Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Headphones and listening for traffic...

Looks like one audio company is trying to find a balance that enables you to do both. Maybe the audiophiles on the board can enlighten on whether this works.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/12/13/...ound-balancer/
Old 12-15-2014, 03:08 PM

I prefer an external bluetooth speaker. Can put it on my handlebars or slip into my pocket. Lets me jam out publicly, and hear everything around me too.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM

You ride your bike to ride your bike!

In my opinion any way you take in the music is still a distraction...
Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
The B!

Yea... I'm pretty much a Rule 62 conformist. However.. in my mind, there's two different kinds of road riding: serious riding, for training; and then there's commuting, which includes any activity that is just getting you from one place to another place, and generally involves thousands of tortuously flat, boring miles with nothing to do but stare at the whirring patch of pavement 10' in front of your wheel.

In the latter situation, which I haven't had to deal with since last spring.... man, you gotta have something to do. Music, talk radio, movies on Netflix (watched the entire available Archer series over the course of a month or so of commuting- three or four episodes per 1:30 each way).... something. Anything. Riding the same 30 miles of highway over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..........

In other words, there are some exceptions to Rule 62.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlittlefield View Post

You're correct. It is your opinion. We're all entitled and I don't begrudge you yours. These threads always end up being highly dogmatic. Hopefully this can be avoided.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:09 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
These threads always end up being highly dogmatic.
I just don't understand why it can't be playfully dogmatic. The consequences of listening to music while riding your bike are NIL. If the infinitesimally small increase in danger bothers you, don't do it: but don't tell anyone else not to.

(said dogmatically)

Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 AM

What I want is a pair of headphones that null out the whining of teenagers...
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 AM

left ear listens to traffic, right ear listens to music.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM

Dogmatic? Not necessarily, but I hope thoughtful.

Not sure that distracted drivers are worse than distracted cyclists. When I see phrases like dealing with boredom etc it tells me folks are in fact looking to distract themselves from the act of riding. Now if you're on a trail in the woods, maybe music adds to the experience.

On a public road -- I want all drivers, be it of motor vehicles or bikes, to be fully aware of what's around them. IMHO sounds that take away from environmental awareness add risk.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlittlefield View Post

I agree.

The two experiences and qualities of music and riding are not complementary and IMO do not enhance for the betterment of either but rather detract from both - combine both and the result is a mashup of experiences.

There is nothing about the immersive qualities and seductions of good music that meshes with the meditative and rhythmic cadence of riding a bike. Sensory overload for the ADD in mistaking quantity of sensory inputs as quality over the subtlety of the wind in the ears or the thrum of rubber on pavement.

A brick-walled MP3 blasting disposable 4/4 backbeat drek ruins 90rpm-170watts-140bpm.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 AM

Headphones and listening for traffic...

Most who rail against wearing them have no exp using them..oh imo.

They think the only option is some bud held in place by filling the ear canal. Nope, there are good options that don't block out much of the surrounding sound. In fact properly placed they block the wind noise & amplify other noises.

Group ride? Nope they are off, but often in & trust me I hear the inane chatter fine.

Solo tempo, intervals & long ass rides. Yep. Scientific fact that music boosts ability. And I've never missed or otherwise been distracted by some sound that was unsafe to me.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Yea... I'm pretty much a Rule 62 conformist. However.. in my mind, there's two different kinds of road riding: serious riding, for training; and then there's commuting, which includes any activity that is just getting you from one place to another place, and generally involves thousands of tortuously flat, boring miles with nothing to do but stare at the whirring patch of pavement 10' in front of your wheel.

In the latter situation, which I haven't had to deal with since last spring.... man, you gotta have something to do. Music, talk radio, movies on Netflix (watched the entire available Archer series over the course of a month or so of commuting- three or four episodes per 1:30 each way).... something. Anything. Riding the same 30 miles of highway over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..........

In other words, there are some exceptions to Rule 62.
I find this odd. You obviously don't follow "rule 62" because you find it dangerous to listen to music while riding if you have exceptions to that rule. I find your exceptions especially surprising, because for me my commuting periods are really the most dangerous rides I do - traffic is at its heaviest and drivers are at their most distracted (wanting to get home, or tired in the AM).

Then you take this a step further by watching video during your bicycle commute?

Seems to me you're anything but a "rule 62" conformist.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Then you take this a step further by watching video during your bicycle commute?
I'm guessing this was some form of joke, because that is the stupidest thing to advocate I've read all post.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

I use my phone's speaker to play music during solo rides. Music enhances my concentration. I couldn't study the first year of grad school without it. My 4.0 that year is only a survey of one, but I am the one that is riding.

Music also warns non riders (and animals) that I am approaching behind them, in my experience that is better than "on your left".

Let's stay away from false choices. If you listen to "disposable drek", that's your decision. I listen to good music.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I agree.

The two experiences and qualities of music and riding are not complementary and IMO do not enhance for the betterment of either but rather detract from both - combine both and the result is a mashup of experiences.

There is nothing about the immersive qualities and seductions of good music that meshes with the meditative and rhythmic cadence of riding a bike. Sensory overload for the ADD in mistaking quantity of sensory inputs as quality over the subtlety of the wind in the ears or the thrum of rubber on pavement.

A brick-walled MP3 blasting disposable 4/4 backbeat drek ruins 90rpm-170watts-140bpm.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19793214