection of narrow and wide saddles. I use a narrow saddle even though I mostly sit more upright on the brake hoods. When I am in the drops the saddle works well.

Alan
Old 08-17-2017, 03:16 PM

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...uteal-bursitis

Icing, lots of icing. Stretching and resting. Oh, did I say icing?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

In addition, I'd check your shorts to make sure the chamois hasn't worn out
Old 08-17-2017, 08:46 PM

certainly, 50 is not old. but 50 is not 40. and 50 is not 30. and 50 is not 20. i'm just adapting to what reality holds in store, so i can keep fighting the good fight!

thanks to everyone for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
So 50 is not old, not by a long shot, that is unless you are willing to accept that 50 is old. I am 10 years older and while I have my aches and pains I think I feel as good as I did at 40...
might be onto something here. i just started taking a strong NSAID for an injured MCL (recent issue) which may help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...uteal-bursitis

Icing, lots of icing. Stretching and resting. Oh, did I say icing?

Last edited by wallymann; 08-17-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I am a big proponent of leather saddles. I use the Berthoud narrow saddles but they all work well except those with very thick unflexible leather. Berthoud has a selection of narrow and wide saddles. I use a narrow saddle even though I mostly sit more upright on the brake hoods. When I am in the drops the saddle works well.

Alan
+1 Berthoud saddles have allowed me to enjoy riding very much. I have a galibier and soulor and they are hands down the most comfortable saddles I've ever used. I had 3 surgeries over a couple of years and severe atrophy of my right foot all the way to my hip. The Berthouds have made my riding experiences much more comfortable.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:25 PM

update

after taking prescrip NSAID the issue seemed to improve, but that was fleeting.

the other day i was "checking out" the troubled area, assumed a squatting position whilst wearing my bibs, and started poking around...it's pretty obvious that there's a "meat discrepancy" in my saddle-contact areas, from left to right. as in right side is meaty, the left (where i had my pelvis fracture) is much-much less meaty.

looks like i'll be doing some remedial weight-work (lunges, etc) to even things up.

Last edited by wallymann; 09-07-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Op, lower the saddle like 5 mm...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Classics Fan

Ok, so this may not really be helpful. But I'll throw it out there.

I've been dealing with an asymmetry that I really began to notice 2 or 3 years ago, and has continued to plague me. I've sort of narrowed the underlying cause down to a weak left glute, poor hamstring flexibility on my left side, and and the resulting compensatory motion patterns cause me to slump on the left side, causing my left hip flexors and other anterior and posterior muscles to become shortened.

On the bike it is not uncommon to feel that my two sit bones feel different on the saddle. This is to say that (if you haven't already) you should consider that it is note purely a muscle thickness thing (as I'm sure many people have different muscle thicknesses), and may be related to broader hip function and ROM.

Just an idea to think about.