Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Should I buy this Chris King wheelset?

https://rochester.craigslist.org/bop...349195353.html

There is a Chris King Classic/Mavic Open Pro wheelset on Craigslist in Rochester for $300.

I don't need new wheels, but these look nice and I may be able to rationalize buying them. My only concern is I won't be able to find someone with the proprietary Chris King tools when the hub needs to be rebuilt.

I'll probably start out with 10-speed SRAM Red, but, just so I know for the future, will 11-speed Ultegra R8000 11-34 or Deore XT 11-42 cassettes work on this hub like they would on Shimano 10-speed road hubs?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
(snip) will 11-speed Ultegra R8000 11-34 or Deore XT 11-42 cassettes work on this hub like they would on Shimano 10-speed road hubs?
Yessir, I have a CK Classic 10s hub running the 11s HG800 11-34 cassette with no problems.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 AM

I have this exact wheel build. At $300 YES you should buy them. Or better yet go Tubular my Open Pro's just stay in the wheel bag now (I wouldn't sell them for $300 and they are in worse shape then the photos show on this wheelset). All my Nemesis wheelset's have King Classics. I have a wheelset with King R45's too. I prefer the Classics over the newer R45.

Trust me you wont need to replace any bearings for a long time. The hubs don't even break in until ~2500 miles. Seriously I took my Open Pro wheels back to the shop that built them and complained, "The freewheel keeps sticking I don't feel like hub is broke-in what's wrong? His response was priceless, "Oh really you mean you don't have 2500 miles on your new King hub yet". I just turned around and rode my bike home. Kinda like a Brooks saddle everyone complains until they are broke-in then no other saddle compares (does the saddle or your butt break-in?).

If you want to subdue the angry bees just put dab of Mobile One synthetic oil in the hub. I put my finger in the bottle of oil then wipe off the excess in the hub. It just takes a little bit.

Last edited by Satellite; 10-19-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:58 AM

I have a very similar set. Classic CK hubs in blue with Open Pro ceramic coated rims. You cannot go wrong with those wheels. Stop pondering and pull the trigger
Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
Yessir, I have a CK Classic 10s hub running the 11s HG800 11-34 cassette with no problems.
I was under the impression that classics s are 10 speed and lower only.

This makes me happy to hear. I'd like to go etap but adding new wheels makes for too large of an upgrade. Now I'll consider it.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:03 AM

The CK hub special tools are absolutely not required for regular clean and lube jobs. All you need for that are two 5mm allens and one 2.5mm if it's a collar type axle and a couple of jeweler's screwdrivers to remove the hub seals.

Rebuilding? Of course they could break but the hubs are very well made and the bearings are some of the most durable. Unless you really try to trash them they will keep rolling with basic care and get smoother with every mile. And the best part is, even if the bearings and drive rings get completely abused by wet muddy rides, a good clean and lube is all that's needed to get them working like new.

Last edited by moobikes; 10-19-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I was under the impression that classics s are 10 speed and lower only.
they are. can't be upgraded to 11.

solid deal if you plan on sticking with 10 speed. otherwise, not so good. unless you're OK with sticking with the couple cassettes you mentioned...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 AM

My concern would be who built them?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:37 AM
Administrator

meh, i'd pass at that price personally.

if these wheels are for road, i'd want the ability to run road cassettes, 12-27 or similar, which you cant on these for 11 speed.

11-34 and higher in 11sp will work with the new crop of cassettes, but those ratios are a little silly for road riding, generally speaking.

if they are gravel bike, adventure wheels where you will make sue of the low low gearing, i would want wider rims to accompany wider tires.

they are OK wheels, and may be just what you're after, but personally - i could build a better set of wheels for that much money.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Shimano 11 speed MTB cassettes do not require the newer 11 speed road cassette body and mount on the normal 7/8/9/10 speed freehub.

They look like they are in nice shape, I'd say the hubs are worth at least that much!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Shimano 11 speed MTB cassettes do not require the newer 11 speed road cassette body and mount on the normal 7/8/9/10 speed freehub.

They look like they are in nice shape, I'd say the hubs are worth at least that much!
I agree with Mr AngryScientist..if these were R45 hubs, convertible, I'd say well worth it but, like it or don't, 11s is here and yes, there are a lot of 10s cogsets out there but in a few years, 10s road shifters may be scarce..
Old 10-19-2017, 07:51 AM

I too would pass.

1. They are used. You don't know what they've been through (potholes, etc).
2. Looks like plain round DT spokes, nothing special.
3. You don't know who built them, how well they are put together.
4. They are 10 speed. Despite what others said, you may not be happy with the compatibility options..
5. I've owned CK hubs before.....yes they look nice, but the reality is, Ultegra hubs will serve you just as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 AM

I'd grab them for gravel riding on that 11-34 Ultegra cassette for sure..

I'm interested if you don't end up with them..
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
11-34 and higher in 11sp will work with the new crop of cassettes, but those ratios are a little silly for road riding, generally speaking.
I was going to say, if you like tightly spaced cogs, the 11-34 has some really big jumps all through the range. Have to consider if that will meet your needs.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 AM

I've owned three sets of King hubs, over 17 years. In that time, I've ridden them in bad weather, bad conditions (MTB and road), and raced them. I've only had one set serviced (which required taking to a shop with the hub tool), and that was after 13 years.

Normal freehub lubing is easy, which I've done - can be done with 2 allen keys.

I like them, a lot. I like that I can ride them and not have to do much to them to keep them going.

The price of $300 is a good deal, but not a killer "can't afford not to" deal, for a 10 speed or less compatible set. If they were $200 I'd say buy them. More of them are on the market since the 11-speed thing happened.