Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

What a lousy situation to be in. I am sorry this happened to you.

I almost feel that these threads should require that the name of the builder be stated in the OP.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
as someone who has been too close to addictions too many times, i can tell you that you do him no service by not holding him responsible. Addicts need people to hold them accountable, that is part of the path towards recovery.
+1
Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Paceline search is your friend:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...1&postcount=48

Will guess that it's Billy Maynard (Coarse Fabrication) Brooklyn, New York - http://coarsefabrication.com/

OP sorry you got screwed but several years ago i was in the EXACT position as you except multiple # of bikes for local teams (the deal was to arrange discounts for all CRCA teams), with Mickey from Spooky, and he screwed the pooch so bad it's not worth revisiting. Only a couple teams ended up getting bikes and it was still a disaster. Bikes poorly made, delivery timelines botched, etc. Most of those guys don't have a pot to piss in, let alone being able to order materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
What a lousy situation to be in. I am sorry this happened to you.

I almost feel that these threads should require that the name of the builder be stated in the OP.

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-19-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 PM
aka RAEKWON

I don't think he was trying to screw you guys either. I am sure he is not a bad guy but drug addition sucks, makes people irrational.

as far as revealing the name of the builder. No one is going to get a bike built by this dude, the website for the company is dead and I doubt the dude is doing any business from rehab. Also the name is there so with a little detective work you could find it. I think till things get resolved ANAO is smart to leave the name out. This is not just about a bike now, its about someone who has an addiction problem so maybe not that nice to blast dudes life on the web (yes he screwed up but lets be a bit human here, its just a bike at the end of the day)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Paceline search is your friend:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...1&postcount=48

Will guess that it's Billy Maynard (Coarse Fabrication) Brooklyn, New York - http://coarsefabrication.com/

OP sorry you got screwed but i was in the EXACT position as you except in multiple # of bikes for local teams (we were arranging discounts for all CRCA teams), with Mickey from Spooky, and he screwed the pooch so bad it's not worth revisiting. Only a couple teams ended up getting bikes and it was still a disaster. Bikes poorly made, delivery timelines botched, etc. Most of those guys don't have a pot to piss in, let alone being able to order materials.
I really don't think it should be up to you do disclose that information but you do you
Old 09-19-2017, 04:44 PM

What is this, omerta? We're adults. This is a forum about bikes, and a story of how a customer got screwed. There's millions upon millions of reviews on products as mundane as toothpaste on Amazon. What's so special about bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I really don't think it should be up to you do disclose that information but you do you
Old 09-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Category VI

Quote:

OP sorry you got screwed but several years ago i was in the EXACT position as you except multiple # of bikes for local teams (the deal was to arrange discounts for all CRCA teams), with Mickey from Spooky, and he screwed the pooch so bad it's not worth revisiting. Only a couple teams ended up getting bikes and it was still a disaster. Bikes poorly made, delivery timelines botched, etc. Most of those guys don't have a pot to piss in, let alone being able to order materials.
Adler...rode a smart race?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Bingo. One of the few teams that got bikes that weren't totally jacked.

NYVelocity got a few as well. I saw really botched building, like bottle bosses placed in stupid locations. Some said they rode like crap (bad alignment).

The CAAD NYVelocity bikes were really nice, however. As they should be.

Mickey could have killed it with great bikes and great paint supplied to CRCA teams, at a fair price. But, instead it was sad excuse after excuse after excuse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
Adler...rode a smart race?

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-19-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Bingo. One of the few teams that got bikes that weren't totally jacked.
I still see Ken hammering up and down 9w from time to time on what looks to be 3 sizes too small. Or is that his serotta?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Ken was a monster! So fast. I wonder if he still holds the masters hour record?

I can recall a few very painful rides following in his draft (or rather, struggling to stay in it) along 9W, many moons ago.

Quote:
I still see Ken hammering up and down 9w from time to time on what looks to be 3 sizes too small. Or is that his serotta?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Ken was a monster! So fast. I wonder if he still holds the masters hour record?

I can recall a few very painful rides following in his draft (or rather, struggling to stay in it) along 9W, many moons ago.
He coached the development team for a little while (does he still?) and the current 1's that came out are rockstars. Moseley went from a t to elite road race state champ in under 3 years. Morkal-Williams is a beast. Hoping we can tap into Petti's talent and convince him to come over to the dark side this winter but he's leaning towards Foundation. Some seriously fast kids under his tutelage. He's still an animal.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:18 PM

So, how much money did you save by choosing this builder over a more established builder? Meaning: what were you getting charged for a frame and fork? Also, what kind of lead time were you looking at originally?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
So, how much money did you save by choosing this builder over a more established builder? Meaning: what were you getting charged for a frame and fork? Also, what kind of lead time were you looking at originally?
His price was $1,600 for a tig-welded single-color ppwdercoated frame.

For 4 frames, all done in the same color with true temper ox platinum tig-welded, he offered them to us for $1,200.

I sent him a columbus Grammy fork.
Because I was the ring leader and put this together, he ordered me S3 and wet painted ghost decals on the downtube were to be the finishing touches.

BUT I wasn't under the impression he was obscure or poorly-known. I had spoken with a prominent racer who had just commissioned two frames from him and Billy did really stellar work with Horse manning the paintbrush (can?) but my mileage. Well, it obviously varied.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. He has 2 frames completely paid for, + 3 deposits.

A few forks and one complete gruppo, wheels included.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm guessing the chance of getting any money back, or any completed frames, is near nil. I hate to say this but I think you'll have to walk away from the money.

With any luck he still has your parts. He may have sold them to feed the beast or they may be sitting forgotten in a corner. I'd concentrate on limiting your loss and trying to get your parts back.

I hate reading stories like this.....it's a lose-lose deal if ever there was one. The client loses and all the good, honest and professional builders out there suffer after being tarred with the same brush as the guy who takes the money and runs. A number of years ago I had a guy ask for his deposit back because he "learned that all of us framebuilders are crooks" and he wanted out. It sucks for everyone.

A few words of advice for you going forward or for others that want to do biz with a framebuilder. Talk to them and really listen to what they say and not what you want to hear. Are they promising things that are too good to be true? Do they want payment in full up front? Do they need all your parts before they will start the build? Do they only talk to you when they want money? If the answer to any of the above is "yes" then walk away and do biz with a real pro. No real pro will ask for any of this stuff. When was the last time you heard anything like this about Crumpton, or Strong, or Ellis or etc....? Do any of these guys ask for money and disappear? Nope.

This could be easily misconstrued as blaming the victim and I don't mean to imply that. I'm just saying that if it seems too good to be true and the builder wants money up front to say thanks but no thanks and find a pro.

Again - I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating situation.

dave
Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Vendor

Quote:
I don't know what this is, or if it exists.

The bike messenger world is super close. If you happen to have one stop by, ask them, they'd know for sure what's up and how to reach Maynard.

Also, another thing, reach out to Affinity, King Kog or a couple other shops in Brooklyn. They'll know what's up or how to reach Billy.