Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesau View Post

As far as I know, the Golf R is only offered with summer tires. (So if you're in northern climes, you'll be looking at replacing the tires or getting a set of mounted winter shoes).

Good luck.
I run Blizzaks with my GTI and won't consider running it in the snow on the standard tires. Anyone who gets this car or the Golf R, even with AWD, needs winter tires if they plan any significant winter driving.

It's a completely different, and better, car in the winter with the Blizzaks. I put them on when the weather forecast calls for the first snow and take them off in March or so, depending upon conditions.

Regarding the Golf R comments, I'll have to have a look. I was unimpressed with my buddy's Golf R, but that was the previous generation. It's possible they're really separated the GTI and the Golf R, which I previously considered to be just a warmed over GTI.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
Texbike: This is car N+1, so something entertaining that also allows race-bike transport.
OK, cool. Good to know. However, since you have the VW and the ES300 at your disposal, do you really need bike carrying capability with the N+1? If not, how about something older and interesting that's hit the bottom of its depreciation curve and possibly on the way back up ? ZR-1 or Z06 'Vette, S2000, Turbo Miata, Lotus Elise, Air-cooled 911, e46 M3, e39 M5, or ?

GTIs and Golf Rs rock! My brother has a 6MT 2015 R and it's a surprisingly nice, fast car. However, if I was going to do a N+1, I'd probably look for something a bit older and unique. Look on Bringatrailer for ideas...

Good luck in your search and I look forward to hearing more suggestions. Car discussions are fun!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 09-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 AM

What about a camper van?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Glory bound

In architecture school, we were exposed to the Roman writer Vitruvius' triad of what makes architecture: commodity, firmness, delight. In other words, fulfill a need, do so effectively, and bring some joy to the world while you're at it.
The two remaining cars will cover those first two; both do their jobs without raising anyone's heart rate. The SAAB has certainly been raising my heart rate of late, but usually not in a good way. That's the main reason I'm taking other "older and interesting" cars off the table. (For now, anyway. After the lease expires, who knows, maybe I'll be posting to ask about Boxsters...)

Other posters are preaching to the choir when it comes to snow tires. The Viggen came with 40-series Pirellis; I took delivery on New Years Eve, and was back at a SAAB dealer within two weeks buying tri-spokes with snow tires mounted. Frankly, I'd rather have FWD and Blizzaks than AWD and "all-season" tires. That would be how I'd go with the GTI (if I go that direction); Golf R gets the full Cleveland treatment: AWD & snows.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
I'd rather have FWD and Blizzaks than AWD and "all-season" tires.
Even RWD with Blizzaks is better than AWD with all-season.

I haven't leased but believe the rates on Giulias is attractive, provided you could get a good color.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
OK, cool. Good to know. However, since you have the VW and the ES300 at your disposal, do you really need bike carrying capability with the N+1? If not, how about something older and interesting that's hit the bottom of its depreciation curve and possibly on the way back up ? ZR-1 or Z06 'Vette, S2000, Turbo Miata, Lotus Elise, Air-cooled 911, e46 M3, e39 M5, or ?

GTIs and Golf Rs rock! My brother has a 6MT 2015 R and it's a surprisingly nice, fast car. However, if I was going to do a N+1, I'd probably look for something a bit older and unique. Look on Bringatrailer for ideas...

Good luck in your search and I look forward to hearing more suggestions. Car discussions are fun!

Texbike

I did just that and so far I'm pretty stoked. But i have wanted one of these for as long as i have had a drivers license.

Don't need a car and will barely drive it but it sure puts a smile on my face With a bit of luck could be an okay investment.
(btw, can't really put air-cooled 911 in "the bottom of its depreciation curve" bracket can ya )

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 09-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'd like to add that i dont consider 110k miles "high" for a modern automobile...

if you like the car and it's comfortable, why not just pay someone to go through it thoroughly and get it to top condition and drive it for another 100k miles?

that cost will dwarf the cost of getting a new car...
I am more and more coming to same conclusion. I garage all my vehicles, and use nice rubber mats over the carpets....so my vehicles always look almost new even when high mileage. Not much you can't fix on a older car for just the sales tax cost of a new car.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I run Blizzaks with my GTI and won't consider running it in the snow on the standard tires. Anyone who gets this car or the Golf R, even with AWD, needs winter tires if they plan any significant winter driving.

It's a completely different, and better, car in the winter with the Blizzaks. I put them on when the weather forecast calls for the first snow and take them off in March or so, depending upon conditions.

Regarding the Golf R comments, I'll have to have a look. I was unimpressed with my buddy's Golf R, but that was the previous generation. It's possible they're really separated the GTI and the Golf R, which I previously considered to be just a warmed over GTI.
I also run snows on winter wheels, on the JSW and now the GTI. They're really a must around here. All seasons just get clogged with slushy junk too easily.

The Mk7 Golf R is a warmed over AWD Autobahn GTI. Faster, but heavier. Both are quite refined vehicles.

I drove a Mk7 GTI recently. Getting back into my Mk5 was like hopping into a go-cart. It's a completely different feel. Smaller, lighter, more edgy. Definitely not refined.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I did just that and so far I'm pretty stoked. But i have wanted one of these for as long as i have had a drivers license.

Don't need a car and will barely drive it but it sure puts a smile on my face With a bit of luck could be an okay investment.
(btw, can't really put air-cooled 911 in "the bottom of its depreciation curve" bracket can ya )

Nice Shamal! Bet that's a blast! Yeah, the AC 911s have already seen their day from a depreciation perspective - unless you happen to pay too much for one now and get bit by a market drop.

Texbike
Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Nice Shamal! Bet that's a blast! Yeah, the AC 911s have already seen their day from a depreciation perspective - unless you happen to pay too much for one now and get bit by a market drop.

Texbike
Cheers, yeah it is alot of fun. Its surprisingly difficult to drive, which is part of what makes it fun i guess .) One needs to get used to it as it will punish you if it gets the chance.

This is the Ghibli. The shamal looks a bit more aggressive but very similar. I think the shamal is over the top tho + those are allrdy quite expensive. This is a bit more understated visually.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
The Mk7 Golf R is a warmed over AWD Autobahn GTI. Faster, but heavier. Both are quite refined vehicles.
+80HP (and easily supports +120hp) is a bit more than warmed over in my opinion, but the does Autobhan feel very similar inside to the R and has most of the nice gizmos. The rub is that a loaded Autobhan (similarly equipped to the base R) is only 4k less than the R. IMO you get a lot of extra performance for that money.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Weisan you are a riot I think your latest acquisition is the same color as my gmc z71, GM musta got a good deal on that paint, LOL.