Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Never drove one, but I have read many a critique of the 911 claiming that it just loves to do nasty things at the wrong times to rookies if pushed too hard. I guess because of that issue.
Yup. Go in too fast, get scared, lift off the throttle, rear end un-weights and BAMBI ON ICE! Very fun to watch. Less fun to experience. Can swap ends pretty quickly.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM

When I used a roof rack, the garage remote went in the glove box. Some people hang a reminder from the inside rear view mirror.

And yes, I DO want a roof rack for my Transit Connect so I can carry bikes and boxes on the roof. Neither Yakima nor Thule make an adapter. First one to make one gets my business.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
The one thing that sucks is trying to squeeze a bike in the back seat. I've done it too many times now so I'd like invest in a roof rack. I know it's going to ruin the whole smooth Buick aesthetic but it has to be done.

1970 Buick Skylark.

Last edited by wildboar; 12-17-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
When I used a roof rack, the garage remote went in the glove box. Some people hang a reminder from the inside rear view mirror.

And yes, I DO want a roof rack for my Transit Connect so I can carry bikes and boxes on the roof. Neither Yakima nor Thule make an adapter. First one to make one gets my business.
Buying a Transit Connect has crossed my mind. I think it'd be a super cool option for hauling everything including doubling as a camper.

But w/ the Connect, are you able fit the bikes in the back?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
Buying a Transit Connect has crossed my mind. I think it'd be a super cool option for hauling everything including doubling as a camper.

But w/ the Connect, are you able fit the bikes in the back?
Yes, normally you can fit several bikes in the back either in a van or wagon with seat folded down. Probably as many as 6 inside if you stagger them with glider boards. My Transit Connect is full of racks and tool boxes. Here is the outside, with inside images to follow:

I can fit one bike inside between the tool boxes on the right and shelving on the left for parts etc.

The factory roof rack is not an option on the van. As of now, if I want a roof rack, I would have to add a factory rack from the wagon version for about $1,000 and THEN buy rail riders from either Yakima or Thule. Not gonna happen. Eventually, a van sold world wide will entice either of them to make the simple adapter to allow a good rack.
I am thinking of buying a square rail ladder rack and putting Thule bike carriers on that.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Seasucker

The seasucker suction cup racks are a good option for cars without possible SUV like roof racks
Old 12-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post

I've heard there's an AP for that. Turn it on and cell phone makes a racket w/I a certain distance of your home. To remind you to not drive into garage. Most of the ones we saw were when door already open, scenarios.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:08 AM
not banished

roof rack

I've had a roof rack since 1992 and I have never, ever even remotely driven towards my garage.

I don't use any tips or tricks, I just park outside my garage and remove the bike. I did hear one tip I thought was smart: move a chair in your spot for a reminder.

I know one guy who drive in twice inside of a month, only hurt his post (well, maybe his frame, too - but I guess he'll never know till it's too late). I can also attest this guy is a first class fool - spastic, can't hold a straight line, kinda dumb. No surprise he keeps doing it.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 AM

Get a roof rack and you can keep using it with your next car. I've had the same Yakima rack since 1986. It's been used on 4 different cars with 3 different roof tower styles and have yet to have issues. Maybe it's because my dad taught me that garages are for storing all your toys and cars go outside.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Somewhere I have a picture of my $1 car with a $400? rack and a $1200? bike (bike and rack prices wholesale). It was set up with a bar on the trunk and 3 on the roof, the car I was thinking of when I posted the "outside the box" solution. Can't find the picture though.

Back in the day I semi-joked that you could tell a serious rider if the bike > rack > car.
Quoting myself.

Made it into the Stamford Town Center parking garage, which has a 6' and change ceiling height, with the bike on the rack as pictured.

The rack was $500 and change, not $400, wholesale. Bike was $1250 wholesale, sort of (I bought it over time so exact cost is variable depending on wheels, exact parts, etc). My then-gf gave me the car in exchange for helping make some payments on her new car, helping pay for repairs on the Fairmont, teaching her how to drive, etc, but on the registration form we put $1 as the purchase price. This is back before they charged sales tax on the book value, regardless of what you paid for the car (unless a direct relative gifted you the car), so I paid 6 or 7 cents in sales tax.

Property tax one year was $2.37 or something like that. The highest I paid, in the same town, was $850, in 2003-2004, for one car.

If I recall correctly it's a Q15 clip on the trunk. It is whatever worked with the easy 90s DSM Eclipse/Lazer/... I forget the third model. The rear bar was supposed to sit on the trunk lid and was held on by a clip that held the edge of the trunk lid. Worked for things like Crown Vics, etc, anything with a flat edge trunk lip to the sides. I suppose if the trunk was wide enough you could mount the rails sideways but the lid may not open.