Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
Let's stay away from false choices. If you listen to "disposable drek", that's your decision. I listen to good music.
We often voice opposing sides and opinions which is a good thing. Nuthin' wrong with diversity of views because it is enjoyable repartee and we keep it on the up and up.

I usually frame my arguments in terms of underlying ideas or qualities. You often support your opinions with anecdotes and experiences. Nuthin' wrong with that because I, and forum readers, get what you're saying. And ultimately that is what we are batting around and having fun with.

As far as your comment quoted above: if going through all the rhythmic transpositions and the emotional roller coaster of good music, say a Mahler symphony, is enjoyable and congruent to your riding experience, then more power to you. Nothin' wrong with that. I'm kinda joshing too, 'cos I'd guess riding and Mahler is not as good a combination as say G 'n' R "Mr. Brownstone".

I'm more of a purist. nothin' wrong with that either.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
I find this odd. You obviously don't follow "rule 62" because you find it dangerous to listen to music while riding if you have exceptions to that rule. I find your exceptions especially surprising, because for me my commuting periods are really the most dangerous rides I do - traffic is at its heaviest and drivers are at their most distracted (wanting to get home, or tired in the AM).

Then you take this a step further by watching video during your bicycle commute?

Seems to me you're anything but a "rule 62" conformist.
What? I didn't say it's dangerous- I said it ISNT dangerous. I offered my own personal exception as an example of possible exceptions - and in my 60 mile round trip commute, when I'm doing it and doing it on the bike, it's 30 miles of straight, endless highway with a 10' wide shoulder. Not a damn thing wrong with plugging in and tuning out. Once I cross the city line and have to negotiate traffic and traffic control, the movies go off and sometimes I even put the earbuds away entirely (but usually still continue to listen to music at least, as it's another few miles inside the city still).

I believe it's entirely possible that your AO doesn't allow for this. Mine does.

But I haven't commuted since last spring... My job simply doesn't always allow it. So I haven't even brought ear buds on a ride since last spring- 100% Rule 62 application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
I'm guessing this was some form of joke, because that is the stupidest thing to advocate I've read all post.
nope- 100% legit. But who is ADVOCATING? Like I said, that's what I do. It's my example of possible exceptions. You need to sort through your own.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post

nope- 100% legit. But who is ADVOCATING? Like I said, that's what I do. It's my example of possible exceptions. You need to sort through your own.
"man, you gotta have something to do. Music, talk radio, movies on Netflix (watched the entire available Archer series over the course of a month or so of commuting- three or four episodes per 1:30 each way).... something. Anything"

I would take that statement as advocating such activity. I apologize that if calling out watching video while operating a bicycle as a stupid idea offends you, but consider how the rest of the cycling community might take that or even more importantly the non-cycling world. One doesn't operate in a vacuum, your actions do influence others. Would you suggest a motor vehicle operator do such a thing on a long boring drive under similar circumstances?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM

Safety aside...the right song never seems to be playing when I need it.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Safety aside...the right song never seems to be playing when I need it.
Playlists! I have ones I make specifically for riding.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Headphones and listening for traffic...

Old Shuffle, inline control - clipped on jers - & Nike buds.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
What? I didn't say it's dangerous- I said it ISNT dangerous.
Sorry, I assumed that you saying you're a "rule 62 conformist" meant that you find cycling while listening to music to be a dangerous activity, which was why you conformed. You then went on to describe pretty much the most dangerous possible distraction I could imagine one undertaking while flirting with traffic and said you also partake in that activity, so your post left me a little perplexed.

As far as headphones and riding, I'm pretty much a live and let live guy there. I don't do it, but if another cyclist wants to risk it, it's your life.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:10 PM

i wonder how the amp will sound riding alongside the west side highway during rush hour?

I prefer not hearing anything but the music and choose custom in ear monitors. i also wear ear plugs when not wearing monitors most the time I ride.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM
The B!

Quote:
"man, you gotta have something to do. Music, talk radio, movies on Netflix (watched the entire available Archer series over the course of a month or so of commuting- three or four episodes per 1:30 each way).... something. Anything"

I would take that statement as advocating such activity. I apologize that if calling out watching video while operating a bicycle as a stupid idea offends you, but consider how the rest of the cycling community might take that or even more importantly the non-cycling world. One doesn't operate in a vacuum, your actions do influence others. Would you suggest a motor vehicle operator do such a thing on a long boring drive under similar circumstances?
Here be that dogmatic crap that is most definitely not playful... I iz sad
Old 12-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
What I want is a pair of headphones that null out the whining of teenagers...
YES!

It's finals week and I have 2 teens in my house. I would pay a premium for this technology.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:51 PM

Depends ...

On the road, I need both ears, but on the bike trail I've ridden a thousand times, I need one ear for other bikes and one ear for a ballgame.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:59 PM

I don't use headphones when I ride anymore because it seems like to more I did, the more I had to have them when I rode. It morphed into a "need" for me. I do a lot of TT's and I wanted to prepare myself for long efforts, mentally, without the aid of entertainment - so I ditched the phones/music.

The safety argument is interesting. I feel like I am better on the bike with all of my senses working; however, when I raced, two of the better local racers were deaf. One of them, Paul Wood, was a USCF National Crit Champion (amateur of course). They did not seem to suffer for the lack of hearing when it came to safety on a ride.

I think that headphones can be annoying when someone has them on in a group ride. It can make it harder to communicate when the need arises, but it's pretty rare that anyone does this in my area. Most times riders around here are pretty common-sensical about using headphones.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Beyond music (the first 25 years or so), now I listen to podcasts. It's one of the only times that I can have just to myself for the extended period of time to get through an uninterrupted episode of This American Life or Dan Carlin's Hardcore History...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm a podcast or talk radio kind of guy on solo rides. I ride I fair amount by myself, and at night, which is obviously in some regards more dangerous than in group during day. That said, it's on a residential road with essentially no traffic, and the traffic that does show up has headlights that alert me to their presence long before the sounds of the vehicle would be heard. I have no qualms about having an earbud in one ear on a ride like that listening to something.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Here be that dogmatic crap that is most definitely not playful... I iz sad
Sorry bro but the playfulness stopped at audio (of which I have no issue). I'd like to be zen and 5h!t about it but I can't so there's the dogma pile for ya to navigate around...