Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 04:41 PM

We just move across the country using U-Pack as well. I got a bunch of bike boxes from the LBS, and packed the bikes in boxes without their front wheels, extra padding on the tubes, fork ends etc. I put front wheels in a separate box. No scratches or dings when we unpacked.

Pack the trailer tight, I can't emphasize that enough. Keep everything organized and stack vertically. I left just enough room on top to place the bike boxes like books, packed pictures and the TV up there as well, cleat to the roof. Use moving blankets to keep everything tight. They price the trailer to you in linear feet but you are actually buying cubic feet.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:32 PM

Just helped pack my brothers belongings in a U-pack for a California to Maine move. Tied his mountain bike against the inside wall and padded it to his liking. It made it but got bumped around a bit during 3,000+ miles of truck travel.
I just bike flighted my bike out and back with zero issues. If it were my bike(s) I'd either bike flight it or box it and load it. I wouldn't ship it fully assembled and covered with blankets. Just my .02.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 AM

Update:
Thanks for the advice everyone! We've been in MN for 3 weeks now and are really liking it! (It hasn't gotten cold yet though. Haha!)

Anyway, the bikes were all boxed up and made it on the UPack just fine! I am really thankful for the boxing suggestions as we had a lot of the rubbing and chafing of our other stuff. We had a bookshelf (cheapo from Target) completely collapse on us. Lol!

There is a bunch of bike trails here that are great for family rides! As you can see my son loves hills! Lolol!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 AM
ZhugeLiang

Allan pal, happy relocation, hope you and your family enjoy your new home and everything goes well your wife's residency.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Allan pal, happy relocation, hope you and your family enjoy your new home and everything goes well your wife's residency.
Thanks!

I'll be building frames in the garage here too! Hoping that the garage doesn't get too cold but it's not insulated soooooo.....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk