Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 AM

Truth.

This thread is timely: I literally just called my agent 2 weeks ago and said I'm canceling coverage on a particular vehicle and am going with another firm (I've have had same carrier and plan for the past 5 years).

Miraculously, they found a way to cut almost 50% off my annual premium.

(I was rather annoyed with that, as it would've been nice to save that $ over 3-4+ years.)

The threat of pulling business will keep them honest and competitive. Of course coverage & carrier quality is an important factor, not just price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
It pays to shop for insurance every year, if for nothing else it keeps your agent honest.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 AM

I just locked in a GEICO policy with better coverage for 48% of what my renewal was invoiced at. I'm not going to give the agent a chance, as they have been unsuccessful at getting MetLife to remove collision from my 2008 Fit.

Thanks for all the insights. And yes, Angry, the business model is indeed crap. I can see having two insurance companies and altering them annually to keep the rates down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Truth.

This thread is timely: I literally just called my agent 2 weeks ago and said I'm canceling coverage on a particular vehicle and am going with another firm (I've have had same carrier and plan for the past 5 years).

Miraculously, they found a way to cut almost 50% off my annual premium.

(I was rather annoyed with that, as it would've been nice to save that $ over 3-4+ years.)

The threat of pulling business will keep them honest and competitive. Of course coverage & carrier quality is an important factor, not just price.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this is my exact experience as well.

what a crap business model - incentives for new customers and punish loyalty.
Same model as the Telcos/Cable companies.

Had a horrible story like this with Verizon Fios. They all hate my wife and I because we always subscribe to just the cheapest internet plan we can and never buy any of their highly profitable TV packages.

VZ kept raising my rate every year for like 5-6 years till I was paying 2X what new customers were paying, and new customers were getting 2X the bandwidth they were giving me. Finally switched to Comcast and they gave me 2X the bandwidth at half the price of Verizon. 2 Years later they increased my bandwidth even more and I'm still paying barely more than 1/2 Verizon. Within 3 weeks of switching to Comcast I immediately started getting offers from Verizon that were much more generous than what they were offering me as an 8 year loyal customer. (I had the conversation with them on the phone about customer loyalty being penalized and that went nowhere.)

I've been through this same thing with Liberty Mutual and Geico. They play extra games when you're married and have 2 drivers on the policy.

If I go back 5 years we had Met Life. My wife had an at fault accident. Met Life was going to raise her rate a ton, it was a bad accident and she should have gotten a moving violation for it too but the officer at the scene was nice. Liberty Mutual talked her into switching and basically gave us a new policy where she didn't really get penalized for the accident. The next year after that Liberty Mutual tried to essentially double *my* rate even though they didn't really raise her.

We switched to Geico and got a plan that was about 50% of what Liberty Mutual wanted.

Last year I had an at fault thing.. backed into my own brother's car in my driveway. Pretty minor damage but more than the deductible so I filed it.

What does Geico do this year? They raise my rate a little. But they raised my wife's rate a ton, more than mine!

Probably going to switch again next year. The thing is though, Geico is miles better than any other insurance company I've had if you actually need your insurance. (I think I've had Arbella, Commerce, Progressive, All State, Liberty Mutual, Met Life, and Geico.). Geico is flat out amazing at customer service and convenience when you have an accident. They make everything so smooth and easy and reduce the disruptions of getting your car fixed dramatically.

Last edited by benb; 05-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:40 PM

Next time get a quote from Erie.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:46 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
... I have been with USAA for years. When I try to get quotes from other companies and they learn I have USAA the other companies end the call. I haven't tried them all but other high-rated insurers don't seem to think there is any probability their quote would be competitive.
+1 - been with USAA forever....have yet to find better or less expensive.

Biggest rate hike came when I added my "new driver" son last year!