Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 AM

Anyone who thinks this event is a bunch of nerd re-enactment BS should check this video out (not mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLO1EwKxP68#

Go try 208km/13,000ft of that on any bike you want. It is a real test........made significantly more difficult by using an old bike.

Damn near killed me.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
With all due respect, this attitude on forums drives me insane. Just because you were doing something longer than someone else, neither makes your opinion more valid or your viewpoint on the subject more or less correct than someone else's. All it does is show a red ass.

Age isn't necessarily a sign of expertise or knowledge, it just means you haven't made any fatal mistakes lately.

By the way, I don't disagree with you at all—just the way that the message is being argued.
I read Pbarry's comment with a little more charity--I thought he was saying that for those of us that actually raced with 5 speed corncobs, friction shifters, leather shoes and toeclips, the Eroica-era bikes do not seem that remote or antique--certainly not 'Civil War' remote--not that he spoke with more authority because he had been riding longer.

It reminds me of what mom used to say--"Anything I can remember using on a daily basis is not an antique!"

Although I was grumbling about the artificiality of the equipment guidelines, I would love to ride the event.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:53 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Although I was grumbling about the artificiality of the equipment guidelines, I would love to ride the event.
Yeah, it's a cool event and I'd certainly enjoy the ride too. Maybe someday.

I don't see the equipment guidelines as artificial at all - I see it as integral of, and sustaining to, the vibe of the whole event and experience. It is emblematic to who and what they are. And I agree with what that might stand for and that they should hang onto that vibe even if it makes no sense and seen as antediluvian or as silly nostalgia to anyone else.

The thought the crossed my mind about opposing camps and criticism of Eroica was the identity and identification with objects that captured not just a point in time but also of a mindset that went with it. And with that came a loyalty, familiarity and comfort. And the historic event that came to mind reflecting that clash was Dylan going electric at the Newport Folk Festival - for some a betrayal in that step from a Martin to a Stratocaster.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM

The last time I checked the rules for L'Eroica, the cutoff date for the bikes was 1984. Now I look and it is 1987?

That made real sense with respect to the requirements of no aero-style brake levers and no clipless pedals (with an "more power to ya" allowance for the original clipless Cinelli M71).

But by 1987 Campagnolo C-Record was a thing and had been for a couple of years. Aero was in. 1987 represents a time when the horse was not only escaped from the barn but up to speed and out the gate into the open fields.

What possessed them to change from 1984 to 1987? Boo.

I am also not a fan of allowing vintage-style modern frames. I am normally in the minority when it comes to this but to me, that's missing the point. I thought the idea was a collector's ride where originality matters. Just as in the vintage car racing world, I believe recreations, continuations, and "tribute" cars are missing the point and should be disallowed.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
I think of Eroica is cycling's version of Comic-con, Renaissance Fair dress-up or civil war reinactment. To the average person, kind of weird/lame. But I think it's kind of cool....
Ha! That's great. Agreed 100%.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Anyone who thinks this event is a bunch of nerd re-enactment BS should check this video out (not mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLO1EwKxP68#

Go try 208km/13,000ft of that on any bike you want. It is a real test........made significantly more difficult by using an old bike.

Damn near killed me.
No one is suggesting the riding and suffering isn't real.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Eroica is Civil War re-enactment.

If you love it, you do you. But don't be shocked when people find it weird and point when you're getting out of the car in the parking lot.
unfortunately, the bikes in my stable that I consider 'vintage' aren't really old enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1441214680576.jpg (82.0 KB, 135 views)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Either get rid of the seemingly useless 1987 statement, adjust it to a year that makes sense, or tweak the other requirements to match the year. Why can I purchase a brand new bianchi that qualifies but I can't use aero brake levers produced before 1987? 7300 had aero levers by 1981.
I like the CR cutoff - 1983. It always seemed a bit arbitrary to me, but I eventually figured out that it coincides pretty well with the end of the non-aero/non-indexed/toe clip era. I think the notion that you can buy and ride an "Eroica-compatible" bike which was produced a few months ago using otherwise modern tech seems a bit silly. That isn't, after all, the point of the exercise. I guess that's the cost of taking on Bianchi as a big sponsor.

Eroica is what it is (or was what it was, at least). Like most hip things -- think Burning Man, SxSW, riding fixies, etc -- it was done in somewhat by its own popularity and the rush of companies looking to capitalize on its cool factor. I still think Eroica is cool and is likely to remain that way, mostly I think because it will always be populated (for the most part) by old bike geeks riding old bikes (most folks riding new iron -- err... carbon -- aren't going to spring for a $5k bike just to use it once or twice a year), but it's not as cool as it used to be when there was just one Eroica in Gaiole. OTOH, SxSW and Burning Man require little more than a plane ticket to attend. Riding fixies? Hey, I ride one. It can't possibly be cool anymore.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 AM

It's funny...I used a Ercoia style bike...my old super record equipped Bianchi until 2003.
It really didn't feel.like an antique.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:15 AM

not every blog post makes it over the bar.

Facebook

smoked out
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
No one is suggesting the riding and suffering isn't real.
Right.

Real enough to deserve respect.

Look, the event offers plenty for everybody.

If you are old, fat, out of shape, and just want to dress up and enjoy the day, your pretty old bike, and relive your past as best you can, they offer that.

If you are full of yourself and looking to prove something to yourself or others, well they offer a course that would challenge any pro. Ride it as fast as you are able and see how you do.....plenty of people do.

The stated goals of the ride, as I understand them, are to challenge yourself and gain some appreciation for what riders before you experienced. If you don't care about the latter, fine, but why turn it into a reason to ridicule the whole event.

No reason to hate. Move on.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Right.

If you are old, fat, out of shape, and just want to dress up and enjoy the day, your pretty old bike, and relive your past as best you can, they offer that.

If you are full of yourself and looking to prove something to yourself or others, well they offer a course that would challenge any pro. Ride it as fast as you are able and see how you do.....plenty of people do.

The stated goals of the ride, as I understand them, are to challenge yourself and gain some appreciation for what riders before you experienced. If you don't care about the latter, fine, but why turn it into a reason to ridicule the whole event.

I haven't seen any post on this forum suggesting hate. At worst, what you've seen is folks saying that dressing up like actors while they ride isn't they're cup of tea. I personally like it, and would try it if I had the bike for it. But it's cycling cos-play. Tough, exhausting, cycling cos-play.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Right.

Why the hate for those who take on a challenge with pride or as you say are full of themselves.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen any post on this forum suggesting hate. At worst, what you've seen is folks saying that dressing up like actors while they ride isn't they're cup of tea. I personally like it, and would try it if I had the bike for it. But it's cycling cos-play. Tough, exhausting, cycling cos-play.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen any post on this forum suggesting hate. At worst, what you've seen is folks saying that dressing up like actors while they ride isn't they're cup of tea. I personally like it, and would try it if I had the bike for it. But it's cycling cos-play.
So is dressing up in your favorite current team's jersey.