Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Look used to make super nice shoes, too bad they took them off the line up.

More here: http://www.hanon-shop.com/the-blog/l...portif-x-look/
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 AM

I had a Look KG86 frame fail at the bonded BB lug. (One way to tell: If you stand on the pedals and bounce up and down a bit, the front derailleur will move.) Your bond doesn't appear to have fully separated, but it may just be a matter of time. I wouldn't take my chances.

Speaking of Look shoes:

Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It's threadless and fully carbon - which I think means it's the HSC.

Do you already have the Ergo-post?
That's a pity about the fork - thanks for looking
I do have the seatpost - Bellatisport still has them in stock in both gloss and matt finish. Cheaper than many are trying to sell them on Ebay.
The frame lugs are alloy.
The chain catcher comprises a plastic button with a small screw
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 AM

Following the conversation... I almost bought one of S O'Grady's team bikes, but by then it would have been a 386 and the deal never happened.

There was a Credit Agricole 281 featured in an early edition of Ride Magazine, and Stuey's father Brian rode one through the Adelaide Hills for many years. I saw another ex-Stuey bike being used as a commuter by a guy on Magill Road a few years ago, stopped the car to help a guy with a puncture and did a 'wait a moment... I know that bike'.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
So the paint or whatever wouldn't bother you.
No, not on this one. I would ride it.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Oh those steel looks from back in the day, those are in my bucket list, bad not many around and are super hard to find.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Oh those steel looks from back in the day, those are in my bucket list, bad not many around and are super hard to find.
I had one circa '03 - sold it to a guy because of financial difficulties - then accidentally bought it back after it had been repainted - was kind of funny, I responded to a CL ad for a brown steel bike, and when I was driving over to pick it up, I was like "hey, this looks familiar..." and sure enough, same basement I delivered the Look to 3 years prior. That bike rode really nicely, but was again released in a drive to N=1 back in the mid-00s.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:33 AM

lug paint cracking

I've got a KG381Team I bought from a forumite a year or two ago. Around both of the headtube lugs, there is a hairline crack all the way around where the top tube and downtube enter the lug. It is literally hairline in width and all the way around both lugs, so I believe mine to simply be paint cracking. The frame is pretty flexy after all, so I've gotta think mine is simply the paint behind less flexible than the frame. I've got no creaking or any unusual movement beyond just being a flexible frame, which I like very much, BTW.

I pointed this out to the seller (CaptStash) when I inspected the frame prior to buying it, and he offered that if it were a problem, he'd take the frame back. So kudos to TPL forumites and their up-rightness!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
Following the conversation... I almost bought one of S O'Grady's team bikes, but by then it would have been a 386 and the deal never happened.

There was a Credit Agricole 281 featured in an early edition of Ride Magazine, and Stuey's father Brian rode one through the Adelaide Hills for many years. I saw another ex-Stuey bike being used as a commuter by a guy on Magill Road a few years ago, stopped the car to help a guy with a puncture and did a 'wait a moment... I know that bike'.
Stuart's been very helpful with this project - although he is definitely a give me a bike and I will ride it kind of guy and doesn't sweat the bike details as much as some. This one will appear at the 20th anniversary Legends dinner for Tour Downunder 2018 - Stuey won the inaugural edition on it. But I digress..