Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Velox may be old school however it does a much better job then the new fangled thin tapes of reducing heat build up from heavy downhill braking reaching and damaging tubes. If you ride the plains not an issue, us alpine inhabitants it is a concern.
There is the fact that the new wide rims (25mm+) like the HED plus is tubeless compatible so it is recommended to get a thin tubeless compatible tape. This is because it will too tight to mount a tire if you use a thicker tape like Velox. You need every little bit in order to be able to still mount a tire by hand.

But you do make a good point.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Velox may be old school however it does a much better job then the new fangled thin tapes of reducing heat build up from heavy downhill braking reaching and damaging tubes. If you ride the plains not an issue, us alpine inhabitants it is a concern.
Not sure if you're joking....
Old 09-18-2017, 02:13 AM

Not joking!

Don't know if you ever read the inserts that come with your tires, this is a picture taken of a red bordered warning insert included with a set of Continental Attack and Force, GP 4000S II...... clincher tires. They talk about rim strips a bit more however basically repeating what is stated here, use proper rim strips, not tape and don't use light tubes if you ride mountains and hills unless you want trouble.

Again, a proper rim strip will help protect the tube from exposure to excessive heat.

Sorry my camera would never take a picture clear enough for you to read it if I tried to capture the entire sheet. The printing is to small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4186.JPG (100.1 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-18-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM

gorilla tape.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
Not sure if you're joking....
I've had Veloplugs melt under heat (or at least got soft enough that they deformed), then tire pressure pushed them through the spoke holes.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 PM

What's the diameter of a 700c rim?! Will 10 yards be enough to go 2 times around 2 wheels?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 AM

Roughly 2060mm = 2.25 yards, twice around 4.5 yards, 10 yards should be enough for two wheels.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've had Veloplugs melt under heat (or at least got soft enough that they deformed), then tire pressure pushed them through the spoke holes.
Well, that's because you used veloplugs.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
Well, that's because you used veloplugs.
I think the point is that any thermoplastic material is prone to softening/melting under the temperatures that braking can produce. Plastic rim strips are also know to melt/soften under heavy braking. Add the high pneumatic pressure of the tire/tube is reason to be wary of plastic rim rim strips/plugs in situations which may require lots of heavy braking.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Tubeless tape is the answer. I actually prefer Stan's for use with tubes. Orange Seal, Pacenti/Velocity, Stans's or the like works well for tubeless. Velox simply offers no advantages and several disadvantages. If you overheat rims then use your own judgement; it's not an issue for me.

I use to have to employ a VAR plastic tool or Kool Stop tire lever for some tires and rim combos when using Velox. Since chucking all the Velox and moving to Stan's years ago those tools rarely see use.