Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 PM

Headphone encounters

Most recent was today.
I was crossing a bridge with a somewhat narrow path (H st) shared with both pedestrians and cyclists. There was a lady power walking (think American Ninja Warriors) with headphones on. From 30' back I was ringing my bell and as I slowly road behind her was saying "on your left" It looked like she heard me and moved over to the left. I waited and passed between the structures of the bridge. When my front tire passed her she screamed and threw out a spinning back fist, one I think would impress Williams. I was just able to catch it before it hit my face. I was telling her that I was ringing my bell and trying to get her attention while she was bent over, resting her hands on her knees.
After a few seconds she straitened up and was laughing hysterically.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:39 PM

Now I see why that guy wanted to carry a gun to protect himself on the MUPs of Sacarmento....

Personally I find these posts lame. Is there any value here. Shall we talk about the rights of bikes on MUP. Or how cyclist are victims. Or how power walkers are entitled SOBs. Please ....
Old 09-16-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Now I see why that guy wanted to carry a gun to protect himself on the MUPs of Sacarmento....

Personally I find these posts lame. Is there any value here. Shall we talk about the rights of bikes on MUP. Or how cyclist are victims. Or how power walkers are entitled SOBs. Please ....
Man, you read a lot into this.
Personally I've had no problems outside of a couple loose dogs belonging to homeless camping along the river.

I've startled folks on headphones before however nothing like this. Simply wanted to share an unusual experience, the women was gifted with a fast powerful reflex and a great since of humor. I rode away smiling.

Last edited by Tony; 09-16-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post

Lame enough to respond, of course.

I find "on your left" often makes walkers move left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 06:40 AM

Multi Path Goodness

I don't do multi paths anymore, it's been ten years or more since I've been on one.

We have a nice gravel path about seven miles long around a lake that I use to ride my MTB on. On that trail there are runners, walkers, children and even horses!

Mistakes happen, humans can behave good and bad so the "safe pace" around there for me was too slow to be worth the trip.

Your encounter turned out well, I have seen some where they didn't, not worth it for me. Luckily I prefer the road and have great routes to ride right at home.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM

Funny story, OP.

I know what you mean about headphone wearers, I try to let them know I'm coming, and I pass slowly, but I still get people jumping sometimes. Personally I'd wanna be more aware of my surroundings when out walking alone. But then again if you're at good spinning backfists, I guess there's no need to worry.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
I don't do multi paths anymore, it's been ten years or more since I've been on one.

We have a nice gravel path about seven miles long around a lake that I use to ride my MTB on. On that trail there are runners, walkers, children and even horses!

Mistakes happen, humans can behave good and bad so the "safe pace" around there for me was too slow to be worth the trip.

Your encounter turned out well, I have seen some where they didn't, not worth it for me. Luckily I prefer the road and have great routes to ride right at home.
This path/sidewalk is the only way to cross safely, so I thought This is one bridge in Sacto you don't want to be on the road with cars as it's narrow and cars are flying over. BTW, I wasn't really on any MUP, traveling on Fair Oaks Blvd heading towards Old Sac.

Last edited by Tony; 09-16-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
Lame enough to respond, of course.

I find "on your left" often makes walkers move left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I yell, 'pick a side', after slowing...the 'on your left' confuses too many.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Exactly.

I holler "Heads up!" which usually gets their attention, makes them look, and lets THEM choose where to move.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I too stopped saying "On your left"...people usually move left. But, "Pick a side", that's great! I'm going to start using that. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Love your Williams reference! I wish Hahn wouldn't have killed him so soon.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM

To me, the point of this is that often enough, if you are wearing earbuds/headphones/whatever...you are unable to be as aware of your surroundings as you should be.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM

if I yell "on your left" and they move left, I'll then follow up with something like "or on your right, I guess!"

headphones are usually a signal to me to not even bother announcing myself and instead just approach with caution. I have announced myself to headphone wearers before (runners as well as cyclists) and then been scolded by them when I passed for allegedly NOT announcing myself. then they get an earful to turn their friggin' 'phones down so that they can hear such announcements.

it's wild out there, I tell ya. but at least flying punches are easier to defend against than speeding steel death machines, piloted by people staring at their phones.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Love your Williams reference! I wish Hahn wouldn't have killed him so soon.
It was a back fist by Han in the beginning that cleared his desk and prompted the remark by Williams " been practicing huh", and the back fist that was his undoing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJfW7-isPA
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Classics Fan

Yeah, I personally feel like if you're wearing headphones, you have given up your right to be surprised by a passing bike.

Too many people in their own little world, with no situational awareness.

Tony, glad you were able to avoid injury. She was lucky, frankly, that you weren't someone who meant to do her harm.