Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Do you have that list? Teams and components? I haven't been able to find it.

The pix of Omega-Pharma Quickstep training shows shimano group. Maybe FSA bars and such but...

I guess their handlebar/stem sales offset their other junque.
The list isn't official yet. The Tinkoff-Saxo news was from a tweet from Oleg Tinkov that stated they were moving on from SRAM and Zipp:

http://road.cc/content/news/137360-t...-roval-and-fsa

Astana for sure:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fsa-...ark-components

The Etixx-Quickstep rumorville is heating up that they will use Shimano for the time being until FSA's electronic drivetrain will be ready:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...am-2015-149425

The last article clearly shows both Tinkoff-Saxo and Quickstep with FSA components and an FSA crank on Contador's bike. I'm sure the official list will be out in full force once the riding season is technically over so they can start really putting the bike sponsors on notice.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 PM

FSA puts their crap on many millions of low and mid range road and mountain bikes. You can't buy any decent enthusiast level bike without at least one FSA part on it. I don't think they are aiming high with this one.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not true. As a shop lizard, I had the 'pleasure' of seeing and replacing so much FSA crank/BB stuff that some just had me throw it in the bin, and replace with mostly shimano.

Almost everything is built in China/Taiwan.
That, in a nutshell, is the business model. A ton of OEM stuff that is completely disposable. And is typically replaced by something else when it inevitably breaks, usually Shimano.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:18 PM

As already stated, they do make a darn good expansion plug. Their handlebars and bottle cages also seem to get positive marks form those that have tried them. The other stuff, not so much.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:21 PM

All this FSA hate. Jeebus, people. If they price this thing in the mechanical 105 range then it fills a niche. If they try and compete with 6870 they're doomed.

I have no beef with FSA cranks. I have one on the rain bike which is now on the race bike as the SRM is out for service. Works fine with Di2.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 PM

FSA has good stuff, wonder which will be the price cut for the group, if they go for the right price, they finally kick some competitors out even more with this new project.

As i always say... the manufacturer that comes with an electronic group that is compatible 10 and 11 drivetrains between shimano and campagnolo with the click of a switch will get the attention of everybody.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post

As i always say... the manufacturer that comes with an electronic group that is compatible 10 and 11 drivetrains between shimano and campagnolo with the click of a switch will get the attention of everybody.
I don't know about that. The mass market could give a crap about Campagnolo.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM

The FSA hate is palpable. I don't have a care if FSA loses some of you guys as customers. I have had no issues whatsoever with their headsets either. I mean, how hard is it to adjust and maintain a headset? I have an old Tange headset on a MTB commuter going on 20 yrs that isn't even a sealed headset. So, to hear people trashing these components is inexplicable.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 AM
The B!

Nor cranksets..

Looks like page 4 will be where the dissenters finally jump on and criticize everyone for being stuck up brand snobs and such.

But seriously. The snobbery and pretentiousness in this thread is pretty damn unbecoming. Lay off a little, guys?

:: puke ::
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post
The FSA hate is palpable. I don't have a care if FSA loses some of you guys as customers. I have had no issues whatsoever with their headsets either. I mean, how hard is it to adjust and maintain a headset? I have an old Tange headset on a MTB commuter going on 20 yrs that isn't even a sealed headset. So, to hear people trashing these components is inexplicable.
so you dont account for the number of complaints they have gotten but some other people do. Some of their products are not good, I mean Old Potato pretty much just said he had tons of problems with FSA products at his shop. If shops are seeing this happen you have to believe it.

I will give you this though, Thomson X2 stems seems to crack a lot yet thomson does not have a bad reputation it seems. I will give you that people do pick on FSA a lot.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM

There's a whole FSA thread from 2.5 years back right here on the forum.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ht=fsa+carnage
Old 12-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Poor design. Poor execution. Poor materials. It is no wonder that they have a poor reputation in this community of cyclists who actually use their equipment and expect quite a bit from it.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
so you dont account for the number of complaints they have gotten but some other people do. Some of their products are not good, I mean Old Potato pretty much just said he had tons of problems with FSA products at his shop. If shops are seeing this happen you have to believe it.

I will give you this though, Thomson X2 stems seems to crack a lot yet thomson does not have a bad reputation it seems. I will give you that people do pick on FSA a lot.
Agreed, there may be a bit of observational bias here. If FSA represents 90% of the market and then you expect them to represent 90% of the stuff that comes in to the shop with an issue. It is when the market numbers are different than the shop numbers that we can say weather a brand is good or bad in comparison to the equivalent product from competitors.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:47 PM

I'm not an FSA fan. But I understand and accept their value in the cycling community. They clearly have a place. Just not on my bikes if I can avoid it.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Probably has something to do with Thomson's excellent customer service...email a photo of the crack, youll hear back in a few hours, mail that sucker in and receive a brand new unit in return, no questions asked.
Ive done this twice with a crack in a x2 steerer clamp and a cracked elite faceplate, both experiences were flawless.

I think volume has a lot to do with it. FSA generally makes cheaper stuff, which almost EVERYONE comes into contact with at some point. Their experience with the brand becomes "wow this things is cheaply made and heavy as hell, glad im replacing it with _______." FSA primarily deals in OEM components that are made to be functional (or replaced) and not much else.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 12-18-2014 at 04:10 PM.