Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 12:26 PM

Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by danield View Post
Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.
12s isn't on the horizon. I expect Veloce will be 11s soon, if not this year.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM

I want a Super Record groupset that weighs much less, lasts far longer, has greatly reduced drivetrain friction, is vastly stiffer for quicker shifts, is more much aerodynamic and costs a lot less.

Other than that I have no wishes.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Campagnolo Espresso

I want a Campagnolo Espresso machine with an ergo filter basket handle, hydraulic brass boiler, and a built in indexed (11 setting, heck, let's go to 12 settings) grinder.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM

I still want 47/57 caliper brakes.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 PM

something better go 11

new alu four arm cranks

no more 10
Old 08-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
When riding on un-improved trail surfaces, front shifting still works, but it does become more problematic. High drag/low speed situations (such as riding uphill on loose surfaces) doesn't allow for the changes in power to the ground that front shifting often entails (rear shifting is difficult enough in these situations).

In addition, rapidly varying terrain doesn't require the ability to finely adjust gear sizes, so large jumps between gears are better tolerated (and often desired).

These two factors combined make wide ranged rear cassettes not only tolerable, but often desireable. If the rear cassette is wide enough to give the full range of gearing desired, and the size jumps between gears are tolerable, why bother with a front derailleur?
This is why I love 1x on my mountain bike. I wouldn't consider it on a road bike outside of a city bike. I could live with a single speed or 3spd however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danield View Post

Veloce and Athena are virtually identical outside of the gear count. 11 is likely here for a while given a whole new generation just came out, but I could see 10 going away. I'm also with potato. It wouldn't surprise me to see an entry level fulcrum group. Realistically, they could probably eliminate Veloce, make Athena silver only and then release a black version of Athena under the fulcrum name.

I also think it's too early to say "wake up" regarding discs. Campagnolos core market it road/race. Top end race frames with disc tabs are just starting to hit the market. If they announce a group at eurobike, I would say they are just in time. I am yet to see a road bike (not cross) in the wild equipped with shimano's hydraulic setup. Campagnolo doesn't need to branch into new markets to increase their customer base, there is room in their existing market. There are pleanty of companies that are more singular focused than Campagnolo that survive.

My guesses in the next few months:

I am guessing we see more of their wheels adopting their new rim width spec, I think we will see a disc setup, and it also wouldn't surprise me to see a larger range cassette. 11-32 if I had to guess.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-25-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Tags
campagnolo, eurobike 2015