Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 PM

T-handle bondhus or a cry for help

I took these in trade for a little bike work. Y wrenches and loose allens are all I've ever used. Will adding these to the clutter make my life a little easier?

signed, A. Tool Horda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171001_165252.jpg (49.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 20170918_173407.jpg (121.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 PM

Finally, a workbench that I can identify with. They will make some jobs easier, nice to have options. You just need to be able to find them when you need them.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:06 PM

yes, t handles are very comfy to use if not the best for tight spots.
you know, of course, that a couple bins or pegboard would probably serve you better
Old 10-01-2017, 06:17 PM

I've had that same set for several years and they're really nice. Of course I've also got Y wrenches and regular Allen wrenches as well.

I agree with the peg board or bins comment. They'd make it much easier to find the tools you want as well as freeing up a good work surface.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Small ring

Yes, they will make your life easier.

Would you like to sell that cotter press (if it's not busticated)?
Old 10-01-2017, 06:52 PM

I used some old kitchen cabinets mounted to the wall above my workbench with the doors removed as some tool storage. I highly recommend it.

I also sold ALL of my extra parts this weekend. I don't know what I'll do!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Embracing my

I like my T handles a lot but in fairness I mounted them to the wall right above my workbench so I would actually remember that I had them...
Old 10-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Dear A. Tool Horda,

You should not feel concerned. This happens to all of us. Cyclist think that the n+1 rule applies to bikes, but it actually started with tools. Let me explain how this develops.

First, you start with a cyclist's multitool. It's a useless set of allen keys that never includes the one small size you need, and the whole thing has no leverage, is too bulky to be accessible to the bolt head in question, and it pinches your fingers.

Next you go to loose tools from the hardware store. Bondhus allen wrenches are a good example. Good wrenches, actually, and you can actually go n+14 if you get the jumbo set.

But you lust for more. You want that ability to crank on your stem with all the gusto you'd put into the crank detonator connected to the C4 in a James Bond movie. You'll even wear cufflinks to get that ability. And then you start to find satisfaction. There are Y-wrenches, T-wrenches, stick wrenches, hex tips on screw guns, hex tips on screwdrivers, hex tips on torque wrenches, integrated hex tips on torque wrenches (you get to count those twice). Then there's the belt buckle with the fold-out chain tool and the little studs on the front that are ... if you look closely ... the torx tips you've been longing for. So for want of a simple cheap cyclist multitool, you now are at n+87 and climbing. Each has its purpose. Each has its mission. What you now need to do is be sure that each has its home. More tools are required to accomplish that goal. Drills, drill bits, countersinks, jig saw, orbital sander, and somewhere in there you know you'll need a tig welder. You always will need a tig welder. You aren't serious until you've eyed a tig welder. And a decent one. A Miller Syncroweld is about the baseline for an n+1. (Yes, Alice, it does get harder to score points as you go farther down the hole.)

Have we mentioned the parts drawer? You aren't buying tools without buying parts? Button head allen bolts in all the lengths and threadings. Nylok nuts. If you're installing fenders on your bike you need at least thirty different types of hardware that your fenders don't come with. Pretty soon you'll realize that your tool collection isn't as insidious as your parts collection (when you have spares of all the various parts to build a pair of Phil Wood track hubs, you'll understand). So now you're approaching that point that we all reach here where bike collection is not a sin, nor is tool collection. It's simply a necessary way of life if we're to excel on a bike. I'm not defining what excelling on a bike is supposed to mean, but sometimes the world is simply ambiguous (like when your wife asks what n bikes is and you quote her n-12).

This is only a very superficial tour of life as an essential cyclist. There's such a metaphysical element to life as a cyclist. And when you walk through the pearly gates, you definitely want to walk through with your best allen wrenches in hand, just in case there's a bolt on the pearly gates that needs attention. Carrying that wrench will bring you bonus points in the eyes of the Almighty.

Last edited by 11.4; 10-01-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Dear A. Tool Horda,

You should not feel concerned. This happens to all of us. Cyclist think that the n+1 rule applies to bikes, but it actually started with tools. Let me explain how this develops.

First, you start with a cyclist's multitool. It's a useless set of allen keys that never includes the one small size you need, and the whole thing has no leverage, is too bulky to be accessible to the bolt head in question, and it pinches your fingers.

Next you go to loose tools from the hardware store. Bondhus allen wrenches are a good example. Good wrenches, actually, and you can actually go n+14 if you get the jumbo set.

But you lust for more. You want that ability to crank on your stem with all the gusto you'd put into the crank detonator connected to the C4 in a James Bond movie. You'll even wear cufflinks to get that ability. And then you start to find satisfaction. There are Y-wrenches, T-wrenches, stick wrenches, hex tips on screw guns, hex tips on screwdrivers, hex tips on torque wrenches, integrated hex tips on torque wrenches (you get to count those twice). Then there's the belt buckle with the fold-out chain tool and the little studs on the front that are ... if you look closely ... the torx tips you've been longing for. So for want of a simple cheap cyclist multitool, you now are at n+87 and climbing. Each has its purpose. Each has its mission. What you now need to do is be sure that each has its home. More tools are required to accomplish that goal. Drills, drill bits, countersinks, jig saw, orbital sander, and somewhere in there you know you'll need a tig welder. You always will need a tig welder. You aren't serious until you've eyed a tig welder. And a decent one. A Miller Syncroweld is about the baseline for an n+1. (Yes, Alice, it does get harder to score points as you go farther down the hole.)

Have we mentioned the parts drawer? You aren't buying tools without buying parts? Button head allen bolts in all the lengths and threadings. Nylok nuts. If you're installing fenders on your bike you need at least thirty different types of hardware that your fenders don't come with. Pretty soon you'll realize that your tool collection isn't as insidious as your parts collection (when you have spares of all the various parts to build a pair of Phil Wood track hubs, you'll understand). So now you're approaching that point that we all reach here where bike collection is not a sin, nor is tool collection. It's simply a necessary way of life if we're to excel on a bike. I'm not defining what excelling on a bike is supposed to mean, but sometimes the world is simply ambiguous (like when your wife asks what n bikes is and you quote her n-12).

This is only a very superficial tour of life as an essential cyclist. There's such a metaphysical element to life as a cyclist. And when you walk through the pearly gates, you definitely want to walk through with your best allen wrenches in hand, just in case there's a bolt on the pearly gates that needs attention. Carrying that wrench will bring you bonus points in the eyes of the Almighty.
11.4 pal wrote this script.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Dear A. Tool Horda,

Tool slut.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dear A. Tool Horda,

This. Just. Made. My. Week.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
This. Just. Made. My. Week.
Me too!!!

Gotta love Lane...
Old 10-02-2017, 05:40 AM

digging on the STP bottle...........
Old 10-02-2017, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
I took these in trade for a little bike work. Y wrenches and loose allens are all I've ever used. Will adding these to the clutter make my life a little easier?

signed, A. Tool Horda
My solution is to make sure the tools have bright colored handles..easier to find in my bench's tool explosion..gray blends in too much. The little stands go in the trash..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1306tr-june-2013-01+t-handle-hex-wrench-test+bondhus-.jpg (10.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 AM

Even more points are available for those who also collec er I mean work on other things in addition to bicycles.