Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator

OT: New Blues - what y'all listening too?

What new Blues are y’all listening to these days? I’m listening to a lot of Blues/Blues Rock but I’ll throw this one out to start with because it surprised me. Who have thunk that I would actually like listening to John Mayer after his poppy beginnings? But I have to admit I like the sound with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan.

William

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c_cE...eature=related

What got into John Mayer? Sometime after the release of his 2003 sophomore album, Heavier Things, a perfectly pleasant affair that expanded on the dreamy, mellow adult pop of his breakthrough hit, "Your Body Is a Wonderland," he decided that he just didn't want to follow that direction anymore. He started penning a monthly column for Esquire magazine, within which he hinted that his musical tastes were far broader than his recordings suggested, and then he started cameoing all over the place, appearing on albums by Buddy Guy, Herbie Hancock, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, and John Scofield -- heavy hitters one and all, yet none of them seemed to have much to do with Mayer's music, at least on the surface. These veterans recognized something within Mayer's playing, but more importantly, he realized that he needed to push himself further and decided to expand his horizons by seizing the opportunity to play with these masters and then incorporating what he learned into his own music. He toured as a power trio with studio pros Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino and recorded the live album Try! while on the road. There are no two ways about it: anybody who dismissed Mayer as a lite Dave Matthews wannabe based on his first two records will be forced to reassess him on the basis of this excellent record. While he still has some vocal tics that bring to mind Matthews and certainly shares an affection for lengthy live jams, Mayer has developed serious chops that transcend boilerplate jam band rock, where the groove and feel is more important than what's played. Here, Mayer is pushed by Jordan and Palladino -- and he pays back the favor by giving them equal billing on the album's front cover, which is unusual for any pop/rock star of his popularity (the cover also marks the second Blue Note allusion in Mayer's oeuvre, which is surely not a coincidence) -- and he rises to the challenge with muscular playing that's his best playing on record. Not just that, but there's a palpable grit to Try! -- and a sultry smoothness to the mellow numbers -- unheard on his previous studio albums. That alone would make Try! not just noteworthy, but a step forward for Mayer. But what makes it more remarkable is that Mayer takes an even greater risk by relying on new material for this album. There are two older songs -- "Something's Missing" and the hit "Daughters," both from Heavier Things -- but the rest consists of covers of Jimi Hendrix and Ray Charles ("Wait Until Tomorrow" and "I Got a Woman," respectively) and new songs that showcase Mayer's earthier, blues-rock direction. Although he sometimes dips into blues-rock clichés -- particularly on the slow-crawling "Out of My Mind" -- it's only on occasion (and when he does tread that familiar ground, he does so with conviction), and the songs overall are his strongest, most ambitious set of tunes yet. And that's what's most impressive about Try! -- Mayer has expanded what he can do as a musician and a writer and in the process has definitively separated himself from the pack of sensitive, jammy modern singer/songwriters. Based on this, he has more heart, soul, ambition, and chops than the rest of them combined. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide
Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Back Door Slam
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Bonnie Raitt, George Faber, Jimmy Smith, etc. Too many more to name.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
88mike

Indigenous
cheers - Fixed October 16, 2007
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

For new, contemporary blues I like Ben Harper, Toumani Diabaté, Ali Farka Touré, Corey Harris, Keb Mo, and Raconteurs latest album, Consolers of the Lonely.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:19 AM

I still like J.J. Cale...the new Roll On album is very good.

William, if you like John Mayer playing blues, you may want to check out the Eric Clapton crossroads concert dvds, especially the 2007 concert in Chicago. There is lots of great blues music. The other one was in Austin, i think, and had some old time blues guys.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Mark

Eric Steckel, Keb' Mo, Jimmy Thackery, Sonny Landreth, Michael Burks, Joanna Connor, Albert Cummings, Stoney Curtis, Craig Erickson, Van Wilks, Joe Bonamassa, Wes Jeans, Jay Gordon, and Aynsley Lister to name a few.

Mark
Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up Tinariwen

In addition to many of the names already listed, I think Tinariwen are absolutely great.
Very, very, very tight!

"Assouf" (great guitar/bass).
"Mataraden Anexan" (great live version/great audience...viva Ferrara!!!
"Chet Boghassa" (great rhythm).
"Cler Achel" (great mellow live vibe).
"Awa Didjen" (pure blues...amazing).
"Amassakoul" (great call/response).

Last edited by cadence90; 08-07-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
slow, but working on it.

Clarence Spady.

If only he could clean himself up enough to show the world his brilliance as a guitarist/songwriter. Ah well.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Charlie Musselwhite. Can't get enough of him. Jeff N.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Scott Henderson
listen here....
http://www.scotthenderson.net/live.htm
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Anyone listen to Bugs Henderson & the Shuffle kings?

http://www.bugshenderson.com/bh/index.asp

William
Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

bedford>>>>.LUST PLUS

Bruce is singing the blue bedford and longin for those climbs in Colorado next week....
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotta_Pete
Bruce is singing the blue bedford and longin for those climbs in Colorado next week....
He'll be singing the Blues for sure on those climbs.

William
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
sippin'

Robert Randolph and the Family Band....

Opened for Robert Cray not to long ago and to quote: "How the hell am I supposed to follow those guys?!"