Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM

Boston area fitter?

Who do people like, especially for a middle aged, non-racer with back issues? I'm getting my first custom frame in 39 years from Dave Anderson in MN, so would like to do the fitting locally if possible (I'm on Martha's Vineyard, Boston is an easy trip).

Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Fitwerx in Peabody does a great job and gives you a nice little file at the end of the session. It's roughly $300 though and fills up very fast.

Or PM TiDesigns, he can put you in the right spot.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Call Belmont Wheelworks and make an appointment with Ed Sassler (aka Ti Designs). He understands back issues all too well.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Ed at WHeelworks is very good.

The FItwerks guys really shine for TT/Triathlon bikes and are Sci certified fitters.

I just had a fit done with Phil Wong at Seaside Cycle in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA. Cost was $250 (I believe about $100 less than many others) and he spent about 3 hours doing body assessment, insoles, cleat position changes, and bike fit (including pedal shimming for Q factor).

He made some cockpit adjustments that made logical sense to me but did not feel right at the time. One week later and I'm in love with the new adjustments.

These are the first changes in many years of riding and re-fits every 3-4 years.

I highly recommend him.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Last edited by Bruce K; 03-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Go find the jerk.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx
Go find the jerk.
seriously.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM

Craig and Ed would be great choices in the Boston area.

On a related note, I've spent many a vacation in Falmouth over the last 15 years or so, and a great small LBS that you should know about if you don't already is Corner Cycle in Falmouth. The owner, George Sykes, knows his stuff (and is another person to consider for fitting) and CC's probably the only shop on the Cape that's a Campagnolo dealer. Hop on the Island Queen and you're practically there.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM

One more for you to check out and not speaking from personal experience, but I hear good things about Husam Sahin at ATA Cycles in Concord.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM

I love this amalgam of the two boats, Island Home and African Queen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer
Hop on the Island Queen and you're practically there.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones
One more for you to check out and not speaking from personal experience, but I hear good things about Husam Sahin at ATA Cycles in Concord.
I second Husam. He helped me and I am very pleased with his fit. He has clients from all over the US who fly in for his fit. Best of luck. JG
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Another vote for Ed Sassler (Ti Designs) at Belmont Wheelworks. He did my fitting when I ordered a Kirk.

We first went for a roughly 10 mile ride so he could see me on the bike. Ed made some good technique recommendations - little things I didn't know I was doing that took me out of my range of motion. We then did a typical size cycle / trainer fitting - about 2 1/2 hours, set up both road bikes at the time, got my numbers for David Kirk, and charged me all of $60.

Ed's a good guy, and a great fitter.

Cheers!

Rob
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, +1 for Belmont Wheelworks. Ed is very good at what he does. He probably does not know it (I didn't know he was TiDesign here at the time) but he fit me and my wife soon after we moved to Boston. I got a new frame and bought her her first road bike. It really helper her get comfortable on the road bike after only riding MTBs for several years (and she is no racer).
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Belmont WW best in the area imx

All the fitters at WW are good, Ed Sassler will always be my first choice. He learned from John Allis (retired last year).
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM

I would send someone over to Husam in a minute.. a lot of people I've known don't like him as he can be quite a salesman.. I like him and I think he's probably the best fitter I've been too. He doesn't seem to use as fancy equipment or "fit system" as anyone else but he sticks you on the trainer and watches you for real.. and his recommendations for fit have been the best ones I've received. I got 2 bikes from him where I basically bought the frame he recommended for me as opposed to me picking the brand and him trying to squeeze me on a size.. both of those bikes fit flawlessly.. I didn't like the Giant TCR he stuck me on because it was kind of a noodle.. but I never should have gotten rid of it as the fit was so perfect. I had by *far* the best season of my cycling history on that bike. He fit me for my current MTB, and I still have that bike and I've never had a single issue with the fit on it. Same thing, it's a Giant and I wish the frame was stiffer.. but I learned my lesson after selling the TCR and have kept it since it fits perfectly.

I have been fit at Goodale's in Nashua, NH, Wheelworks (not Ed), and Cycleloft... I honestly think Husam got it right with the least amount of hassle.. I had totally forgotten about him but after seeing him mentioned I will probably go back to him if I buy another bike.

I was actually pretty unhappy with my experience at Wheelworks.. I went in there because the Serotta I got at Goodale's didn't fit right and after 2 trips back they couldn't figure it out.. I wasn't able to get an appointment with Ed when I went into Wheelworks even though I asked for him, whoever I got messed my position up even more and I ended up with a wrist injury as a result.

(I've moved around a ton, that's why I've been to so many shops)

I would be super tempted in the future to just go get a fit at the Serotta factory actually.. but for now I'm very happy with my positioning after all those fits. I travel to the Capital District several times a year.. given the price I would probably just wait till I was in the area and go to Serotta now that they offer the service in Saratoga rather then pay the fees Fitwerx charges.. I have never heard a bad thing about Fitwerx though.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM

ti or the jerk
they both know their stuff
cheers