Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2023, 07:20 PM

OT: Educate me on CBD gummies

I'm looking at two potential uses -- (1) improve sleep (for the last year or more I've been unable to get a full night's sleep, wake up easily and can't get back to sleep; (2) relieve chronic pain (my mother has had chronic pain associated with a broken arm from August 2021 -- the bone has healed but there appears to be nerve damage).

Is this a trial and error exercise to find the right CBD and dosage? How do I find the highest quality CBD and the best price?

Any first hand thoughts or experience with CBD is appreciated.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:45 PM

My CBD-only experience (i.e., not CBD:THC, nttawwt) has been quite good.. I find them to be mellowing and to help with sleep with zero negative effects the way that melatonin or other sleep-aids can really mess things up.

For a long time I used Wyld brand gummies (25mg dose). I've recently switched to CBD FX just to try something different. The flavor is better on the Wyld. The CBD FX are just as quality and effective but cost a fair bit less when bought with one of their many discount codes.

I've not used it for pain relief and am skeptical of anything transdermal since most science shows it is very difficult to absorb anything in meaningful quantities through your skin, as far as what I've seen.

I do occasionally enjoy a CBD soda and get the same mellow vibes from those.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:51 AM
Deconditioned!

THC gummies are where it’s at. $5 for 50mg in Oregon. Replying for a friend.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:54 AM

I tried CBD drops for a while, also for insomnia. If I’m honest I found them relatively ineffective. In fairness, I didn’t experiment exhaustively with the brand and dosage, but I was disappointed.

My best ever tip for insomnia is white noise. A cheap and not-very-powerful fan in the corner of the bedroom has been extremely helpful for me. The other thing I would recommend for breaking the insomnia cycle is having a fixed bedtime and getting up time. You feel shattered for about 4 days but then find yourself looking at the clock in the evening waiting to go to bed.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
THC gummies are where it’s at. $5 for 50mg in Oregon. Replying for a friend.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:21 AM

I have in friend Charlottesville who described petting her chocolate Lab's fur after a CBD nibble as quasi euphoric. I know a lot of mommies and daddies are hitting the gummies after putting the kids to bed but I don't have any firsthand experience.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:21 AM
50 bpm

I agree that THC gummies are the solution. I have tried both CBD and THC and there's no comparison. 2mg gummies don't get you high but are outstanding at aiding sleep and helping with chronic pain. Of course, most states don't allow the sale of THC, so you have to get creative. When we travel to California or New York, I stock up.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:12 AM

I take a 1:1 ratio of CBD:THC for sleep and chronic pain at night. Works quite well but you need to experiment to find the dosage best for you as it can vary quite a bit. Start off with low dose and go up till reach desired effect.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:30 AM

CBD for sleep works for me ---- and is not a narcotic. CBD for pain works for - and is not a narcotic (i.e. no drug fog in the AM, no other side effects, etc.)

Pill pusher medical professionals may disagree, but some of their motives do not align with my best interests.

YRMV.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:37 AM

You should just give it a try and see if it's for you — the reality is most of the studies done with it say it's moderately effective at best, and at worse no better than a placebo. However, if the placebo effect has a positive impact on your mood, sleep, or chornic pain — then it doesn't really matter if it actually does anything physiologically.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:42 AM

My understanding of the state of the science is that we don't know a lot about the effects of either CBD or THC. There's a lot of low-quality science.

It appears that CBD's effects on anxiety and insomnia are better substantiated than the direct effect of CBD on pain. Of course, chronic pain is frequently linked to anxiety and depression, and relieving the latter can help with the underlying pain.

In the absence of good science, I think I'd try the stuff out, gradually adjusting the dose, keeping in mind that you may have trouble differentiating the effect from placebo (i.e. maybe CBD is not working for you or your mom). If you want to be more rigorous about evaluating it, you may want to not make any other changes, just introduce CBD, give yourself a while to let your body adjust to the dose. Be willing to discontinue it if you don't notice an effect.

Yes, this is basically advising a type of informed trial and error. I realize that this can be unsatisfactory, but ultimately, all psychoactive drugs may involve trial and error. You may need to adjust the dosage up to find the correct dose. The specific drug may not work for you, but another drug in the same class might (e.g. you might need try more than one SSRI).

I'd probably advise the same for THC.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:45 AM

I know nothing of this but gummies and dosage sound ahem short of a perfect combination. What happend to drops ?
Old 01-02-2023, 12:13 PM

The only way to know how it’ll work for you is by giving it a try. These things have different effects on different people. E.g. THC is known to help people fall asleep, but gives me terrible insomnia.

Very little experience with CBD by itself. Worth giving a shot IMO
Old 01-02-2023, 12:17 PM

I haven’t tried the CBD gummies, but I’ve used the Floyd’s of Leadville full spectrum CBD capsules and find they work very well at relaxing me and helping with sleep. I have the topical stuff from them as well for muscle aches but I think it’s more of the massage providing the benefit over the cbd.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
The only way to know how it’ll work for you is by giving it a try. These things have different effects on different people. E.g. THC is known to help people fall asleep, but gives me terrible insomnia.

Very little experience with CBD by itself. Worth giving a shot IMO
For me it depends on the type of THC. I’m an insomniac and I like edibles made with Indica and CBD. I use them as an alternative to Ambien, which unfortunately had become a staple. Sativa strains makes me wired and keep me up. CBD alone does nothing for me so far as I can tell. I particularly like these: https://www.bettyseddies.com/product...-bedtimebettys. The only downside is waking up in the middle of the night with cottonmouth. I always keep a bottle of water by me at night though.