Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 08:01 AM

More North County

Second (or third) the various chime-ins on riding kinda inland from the coast.

My go-tos (and this is riding from the door of my in-laws in San Marcos):

- Elfin Forest northbound with return on Del Dios to/through RSF
- Elfin Forest northbound with return back over Twin Peaks and Double Peak
- Down Twin Peaks then northbound (North Twin Peaks?) to its conclusion with Gopher Canyon then east on Gopher Canyon to Old Castle/Lilac up to Valley Center and down Lake Wohlford to Escondido and return via Elfin Forest or Twin Peaks
- Down San Elijo Road to the coast via Aviara Parkway and a detour by the Batiquitos Lagoon, south on the coast until LaCosta, and then back up to the top of Double Peak

Lots to do without the drive out to Palomar as others have said!
Old 05-01-2024, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the additional great tips, all!

I've been compiling them and trying to figure out an itinerary that'll allow me to ride a few times a week, even a short jaunt, and still do family stuff (which is the real reason we're out there). I'll also be working much of the time, which is a bit limiting. But I think I should be able to take a weekday morning to hit Palomar which seems like a fun experience. Hopefully a weekday morning Swami's ride and maybe a Saturday ride from UC Cyclery.

The kids are still very little, so probably not too much exploring yet. I cannot wait to go to Legoland with them.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post

- Down Twin Peaks then northbound (North Twin Peaks?) to its conclusion with Gopher Canyon then east on Gopher Canyon to Old Castle/Lilac up to Valley Center and down Lake Wohlford to Escondido and return via Elfin Forest or Twin Peaks
- Down San Elijo Road to the coast via Aviara Parkway and a detour by the Batiquitos Lagoon, south on the coast until LaCosta, and then back up to the top of Double Peak

Those are all good rides that I have done from my house.
Double Peak is a real steep climb, maybe 20%. I have to stop to catch my breath going up it. Near there is also Coronado Hills Dr. another really steep one and a bit longer.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post

The feeling and visuals of ripping through Elfin Forest (but going the other way from yours) behind a bunch of pros on the Swami's Ride remains one of touch points in cycling that makes me want to maintain a baseline of fitness that allows me to do such things. Such a cool road.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:22 PM

How was your visit to SD?

I always like to hear visitors' post visit thoughts.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:29 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
The feeling and visuals of ripping through Elfin Forest (but going the other way from yours) behind a bunch of pros on the Swami's Ride remains one of touch points in cycling that makes me want to maintain a baseline of fitness that allows me to do such things. Such a cool road.
So there I was... ripping down the hill towards the coast riding past Elfin Forest on a New Years ride one year

Who do I see in front of me? Axel Merckx when he was still racing!

Since I didn't want to be 'the Cat 4 that took down Axel Merckx and ruined his season' I stayed well behind him.

It's amazing who you see in Sandy Eggo. Triathlon pros, road pros, elite athletes of all manner... Never did see LA or his team when I was there tho

M
Old 05-07-2024, 12:34 PM

Leaving to go to San Diego today! But after all this help it turns out I won't be bringing my bike. I learned that I have to work a lot more than I thought while I'm there. Between working more and visiting with family I just won't have that much time.

But we're planning on going out more frequently, so I'm hoping to put some of these suggestions into action at some point.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
So there I was... ripping down the hill towards the coast riding past Elfin Forest on a New Years ride one year

Who do I see in front of me? Axel Merckx when he was still racing!

Since I didn't want to be 'the Cat 4 that took down Axel Merckx and ruined his season' I stayed well behind him.

It's amazing who you see in Sandy Eggo. Triathlon pros, road pros, elite athletes of all manner... Never did see LA or his team when I was there tho

M
Used to see Axel a few times on the group "Wednesday ride".
I remember his super smooth pedaling style.
A few years I was riding and was passed by a group, caught up with them and one rider with very large thighs turned off in my direction so I rode with him for awhile. It wasn't till we stopped at a light that I glanced at his top tube that had his name "Nelson Vails" on it. He was a very nice guy.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:56 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Used to see Axel a few times on the group "Wednesday ride".
I remember his super smooth pedaling style.
A few years I was riding and was passed by a group, caught up with them and one rider with very large thighs turned off in my direction so I rode with him for awhile. It wasn't till we stopped at a light that I glanced at his top tube that had his name "Nelson Vails" on it. He was a very nice guy.
The thing I've noticed over the years is that the truly fast people are some of the nicest you'll meed. It's the ones that want you to think they're fast that are the jackholes.

