Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Carbon diagnosis

Thanks again for the insight. I stripped the components off this frame which is how I found the damage/crease, i tap just about everything as a normal course of daily life, the sound of the tubes is consistent throughout. Or perhaps better stated there is no change in tone in this tube vs the other similarly sized tubes.

The bike rode incredibly nice like it's supposed to with no creak or unusual noises nor did it misbehave in shifting.

I don't have any real plans for it, was just going to mothball it for awhile until I have more time to ride.

Thanks again and I will update with any further development as I will examine it a bit closer with a magnifying glass etc.

Bob
Old 11-23-2014, 05:33 AM

When I had a Meivici a ways back, I was told by Serotta 2 nm tightening torque for the FD clamp! The thing was barely hanging on, but it worked. I've always thought carbon bikes should have braze (riveted) on FDs.

That looks cracked to me; the crimp + the crack looks like a bad combo. I know this is the equivalent of an IT guy telling you to reboot your computer, but you should send it to Calfee.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Disagree on lost cause if cracked

Ruckus Composites has done done pretty amazing repairs

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 AM

I would hesitate to spray any oil based liquid in the area to see if it's a crack at that stuff will be very tough to get out should you want to have it repaired.

dave
Old 11-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I would hesitate to spray any oil based liquid in the area to see if it's a crack at that stuff will be very tough to get out should you want to have it repaired.

dave
spot on!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Vendor

In my opinion, repairing cracked/broken carbon is a very questionable practice.
You have to remember that your carbon frame is not like a fiberglass car body. You can't just fill it in, sand and paint.
I do know of some repairs that have been successful; without immediate failure. Some have lasted years and have no sign of further damage but that doesn't give me peace of mind nor would I recommend it.
The important thing to know is that while a small crack might appear on the surface there is no way of knowing what stress damage might have occurred internally.
There are some carbon experts out there that can help evaluate damage but I would only trust the original builder with a repair.

Last edited by RedRider; 11-23-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Re:

Cracked. I bet Craig Calfee could repair it and maybe include a FD mount.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtmcardle View Post
Or perhaps better stated there is no change in tone in this tube vs the other similarly sized tubes.
If the sound is the same in that area as everywhere else, I'd be shocked if there was any structural damage. Composite can't really break without some delamination.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever experienced a break that didn't produce a change in tone at the area?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Visit the Ruckus website

They do not do "band aid" repairs

They are 3D modeling and (after careful analysis) bonding in whole segments of carbon tube (some with internal reinforcement.

Repairs are generally hard to detect without prior knowledge and their paint work is top notch

I know several others, besides me, who are very happy with their work and they are usually much less than Calfee

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Riding Along

^This^ If you decide to scrap the frame without trying a repair solution there are many folks here who would help you dispose of it by taking it off of your hands...
Old 11-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Carbon diagnosis

Thanks. I have reached out to Ruckus and I'll let them decide what's appropriate. I certainly don't want to ruin a great riding frame, I suspect it's superficial but the little riding I've been able to fit in has been on the Kirk.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Ruckus has great customer service, give em a ring for sure. Also, see about getting the shop to absorb some of the cost--they should take respobsibility if they did the wrenching.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:51 PM

If the diagnosis is that it's OK, I'd just suggest using a FD clamp that has the crimp area of the clamp on a different part of the tube. I'd also be looking for one that spread the load out over a larger area. Neither of these things may in fact matter, but they're certainly not going to hurt.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
If the sound is the same in that area as everywhere else, I'd be shocked if there was any structural damage. Composite can't really break without some delamination.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever experienced a break that didn't produce a change in tone at the area?
never happened. but there is no accounting for ones opinion of "tonal change" vs. anothers.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:39 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
In my opinion, repairing cracked/broken carbon is a very questionable practice.
I've trained and raced two years so far on a repaired chainstay with no hint of trouble. You clearly need to have faith in the skills of the repairer. Mine told me - and I believe him - that the repaired area is stronger than anywhere else on the frame. My experience could be exceptional of course or the thing could fail tomorrow but it still seems quite solid.