Seems to work across the board in pretty much every walk of live: the ones that have done it (whatever 'it' is) are the nicest people you'll meet. The wannabe's are the jackholes

M
Old 05-07-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
The thing I've noticed over the years is that the truly fast people are some of the nicest you'll meed. It's the ones that want you to think they're fast that are the jackholes.

Seems to work across the board in pretty much every walk of live: the ones that have done it (whatever 'it' is) are the nicest people you'll meet. The wannabe's are the jackholes

M
Heh 100% with this. I mean, okay, I'm n=1, so I haven't met 99.99999999% of the people that have "it", but those that I have met... yes. They have nothing to prove so they are good with whatever.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
Leaving to go to San Diego today! But after all this help it turns out I won't be bringing my bike. I learned that I have to work a lot more than I thought while I'm there. Between working more and visiting with family I just won't have that much time.

But we're planning on going out more frequently, so I'm hoping to put some of these suggestions into action at some point.
Re: legoland, we got some area pass thing. I googled quickly but can't tell what it was. Sponsored by the state or something so maybe Citypass? I want to say it was something like ZAP or something, but it was official and my friend in the area mentioned it. You get tickets to the normal attractions, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, etc, at a discount, with so many days to do it. Budget a day for the big places, half a day for little. Balboa Park has so many things you can do a couple few things there in one day.

We went on a whale watch and it was incredible, a zillion dolphins keeping pace with the boat, but I forgot I get seasick / queasy and I was pretty miserable most of the time. lol. What a thing to forget. Wife was like "why did you suggest this if you'd be so miserable?".

My son, 5 at the time, loved Legoland so we went there two days (if you stay in the hotel there you get to enter an hour early or something). He liked driving the little car thing (there's a bigger area, same size cars, but older age requirement). He had a blast looking at the Star Wars stuff, playing with legos, some fire truck spray water thing, etc etc etc. Recently I asked him about what he remembered. Doesn't remember much. So it was an experience, but not one he retained.

I used to "review" each day with him at bed time (like every day, not just special ones), mention all the things that he/we did, praise him on things he did well, talk about stuff that seemed to be tough on him, etc, try to sort of refresh the memory. Apparently that doesn't work. It's experiences that sear into the memory that count, not ones a parent practices remembering.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Some time after that day, I think it was on the same trip, I'm climbing up Del Dios toward Hodges from RSF, and there's this REALLY bald guy with no helmet just screaming the other way. I can't put together if it was before or after he'd won the Vuelta, but it was Horner.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
Some time after that day, I think it was on the same trip, I'm climbing up Del Dios toward Hodges from RSF, and there's this REALLY bald guy with no helmet just screaming the other way. I can't put together if it was before or after he'd won the Vuelta, but it was Horner.
You sure it was Horner? There’s a bald guy who rides with no helmet and always has the most pro-looking Italian bikes who I see riding around the RSF area. No clue who he is but it’s not Chris.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
You sure it was Horner? There’s a bald guy who rides with no helmet and always has the most pro-looking Italian bikes who I see riding around the RSF area. No clue who he is but it’s not Chris.
Chris lives in Bend, OR now.
When I was in San Diego he was still there (through '96) and was riding for Nutrafig, then Mercury.

Tuesday night crit in Sorrento Valley
Wednesday Tri-Ride (would ride from La Mesa to Encinitas, do the Tri-Ride, then ride hom)
Thursday night Poway crit.

Pretty amazing. Like a shark through minnows.

Separately, I rode with Kai Huntermark (Telekom/TMO) and saw Moreno Argentin rolling through Rancho Santa Fe. Also rode with Ken Carpenter (Track) and Glenn Sanders (he was our coach at UCSD). There were a bunch of LA-Sherrifs as well; Malcom Elliott, Steve Hegg and some others, too.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:57 PM

saw Horner a couple times in North County. Flew by me at the base of Palomar. I think Tour of CA was about that time, not sure if it was the year they went up Palomar.

Also saw him on PCH. Flying.

Saw others as well but have to go. Bettini was one, riding by himself.